Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What was this "goop" that hit my car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 10:05 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default What was this "goop" that hit my car?

Driving home from the DM50 show in Tucson yesterday and either somebody threw something at me, or I hit something in the road. It happened so fast I wasn't sure but leaning toward somebody throwing something since I was passing a big rig.

It was clear, very sticky and stuck like glue. Luckily in the 45 minute ride home it didn't dry very much so WD40 and Turtle Wax bug and tar remover got it off. It did smear when sprayed with those products but still took some effort with microfiber towels to get it to come off completely. My car detailer is getting the last vestiges of it off this morning.

In 50+ years of driving, I have never encountered a substance like this.
Has anybody run across something like this before?
Old 04-10-2017, 01:28 AM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

A few weeks ago upon arriving home I noticed a thick glob of what appeared to be grease on door about the size of a fist (on Mercedez, not Vette). It was night. I instantly washed it with carwash and left it alone overnight as car was dirty and doing more at night was not a good idea to me. Next morning you could see a different color in this area. I washed car then used Adam's Polish revive to polish door followed by wax. Everything then looked fine. Proceeded to polish and wax total car.

After inspecting the wash mitt I used the night before I threw it away to avoid any harm from future use......that is just the way I am !

Quick Reply: What was this "goop" that hit my car?