Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Tried Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:26 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts
Default Tried Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light

CliffsNotes: Corvette owner coated his Chevy Cruze with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light (which we don't hear about often). Owner is impressed with the ease of application of the product and it's water beading performance and will monitor beading performance over time.

Background:
When I bought my C7 late last year I ended up coating it with BlackFire Crystal Coat and have been impressed with the performance of the coating, but wasn't super impressed with the way that it coated when applying it. When applying it, it would never flatten out like I thought it should and would require quite a bit of buffing. In hindsight, I think the brand new bottle was simply old or had begun curing already. With a good amount of buffing, it worked out and I've been happy with the results. I did take it through the dawn wash, clay bar, polish, and degreasing routine so I don't believe that my process played a role in its behavior.

Fast Forward:
After getting my C7, I ended up getting a Cruze for my daily driver and wanted to coat it. A few months back, I came across a good buy on Gtechniq's Crystal Serum Light and thought I'd give it a try. I finally got around to applying it to the Cruze over the weekend using the following process:

1. Washed in Dawn.
2. "Clay barred" with Eagle 1 clay mitt
3. Polished with Menzerna SF-3800 using 6" Lake County Black Foam Pad
4. Wiped down with 20% IPA.
5. Coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light using a Lake County foam applicator
6. Coating was allowed to cure for 24 hrs.

I found that the Crystal Serum Light flattened out super nice and dried nice and clear. It needed a little buffing, but NOTHING compared to the BlackFire Crystal Coat. The two products appear to be very similar in nature, but I think the big difference is the way that the product is packaged. The Gtechniq comes in a nice sealed glass bottle where the BlackFire CC comes in a plastic squeeze bottle, that I suspect does not seal as well as the glass bottle and therefore begins curing prematurely. The instructions on the Gtechniq website indicate to use it within 1 year of purchase and 3 months after opening. I couldn't find any similar storage guidance for the BFCC. So after allowing the GCSL to cure for 24 hrs, I hit it with some water and am impressed with the beading action so far. Since the Cruze is my daily, I'm anxious to see how well the coating holds up. According to the Gtechniq website, it has a 3 to 5 year durability. If it continues to hold up as well as the BFCC that's on my C7, the Gtechniq will be my go to coating going forward. Here's a little video of how it beads...

Last edited by lakemg; 06-27-2016 at 08:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lakemg:
joemessman (06-28-2016), ronkh57 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 08:30 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Is this a thread about a Cruze or is it a thread selling stuff?
Old 06-27-2016, 08:36 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Steve_R
It's about a product that you can use on your Corvette, your rustang, your lawn mower, your Camaro, whatever you choose. Just giving others a product review, in case they are on the fence about trying a new detail product...
The following users liked this post:
pdiddy972 (12-30-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 08:36 PM
RichinCincy
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Pretty sure it was about a sealer.............. sooooo many dicks on this forum....
The following 2 users liked this post by RichinCincy:
joeybsyc (06-29-2016), red62vette (12-19-2017)
Old 06-27-2016, 08:38 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RichinCincy
Pretty sure it was about a sealer.............. sooooo many dicks on this forum....
LOL - you got that right!!
Old 06-27-2016, 08:46 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Thanks for the review. Sounds like an easy to use product.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:34 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Thanks for posting.

I got a csl/exo kit in garage right now.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ronkh57
Thanks for posting.

I got a csl/exo kit in garage right now.
Thanks guys!!!

Hey Ron - That's the kit I got too, but I held off on applying the EXO to see how the CSL beading performance looked by itself because I couldn't find a whole lot of video observations on line with just the CSL applied. I plan to top the CSL with the EXO the next time I get some freetime. I read that both are great stand alone products, but they are really great when used together. I will report back once I get a chance to apply the EXO...
Old 06-27-2016, 10:36 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 481 Posts
Tech Contributor

Well done, there are so many products out there these days to make it easy to keep your car in good shape. i've heard more negative things about blackfire Crystal coat that I have positive.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:46 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Glen e
Well done, there are so many products out there these days to make it easy to keep your car in good shape. i've heard more negative things about blackfire Crystal coat that I have positive.
Thanks Glen, but I got to hand it to you and Ron for coaching me along the way...with answering my PM questions and sharing your knowledge with us.

I read a bad review of the BFCC somewhere and the reviewer described similar issues to what I experienced, so it's nice knowing that there are good alternatives available out there for us.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:48 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg
CliffsNotes: Corvette owner coated his Chevy Cruze with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light (which we don't hear about often). Owner is impressed with the ease of application of the product and it's water beading performance and will monitor beading performance over time.

Background:
When I bought my C7 late last year I ended up coating it with BlackFire Crystal Coat and have been impressed with the performance of the coating, but wasn't super impressed with the way that it coated when applying it. When applying it, it would never flatten out like I thought it should and would require quite a bit of buffing. In hindsight, I think the brand new bottle was simply old or had begun curing already. With a good amount of buffing, it worked out and I've been happy with the results. I did take it through the dawn wash, clay bar, polish, and degreasing routine so I don't believe that my process played a role in its behavior.

Fast Forward:
After getting my C7, I ended up getting a Cruze for my daily driver and wanted to coat it. A few months back, I came across a good buy on Gtechniq's Crystal Serum Light and thought I'd give it a try. I finally got around to applying it to the Cruze over the weekend using the following process:

1. Washed in Dawn.
2. "Clay barred" with Eagle 1 clay mitt
3. Polished with Menzerna SF-3800 using 6" Lake County Black Foam Pad
4. Wiped down with 20% IPA.
5. Coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light using a Lake County foam applicator
6. Coating was allowed to cure for 24 hrs.

I found that the Crystal Serum Light flattened out super nice and dried nice and clear. It needed a little buffing, but NOTHING compared to the BlackFire Crystal Coat. The two products appear to be very similar in nature, but I think the big difference is the way that the product is packaged. The Gtechniq comes in a nice sealed glass bottle where the BlackFire CC comes in a plastic squeeze bottle, that I suspect does not seal as well as the glass bottle and therefore begins curing prematurely. The instructions on the Gtechniq website indicate to use it within 1 year of purchase and 3 months after opening. I couldn't find any similar storage guidance for the BFCC. So after allowing the GCSL to cure for 24 hrs, I hit it with some water and am impressed with the beading action so far. Since the Cruze is my daily, I'm anxious to see how well the coating holds up. According to the Gtechniq website, it has a 3 to 5 year durability. If it continues to hold up as well as the BFCC that's on my C7, the Gtechniq will be my go to coating going forward. Here's a little video of how it beads...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVbuh6KlowY
Your steps 1 thru 6 is the best way to detail a car, and using the Eagle 1 glove was extra smart. Good job!

Old 12-19-2017, 10:40 PM
Soonere39
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for the review. I looking to try this in the spring.

Get notified of new replies

To Tried Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light

Quick Reply: Tried Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light