Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Paint correction next week. Some questions.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:10 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Paint correction next week. Some questions.

Got a 1999 coupe (black) that I bought chadwicks paint correction kit for. Going to be tackling it next week while I'm off - I'm a mechanic but I've never been much of a detail guy, since its a vette and I've always wanted one, I'm going to make it look as nice as possible.

My questions to guys who have used the chadwicks kit - what did you do around the emblems? How about in the tail light recesses? I know I'll never get into the in between sections of the emblems, but is it ok to go over them or to get that close to the tail light lens?

I searched a bit and saw that some guys like to remove and replace the emblems for an annual detail - and that may happen in the future, just not this year.

Any other helpful tips before I do this would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2017, 09:26 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,238 Likes on 909 Posts

Not familiar with chadwick's but correction is pretty much the same no matter what brand of products you use. I presume that you are using a DA for the correction phase of the detail.For emblems you can tape them off or not, just be careful not to "hook" them and tear the foam pad or damage the emblem. Many detailers just go over them with no regard. The main issue besides possible damage is getting the polish residue out of the space where the emblem meets the body surface, that white residue is sometimes difficult to get completely out of the crevasse.That being said, just be careful around the emblems or non-painted trim such as rubber or plastic areas that the polish may turn white harm. Be careful and you should be fine.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:57 PM
JimmyS5600
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

acuveo Iam a Chadwick's user. I wipe the emblems and lights,no
problem at all. Follow his directions and you should be pleased
with your efforts.
Jimmy
Old 08-25-2017, 08:41 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Not familiar with chadwick's but correction is pretty much the same no matter what brand of products you use. I presume that you are using a DA for the correction phase of the detail.For emblems you can tape them off or not, just be careful not to "hook" them and tear the foam pad or damage the emblem. Many detailers just go over them with no regard. The main issue besides possible damage is getting the polish residue out of the space where the emblem meets the body surface, that white residue is sometimes difficult to get completely out of the crevasse.That being said, just be careful around the emblems or non-painted trim such as rubber or plastic areas that the polish may turn white harm. Be careful and you should be fine.
Make sure you have some quality Microfiber towels for whiping off polish. Rag company has great deals

Get notified of new replies

To Paint correction next week. Some questions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint correction next week. Some questions.