Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino Steps

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:57 PM
BlackandTan2004
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Zaino Steps

Hey guys! Just got my Zaino Show Car kit and I can't wait to get after it! I just want to verify that I got the steps in the right order. I have never Zaino'd anything, but I am very familiar with properly caring for and washing a car. Below is how I plan to tackle the Vette with the Zaino. My car has never been driven in the rain and has light swirls from washing (Previous owner). Let me know your thoughts!

1.) Wash with dawn dish soap and thoroughly rinse. (2 bucket)
2.) Clay Bar with Z18 and their recommended lubricant mix
3.) Wash the wheels and exhaust with separate bucket and tools Z-7
4.) Wash car with Zaino Z-7 Show Car Wash (2 bucket)
5.) Blow dry car and then use Microfibers for any remaining water
6.) Apply Z-5 Polish following Zaino steps and their accelerator
7.) Buff Out lightly with MF towel
8.) Wipe the car down with Z-6
9.) Apply Z-2 Polish following steps and their accelerator
10.) Buff Out lightly with MF towel
11.) Wipe the car down with Z-6
12.) Apply Z-2 Polish following steps and their accelerator
13.) Buff Out lightly with MF towel
14.) Dress the tires
15.) Invisible glass the windows

Using the accelerator I have read that all I need to do is let it set for about 30 minutes between each coat. I'll also add additional steps of Z-5 if need be.

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2016, 04:58 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Sounds pretty good to me A finish with Z8 will give you a bit more pop on the shine and additional slipperiness. After your coats of Z5 and Z2, I really like the Clear Sealant followed by Z8. Your regimen will work fine. Z6 touchups with a good microfiber will keep it looking like it was just detailed. Have fun.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks good. I actually do the windows and tires while waiting for the Z to dry. They say to use Z6 between each coat buy I'm not sure that is entirely necessary. I always finish with Z6 though as it cleans up any missed Zaino spots.

Can't say it enough, use light coats. I did two coat on my Vette and two coats on my Honda Civic today and didn't even use a full ounce. Also, if you're going to do multiple coats of Z5 I'd do those back to back and top with the Z2. IMO Z2 has a better shine to it.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:28 AM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm on my way out to do my wife's car for the first application ever of Zaino. I did the Dawn wash prep yesterday. I've been using Zaino on my other cars for about 6-7 years and it really is a great product. I follow the steps recommended by the Zaino store.

One of the steps I noticed you didn't mention is the application of Z-AIO. I don't know if this step is absolutely necessary (I'm no expert) but thought I'd mention it.

From the Zaino Store http://www.zainostore.com/applic_tips.html
Step 2 - Remove Contaminants & Prepare The Surface
Feel all paint surfaces. They should be glassy smooth. Contaminated rough areas are quickly minimized using Zaino Z-18 Claybar™ and a soap and water lubricant. Re-wash and dry the treated areas.
Look for hazy paint, swirl marks or fine scratches. Imperfections are reduced using Zaino's Z-PC Fusion™ paint cleaner and swirl remover.
Add a light coat of Z-AIO™ to all paint as the foundation and bonding agent. Remove with clean, soft towels.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:53 AM
BlackandTan2004
Racer

Originally Posted by oldgoat99
I'm on my way out to do my wife's car for the first application ever of Zaino. I did the Dawn wash prep yesterday. I've been using Zaino on my other cars for about 6-7 years and it really is a great product. I follow the steps recommended by the Zaino store.

One of the steps I noticed you didn't mention is the application of Z-AIO. I don't know if this step is absolutely necessary (I'm no expert) but thought I'd mention it.

From the Zaino Store http://www.zainostore.com/applic_tips.html

Thanks! The Z-AIO did not come in the show car kit I ordered and when reading their supplied directions it sounded like it was not needed since I used the cure accelerator.

I took 7.5 hours from start to finish and put on 2 coats of the Z-5 and one of the Z-2. I am now a believer.

Incredibly easy to work with and I did finish up with the Z-6......

The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (05-14-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 11:39 AM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I went back and reread the stuff on the Zaino site and you are right about Zaio not being necessary. I could be wrong but I think they may have changed the requirements somewhere along the line over the years??

Your car looks great!
Old 05-13-2016, 08:53 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Looks good

You'll get quicker as you use it. I did two coats on my vette and two on my civic in about 3 hours last weekend. That time included washing and doing all the miscellaneous stuff like windows in and out and dash etc.

From my understanding Zaino recommends using either ZAIO, ZFX or CS the first coat of the year. After that then you can just use Z2 or 5. I know there are guys on here that just go right to Z2 or 5 and haven't had any issues so if it's really necessary or not IDK.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:13 PM
BlackandTan2004
Racer

Yeah I spent a lot of time washing it both times and really making sure the car was dry. I think I'll put another coat of Z-5 and Z-2 in June. Zaino has made me a believer. I think I did pretty good only used 1.5 oz of Z-5 and a shade more than a .5 oz of Z-2. Not bad for a first timer.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:23 PM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts

I am going to attempt the Z5/Z2 application this weekend. Does everyone apply by hand or have you used a DA?
Old 05-17-2016, 12:53 PM
BlackandTan2004
Racer

I did it by hand..... And my right shoulder was sore as hell the next day. And of course I got no sympathy from my PT wife.....
peteinpa (05-18-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 09:41 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

I always do it by hand too. I think you'd use too much product with a DA.
peteinpa (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 07:43 AM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts

I assume that any significant paint correction would be done before applying the Zaino? I have a vert and there is some correction needed on the panel between the tournou cover and the trunk lid. Rest of the panels are fine.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:52 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by peteinpa
I assume that any significant paint correction would be done before applying the Zaino? I have a vert and there is some correction needed on the panel between the tournou cover and the trunk lid. Rest of the panels are fine.
Yes. Like any sealant or wax do your correction first.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:08 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Sounds pretty good to me A finish with Z8 will give you a bit more pop on the shine and additional slipperiness. After your coats of Z5 and Z2, I really like the Clear Sealant followed by Z8. Your regimen will work fine. Z6 touchups with a good microfiber will keep it looking like it was just detailed. Have fun.
Is the Z-8 first before the ZCS or is it the other way around? I thought the ZCS is the last step.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:12 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oldgoat99
Yeah, I went back and reread the stuff on the Zaino site and you are right about Zaio not being necessary. I could be wrong but I think they may have changed the requirements somewhere along the line over the years??

Your car looks great!
I went through the whole Zaino process from Z-2 to Z-5 using ZFX. Now that I have a bad back and neck all I do is use the Z-7, with AIO with Z-6, Z-8 and ZCS. Had to cut down the steps and applications because of bad back and neck.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:48 AM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS WON
Is the Z-8 first before the ZCS or is it the other way around? I thought the ZCS is the last step.
Z8 after. It's basically a detail spray but has some protective qualities to it. ZCS is like a sealant that you don't have to wipe off. I typically do Z6 after ZCS (I didn't see much difference between it and Z8 so I don't spend the extra on it) just to buff off any streaks from ZCS I might have from putting it on too heavy in areas.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:49 AM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

I went through the whole Zaino process from Z-2 to Z-5 using ZFX. Now that I have a bad back and neck all I do is use the Z-7, with AIO with Z-6, Z-8 and ZCS. Had to cut down the steps and applications because of bad back and neck.
Nothing wrong with that. A lot of people just use AIO and ZCS with great results.
LS WON (05-20-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino Steps

Old 05-20-2016, 09:58 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SmokinZ51
Nothing wrong with that. A lot of people just use AIO and ZCS with great results.
Sounds good to me. In fact that's all I have left a quarter bottle of AIO, full bottle of Z8 and less than an ounce of ZCS left. It's been over 7 years.
Ok then the ZCS goes on first and then the detail spray Z-6 or Z-8 goes on last?

Last edited by LS WON; 05-20-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:33 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Sounds good to me. In fact that's all I have left a quarter bottle of AIO, full bottle of Z8 and less than an ounce of ZCS left. It's been over 7 years.
Ok then the ZCS goes on first and then the detail spray Z-6 or Z-8 goes on last?
Yes sir
Old 05-21-2016, 01:35 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SmokinZ51
Yes sir

Quick Reply: Zaino Steps