Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

process

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 11:27 AM
DTA4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default process

So the weather sucks in upstate ny so I figured I would detail my car this weekend. It is a black 03 z
1-wash with dawn dish soap to get everything off
2-claybar
3-wash car again to get crap off (plained on using meguiars car soap)
4-Polish Not sure what to use here any suggestions? I do not have a buffer so I need something that can be done by hand. car was buffed last year but have some light stuff Id like to get out.
5-Seal with Collinte 845 wax

I have clay bar my truck a million times but always just waxed after clay bar not polish but want to do this on my vette. ALso, may be a stupid question if I have my keresene heater on in my two car garage the fumes will not affect any of the finish while I am polishing or waxing will it?
Old 05-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Personally I would not wash with dawn (or any kitchen product) but that's just me.

Check out Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. While you won't get the kind of results you would by using a machine, it can be applied by hand with good results.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DTA4
So the weather sucks in upstate ny so I figured I would detail my car this weekend. It is a black 03 z
1-wash with dawn dish soap to get everything off
2-claybar
3-wash car again to get crap off (plained on using meguiars car soap)
4-Polish Not sure what to use here any suggestions? I do not have a buffer so I need something that can be done by hand. car was buffed last year but have some light stuff Id like to get out.
5-Seal with Collinte 845 wax

I have clay bar my truck a million times but always just waxed after clay bar not polish but want to do this on my vette. ALso, may be a stupid question if I have my keresene heater on in my two car garage the fumes will not affect any of the finish while I am polishing or waxing will it?
personally I would try to get a DA, a backing plate, and some foam pads. I have a PC, and have had it for years, but I also paid I think $179 at lowes for it. They have cheaper ones at Harbor Freight, as my rotary came from there, but I hardly use it, as it vibrates like crazzzzyyy...the PC is smooth as glass. My next paint correction device will be a Flex 3401 VRG.

It isnt hard to do, and I find it relaxing.

my steps are thus:

1. Wash with Dawn, yes, it strips any and all protection from the paint
2. Clay to remove any contaminants. I use it panel by panel, but do your glass as well
3. Meguiars M105/205 as needed in order to polish
4. Hi Temp Akyra Glaze on a black pad, this will really increase the shine and clarity of the clear coat, and I have a black daily driver.
5. After the glaze I use Hi Temp Terminator...this is a polymer sealant, long lasting stuff, and quite durable, once you apply it, wipe it off, and do nothing for 36 hours while it cures, it will actually become shinier during this period.
6. The final touch is Collonite 845, I've been using this stuff for 7-8 years, and it my absolute 'go-to' wax, easy to apply, easy to remove, and lasts like nothing else I've found.

Yes, 6 steps, and doing this it will take you some time. It normally takes me a full weekend to do my truck once a year, up to step 5...

I do this annually to my truck, and my wife's jeep. I've not touched my C4 as of yet, as I have some other items ahead of a detail. As of now it resides in the garage as I'm knocking things out in the evenings and weekends. But absolutely look into a DA, and yes, the one from harbor freight will work just fine...

D.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Need A Vette
My next paint correction device will be a Flex 3401 VRG.
This is the DA polisher I have. Love it.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:20 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Personally I would not wash with dawn (or any kitchen product) but that's just me.
I'm with you on this. Dawn is a strong detergent; over time, it will dry out the rubber, plastic, and vinyl trim. There are plenty of automobile wash products that will do the job. Check the Autogeek website for tips and suggested products.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:55 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Use regular car soap..
From there why are you polishing? Besides possibly cleaning the surface a little, you are not going to get rid of any scratches/swirls by hand.
If there hasn't been anything put on it recently, the lsp is probably degraded enough and the solvents in 845 are pretty high.

So my advice if not getting a buffer......... is

Wash
Clay
wash
dry
colli...
Old 05-05-2017, 08:44 PM
DTA4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback

Get notified of new replies