Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wheel Care

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:05 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Wheel Care

What do the detailing gurus recommend for:

1. Cleaning / brightening unfinished aluminum wheel barrels

2. Polishing / protecting chrome wheel faces

Thanks in advance.

BIGMAC
Old 12-19-2016, 05:50 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I will NEVER again buy uncoated high polished wheels. I have tried all sorts of metal polishes, nubs, and tools. The challenge is that that type of material is constantly in a state of decay. They are literally oxidizing in the environment. What I did find is that I polished them well and immediately applied G-techniqs Wheel Armor Coating. It was an amazing product and the only reason I never had my Iforged Wheels replaced.

Chrome is quite durable and when kept up, is quite durable. I would suggest Griots Chrome Wheel Cleaner. You can use chrome wheel polish as desired. I would then also coat them and G-Techniq Wheel Armor works well. The main hint around chrome face wheels ... try to avoid long term water and brake pad material exposure. The coating will help against that, and best of all make cleanup quicker. Often times, only car soap and water is needed.

http://www.autogeek.net/gtechniq-c5-wheel-armor.html

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 12-19-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:12 PM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGMAC

Thanks in advance.

BIGMAC
As mine is not driven in rain, I just wipe mine down with Invisible Glass and put a coat of wax on each week. After 4 years they still look new
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2016, 09:59 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I will NEVER again buy uncoated high polished wheels. I have tried all sorts of metal polishes, nubs, and tools. The challenge is that that type of material is constantly in a state of decay. They are literally oxidizing in the environment. What I did find is that I polished them well and immediately applied G-techniqs Wheel Armor Coating. It was an amazing product and the only reason I never had my Iforged Wheels replaced.

Chrome is quite durable and when kept up, is quite durable. I would suggest Griots Chrome Wheel Cleaner. You can use chrome wheel polish as desired. I would then also coat them and G-Techniq Wheel Armor works well. The main hint around chrome face wheels ... try to avoid long term water and brake pad material exposure. The coating will help against that, and best of all make cleanup quicker. Often times, only car soap and water is needed.

http://www.autogeek.net/gtechniq-c5-wheel-armor.html
I have uncoated wheels and was planning to coat them with the Wolfgang Uber ceramic coating after I polish them up. Have you heard any feedback on the WUCC when applied to wheels?
Old 12-23-2016, 12:26 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
I have uncoated wheels and was planning to coat them with the Wolfgang Uber ceramic coating after I polish them up. Have you heard any feedback on the WUCC when applied to wheels?
I have Wolfgang Uber Coating on my daily driver and the high-polished/coated wheels. Love it ... but have not heard or used on uncoated wheels. Now I did apply G-Techniq Armor to the uncoated Iforged Wheels and would NOT hesitate to use it again.

If you choose Wolfgang, just test in a small spot on barrel first. I suspect it will work equally well.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:32 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I have Wolfgang Uber Coating on my daily driver and the high-polished/coated wheels. Love it ... but have not heard or used on uncoated wheels. Now I did apply G-Techniq Armor to the uncoated Iforged Wheels and would NOT hesitate to use it again.

If you choose Wolfgang, just test in a small spot on barrel first. I suspect it will work equally well.

Thanks Killer wheels, I appreciate the follow up.
The following users liked this post:
Killrwheels@Autogeek (12-25-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 08:32 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Thanks in advance.

BIGMAC
I appreciate the replies but I am really looking for a product to clean and brighten the rough finish un-coated aluminum wheel barrel. The product needs to be strong enough to take care of the oxidation and pitting but not damage the chrome face of the wheel. I have been using Loctite Aluminum Jelly:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/s_t...inum-Jelly.htm
...but I am having trouble getting it plus I am wondering if there is a better product out there.

BIGMAC
Old 12-28-2016, 01:44 PM
Jim D.
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I appreciate the replies but I am really looking for a product to clean and brighten the rough finish un-coated aluminum wheel barrel. The product needs to be strong enough to take care of the oxidation and pitting but not damage the chrome face of the wheel. I have been using Loctite Aluminum Jelly:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/s_t...inum-Jelly.htm
...but I am having trouble getting it plus I am wondering if there is a better product out there.

BIGMAC
Not having used jelly products in ages, my more recent experience has been that pitting would generally only be removed by a traditional polishing/leveling the surface, with a product like Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and a PowerBall Mini, for example. You might want to use a product like Polished Aluminum Wheel Cleaner prior to that, and this would be safe for the chrome face; it's a mildly-acidic formula that is safe for most all wheel finishes except for anodized.

Mothers also has a more aggressive polish and ball, the PowerMetal Scratch Remover and PowerBall MiniMD which can cut a lot more, and should be followed with

For better clarity on what you're asking, perhaps some photos of both the front and back, and details on the wheel spec would be helpful -- year/model or brand/model of wheel.

My assumption has been that factory wheels are painted in the backside/barrel, yes?

If it's an aftermarket wheel, it could be almost anything, finish-wise.

The jelly products in the past have tended to be acidic, but their jelly formula helps control where you put them and avoids getting them on surfaces which may be adversely affected by them. When it says it's a "polish" it's really the acid etching into the surface and removing the surface level of the oxidation, but it won't remove pits (however it may make them less visible.

Certainly follow with one of the wheel protection products discussed above.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:35 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jim D.
For better clarity on what you're asking, perhaps some photos of both the front and back, and details on the wheel spec would be helpful -- year/model or brand/model of wheel.
Here are pics of what I am looking to improve. The wheels are OEM 2008 22" Escalade and OEM 1997-1999 C5 "Wagon Wheels" with aftermarket chrome plating on the face. Both are unpainted unfinished aluminum on the barrel. I am trying to take the lazy way by improving the finish without taking them off or using a polish.

BIGMAC
Attached Images   
Old 01-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Jim D.
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here are pics of what I am looking to improve. The wheels are OEM 2008 22" Escalade and OEM 1997-1999 C5 "Wagon Wheels" with aftermarket chrome plating on the face. Both are unpainted unfinished aluminum on the barrel. I am trying to take the lazy way by improving the finish without taking them off or using a polish.

BIGMAC
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you... still catching-up after the holidays.

There is likely no "lazy way" for this.

I think your only "lazy way" choices are either an aluminum wheel cleaner or some sort of strong "aluminum brightener" product. Certainly worth a try. The jelly product would be in that latter category. Neither will remove the pitting, but it should make it less obvious.

Seems odd they did not coat the backside of the wheels.

But to get rid of that pitting for sure, I think you'd have to do a sand and polish.

I have noticed that many most OEMs seem to paint the backside of their chrome wheels a discrete grey color, and that may be your best choice if one of the above techniques does not work to your satisfaction.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:53 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim D.
There is likely no "lazy way" for this.

I have noticed that many most OEMs seem to paint the backside of their chrome wheels a discrete grey color, and that may be your best choice if one of the above techniques does not work to your satisfaction.
^ This.

I'd thoroughly clean the barrels, paint them black of grey and them apply a paint sealant or coating. The paint will fill in the smaller pitting and the flat/satin finish will tend to obscure any pitting that remains.

Last edited by LT1xL82; 01-05-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:53 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

BIGMAC
You're going to need something powerful like this
Old 01-15-2017, 10:15 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

This video is a little more helpful on steps and parts

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Care

Quick Reply: Wheel Care