Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Just a Tip when detailing Xpel'd Vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 11:25 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Just a Tip when detailing Xpel'd Vette

I got over ambitious today and decided to give the C7 a clay bar and wax... I have Xpel on the front half of the car and the lower rockers and I totally forgot about it being there... needless to say thank got I started from the back forward.. the clay bar got caught on the lip of the film and left a bunch of yellow clay right on the edge...

it's kinda hard to tell in that picture thats the best one my phone could get but damn that was only one of them. I damaged the film a little getting it off. The rest of the rocker panel I spent like over 45min getting all the clay off with various tools.

SO Where ever there is film... start in the middle of the film and claybar outwards over the edge.....NO ISSUES

The wax was a piece of cake to get off. I went over the edges of the film and cleaned it up with a good Purdy paint brush when it was all set an done.. I used the canned mothers wax and sprayed my applicator with quick detailer before plunging in..better than water n it helped get the wax off easier. I took a few pictures this isn't the best one but it will do. The car was flawless after 3 hours of hard work...

Also... I waxed the painted black rims too. They look amazing. I used rim a rim polish. Brake dust just washes away the first few washes (kinda) but it does help and man they are ****... I did the inside of the rim too.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:40 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

That'll teach ya!

Last edited by WIC7Diver; 07-12-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:46 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Oh I forgot to post this. I had some 3M Di Noc left over from a different project and it was time for the chrome braces to go.. Exacto Knife, heat gun, and 15min and presto... DONE!
Old 07-15-2017, 07:07 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

LOL, sadly, reading your experience would have saved me $90. I decided to be lazy last week when using a clay bar. I used a few pieces of tape to demarcate my fender PPF border. Well, I should have just taped it off. I know that, but I didn't. So I too ended up with clay at the edge. And, in my haste to remove the clay I disturbed the film . . . I hate it when I do that. The only lucky thing is that it's a very easy piece to cut and replace, so have an appointment. By the way, I tossed the clay and am going to the mitt.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:11 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

The biggest issue is going to hard on the clay.. it's so plyable it just hooked on the vinyl edges. If i would have started on the hood or fenders is be looking at a very different story. I managed to get all the clay off the side rocker and the mirror...i used the clay bar to stick back to most of the clay in the groove. The rocker was harder... I had to use a plastic squeegee I had from my window tinting days and carefully and slowly remove the clay. I didn't think about the clay getting stuck till it was too late... I guess you live and learn 😁
Old 07-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts

NmtMev:

I have Xpel and Suntek covering the front of mine as well. I used a claymitt once and induced some "scarring". I would have assumed the mitt would've been safe. Probably didn't use enough lube maybe.

You've had no damage from clay on the film? Or you don't clay the film at all?

Also, my hood has some imperfections in the film now. Have you ever used anything a tad more aggressive on the film other than wax? I've used my DA plus so,e polishes but that's it. I wanna try some gentle cut polish but don't want to destroy the film.

Curious to your experience. Thanks man.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:09 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Originally Posted by JeepSRT+C7
NmtMev:

I have Xpel and Suntek covering the front of mine as well. I used a claymitt once and induced some "scarring". I would have assumed the mitt would've been safe. Probably didn't use enough lube maybe.

You've had no damage from clay on the film? Or you don't clay the film at all?

Also, my hood has some imperfections in the film now. Have you ever used anything a tad more aggressive on the film other than wax? I've used my DA plus so,e polishes but that's it. I wanna try some gentle cut polish but don't want to destroy the film.

Curious to your experience. Thanks man.
I clay barred the film for sure. Nice and gentle using quick detailer spray. The car was cold to the touch. Never do it when the car is warm. Always work from film to paint. Never clay from paint to film. That's where I messed up a little.. depending on your color of your car (mine is black, so darker colors..) you would be safe applying a coat of carnauba wax. I wouldn't use that wax on a white /light gray cars film.

The spray from xpel works okay. It doesnt do much... I didn't like it so I put my big boy pants on and and just said f it im waxing it and wow what a difference.

I Wouldn't use cutting polish ever on a film. It's too abrasive. If you have the self healing film you can try wash the area. Wax it with a good synthetic wax, remove the wax. and leave it in the super hot sun. It may help get those scuffs out. A shortcut to that would be wax and remove and hit it with a blow dryer. The wax should at least kinda fill the scuffs in the film, if it's self healing film. A little heat with help.

once you scratch the non healing film its pretty much game over.. try this... hit it with an orbital a nice light coat of wax. The friction from the orbital might help fill the scratches a little.

either way report back, go me curious now!
Old 07-30-2017, 08:15 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Heres a shot of a little clay bar gone wrong.... both sides are waxed and imho the waxed film is much nice looking. I really had to get the light perfect for you to see this. 3 ft away and you could never tell. I never see it anymore but i know its there
Old 08-09-2017, 11:32 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts

I'm hoping to have some time with the car Sunday morning. I'll let ya know. Gonna put a coat of Black Light on with a DA. If the weather holds long enough.

Get notified of new replies

To Just a Tip when detailing Xpel'd Vette

Quick Reply: Just a Tip when detailing Xpel'd Vette