Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:38 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Zaino question

Long time Zaino user here (15+ years). Looking at the Zaino website, I see a couple application instructions that are either recent or I never noticed them before? Referring to INITIAL application...

From General Application Instructions:
  • Add a light coat of Z-AIO™ to all paint as the foundation and bonding agent. Remove with clean, soft towels.

From Z2 Application Instructions:
  • For your initial application, enable Z-2 PRO™ by mixing with ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator as directed by the instructions included with ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator. It is critical that you use ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator with Z-2 PRO™ for the initial application

I have never heard that I was supposed to use AIO as a "base"?

I also never heard that I "had" to use ZFX for the first coat of Z2 (although I always have). I was always told ZFX was optional?

I sent an email to Zaino, but never heard back.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I reached out to them when I first started with it five years ago and they said they recommend using either ZAIO, ZCS, or Z2 (or Z5) with the ZFX additive for the first coat of the year.

Use ZFX any time you want to put on multiple layers.

There are many here that don't use ZFX or any "base" product with no noticeable difference.

If you have ZFX use it. If not I wouldn't sweat it.

FWIW, I do like the ZCS as you can wipe it on and just walk away. If you haven't tried it I think it's worth the price.
The following users liked this post:
Choreo (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:19 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Kvothe
I reached out to them when I first started with it five years ago and they said they recommend using either ZAIO, ZCS, or Z2 (or Z5) with the ZFX additive for the first coat of the year.

Use ZFX any time you want to put on multiple layers.

There are many here that don't use ZFX or any "base" product with no noticeable difference.

If you have ZFX use it. If not I wouldn't sweat it.

FWIW, I do like the ZCS as you can wipe it on and just walk away. If you haven't tried it I think it's worth the price.
I usually use the ZCS as a final layer.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:38 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Layering Z2 or Z5 just seems to be a waste of time when superior results are accomplished with Clear Sealant followed by Z8 with minimal effort by comparison.
Street Rat (05-29-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:08 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

i use the ''aio'' and clear seal on daily driver and i'm content with results . . . peace
Old 03-25-2017, 11:23 AM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Part of the reason I stopped using Zaino is because it got too complicated and they have way too many products.

They need to streamline their product line. Seriously.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:54 PM
wizkid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use Z-AIO like Z1. Apply Z2 and you don't have to worry about the flash cure stuff.

I agree with the streamline comment above. Zaino needs to get their product line under control.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:40 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Point of reference and many already know this, I own a detail shop In Silicon Valley and use Zaino.

ZFX replaced Z-1 many, many years ago, it is used to not only bond Z-2/Z-5 to the paint but allows you to put up to three coats in one setting.
AIO, which we go through bottles of, is used as our base product on many cars, creates a nice base for Clear Seal.
We use Clear Seal in several ways. It depends on what the paint manufacturer is trying to achieve.

For instance on a Pearl, we will AIO the car, do one coat of Clear Seal, one coat of Z-2/Z-5, and a final of Clear Seal, with Z-8 in between each coat. The results are simply stunning. Not sure why this is complicated
There are several other options a customer can order using Z-2/Z-5/CS, based on our recommendation, but it is still very easy to figure out
The comments about Zaino needing to make things more simple, just baffles me. As a detailer, and I have seen these comments for years, I find the products incredibly simple to understand and use, even well before being a pro detailer.
I guess I am missing something.
ILLUSHN (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 07:38 AM
wizkid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unsure if you are referring to my post but streamlining and simplifying are two different things.

I also just bumped over to the Zaino website and it is not the most clear website I have read.

Your directions are are straight forward and I am sure very helpful to everyone. I am about to place an order for Zaino for the first time in seven or so years and your recommendation will guide my purchase. Things have changed.

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Point of reference and many already know this, I own a detail shop In Silicon Valley and use Zaino.

ZFX replaced Z-1 many, many years ago, it is used to not only bond Z-2/Z-5 to the paint but allows you to put up to three coats in one setting.
AIO, which we go through bottles of, is used as our base product on many cars, creates a nice base for Clear Seal.
We use Clear Seal in several ways. It depends on what the paint manufacturer is trying to achieve.

For instance on a Pearl, we will AIO the car, do one coat of Clear Seal, one coat of Z-2/Z-5, and a final of Clear Seal, with Z-8 in between each coat. The results are simply stunning. Not sure why this is complicated
There are several other options a customer can order using Z-2/Z-5/CS, based on our recommendation, but it is still very easy to figure out
The comments about Zaino needing to make things more simple, just baffles me. As a detailer, and I have seen these comments for years, I find the products incredibly simple to understand and use, even well before being a pro detailer.
I guess I am missing something.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:25 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm surprised Zaino never developed a coating.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:34 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

I usually start in the spring with a coat of AIO and then layer on the Z5 and Z2. I'll then sometimes finish with CS, and I use Z6 in between coats not Z8 because I'm cheap (Z8 is ridiculously expensive even for Zaino).

Now that my car is OptiCoated (on top of XPEL) I'm interested to see what Zaino does. Hopefully I won't have to clay the thing anymore because of the OptiCoat.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:12 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

This is as simple as it gets: once a year, or maybe twice if it's really bad, I'll use zaino clay bar on my truck while giving it a wash. Dry it off. Then apply z-5 very thin. Let dry. Wipe off, buff away some swirls. Stand back, admire shine, open beer. Done.

I do this perhaps twice a year. The stuff works extraordinarily well, and doesn't have to be made complicated with layers of this, additive that.

I live in northeast, and just did this process last weekend. It's been washed maybe twice since Jan. That's after rain, snow, salt, dirt, and general sloppiness and no taking care of paint whatsoever. Truck gets used and abused. The zaino wax/polish thing I did back in the fall held strong all thru winter. Water actually beaded. Barely, but it still did especially on sides.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 05-23-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Grzldvt1 (05-24-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino question

Quick Reply: Zaino question