Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

An automated car wash caused major damage along the driver's side. Am I at fault?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Muggster
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An automated car wash damaged my Stingray

I'll start out this horror story by admitting to some pretty poor judgement. I was on my way to a birthday party for my Grandpa, and hadn't had time to hand wash my 2015 Stringray. In a moment of haste and vanity, I decided to risk an automatic car wash on my way out of town.

My worst nightmare happened, and a metal plate at the end of the track stuck in an upwards position and gouged the fiberglass as I exited the car wash. It was the worst cracking/grinding noise you've ever heard.

I immediately took pictures and notified the car wash attendant. He also took pictures and my contact info. I talked to the manager the next day and he agreed to take care of the repair, which is estimated at around $4000 by a local body shop.

The repair is going to take 9 days, so I asked the manager if he's covering the cost of a rental car. He started getting pretty defensive, and stated that he was paying this out of pocket since his deductible was $5000. He added that he can't turn in a claim without his insurance dropping him. I reiterated that the repair was going to take 9 days, and he made a comment like "well let's just get it taken care of".

Then I brought up the issue of diminished value. Even with a perfect repair, I feel like I've suffered a loss to the overall value of my car. Am I completely off base with that thought?

He pretty much flatly refused to help me with any diminished value, so I left to get repairs scheduled with the body shop.

While I'm waiting on the body shop, I feel like it's in my best interest to write up an agreement for the car wash manager to sign. Should I just be happy that he's paying for repairs and MAYBE a rental car? Or should I stick to my guns and demand compensation for diminished value as well? It seems like I'm reading alot of conflicting thoughts about that online. Has anyone here dealt with a similar scenario?

As an interesting side note, the manager was driving a Tesla P85. He commented that he would NEVER take his car through his own car wash.

Any advise or guidance on how to proceed is GREATLY appreciated. Pictures of the damage and offending car wash included below.

Last edited by Muggster; 10-25-2015 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Simplified title.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:59 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I would consult an attorney or ask for professional legal help .....
Old 10-26-2015, 03:19 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

I would be satisfied that the Manager is going to cover your repairs and possibly rental car. I believe the owners manual advises against using these type of auto washes.
After your Vette is repaired and paid for by the Manager you can pursue the possibility of diminished value.
My first priority would be a paid for quality repair.
The following 2 users liked this post by dvilin:
Muggster (10-26-2015), z06clif (06-24-2016)
Old 10-26-2015, 03:27 PM
CyberGrayGS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I would be satisfied that the Manager is going to cover your repairs and possibly rental car. I believe the owners manual advises against using these type of auto washes.
After your Vette is repaired and paid for by the Manager you can pursue the possibility of diminished value.
The following users liked this post:
Muggster (10-26-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 12:17 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts

My bet to properly repair the damage it would take 2 or 3 times $4,000.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Muggster
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ztheusa
Aside from the obvious body repair, what other damage should I be looking for?
Old 10-28-2015, 09:58 AM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

I would stop pissin the manager off. Get your car fixed to your satisfaction and then pursue any legal action..
Old 10-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Muggster
4th Gear

Originally Posted by justplainjim
I would stop pissin the manager off. Get your car fixed to your satisfaction and then pursue any legal action..
Aside from mentioning the diminished value the first time we talked, I've been pretty careful to be as nice as possible and work with the car wash manager. I called him yesterday to ask how he wants to handle the rental car, and he suggested that he has a personal car I can borrow. Somehow I doubt that he has his Tesla in mind.

All joking aside, I don't really care WHAT I drive during the repairs as long as I have something to get back and forth to work. I'll drive my wife's car in the evenings.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:18 PM
243win
Cruising

Doubt you'll receive compensation for "diminished value" if you went thru his insurance company. This is the risk of owning a car......take the deal and be sure the work is done properly.

Oh, and stay outta those automatic car washes.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:38 AM
Martinez310
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15,'19

that scary ill be mad if that happened to my car hope everything goes well
Old 05-22-2016, 07:03 PM
jaymedic44
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Muggster
I'll start out this horror story by admitting to some pretty poor judgement. I was on my way to a birthday party for my Grandpa, and hadn't had time to hand wash my 2015 Stringray. In a moment of haste and vanity, I decided to risk an automatic car wash on my way out of town.

My worst nightmare happened, and a metal plate at the end of the track stuck in an upwards position and gouged the fiberglass as I exited the car wash. It was the worst cracking/grinding noise you've ever heard.

I immediately took pictures and notified the car wash attendant. He also took pictures and my contact info. I talked to the manager the next day and he agreed to take care of the repair, which is estimated at around $4000 by a local body shop.

The repair is going to take 9 days, so I asked the manager if he's covering the cost of a rental car. He started getting pretty defensive, and stated that he was paying this out of pocket since his deductible was $5000. He added that he can't turn in a claim without his insurance dropping him. I reiterated that the repair was going to take 9 days, and he made a comment like "well let's just get it taken care of".

Then I brought up the issue of diminished value. Even with a perfect repair, I feel like I've suffered a loss to the overall value of my car. Am I completely off base with that thought?

He pretty much flatly refused to help me with any diminished value, so I left to get repairs scheduled with the body shop.

While I'm waiting on the body shop, I feel like it's in my best interest to write up an agreement for the car wash manager to sign. Should I just be happy that he's paying for repairs and MAYBE a rental car? Or should I stick to my guns and demand compensation for diminished value as well? It seems like I'm reading alot of conflicting thoughts about that online. Has anyone here dealt with a similar scenario?

As an interesting side note, the manager was driving a Tesla P85. He commented that he would NEVER take his car through his own car wash.

Any advise or guidance on how to proceed is GREATLY appreciated. Pictures of the damage and offending car wash included below.

I'm shocked that you would take a Corvette thru a car wash
Old 05-22-2016, 08:51 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by jaymedic44
I'm shocked that you would take a Corvette thru a car wash
I'm shocked that you resurrected a thread this old......
Old 05-23-2016, 09:37 AM
hb4lthr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is distressing, but as others have said, you need to stay out of automated car washes...period. I would also contact your insurance and see what they recommend. As far as diminished value that will be a hard one to get them to reimburse you as all cars depreciate. For now I would focus on finding a reputable garage to not only correct the obvious damage but inspect the entire car for any other non visible damage.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:26 AM
hb4lthr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would also check your wheels to see if they didn't sustain any damage
Old 05-24-2016, 12:42 PM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa
Old 06-24-2016, 11:13 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
but I wouldnt hold my breath without a Lawyer

Clif

Get notified of new replies

To An automated car wash caused major damage along the driver's side. Am I at fault?

Quick Reply: An automated car wash caused major damage along the driver's side. Am I at fault?