Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Dust Magnet

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 11:07 AM
GR Jay
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Dust Magnet

I can't be the only with this problem but my 2017 GS is literally a dust magnet. Sitting in the garage in just a few hours after washing and drying the car will be covered in dust while my other car sitting right next to it will have next to nothing on it. The car is wrapped in Xpel so I don't know if it that or the FRP panels but is there a wax or polish out there that help eliminate the static build up?
Old 08-23-2017, 05:21 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Never used it myself but FK425 is supposed to have some ant-static properties. http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-425-detailer.html

Kenotek Showroom Shine is nice too with claimed anti-static properties http://www.autopia-carcare.com/kenot...l#.WZ3xVXMpDqA

Used Kenotek for a month or so last summer...its a nice product that seemed to keep dust at bay a bit; ya know how that goes though...subjective at best.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 08-23-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:49 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Ive found that certain waxes will attract more dust, where as a coat of glaze had almost none. Im also a fan of using the air compressor with an air gun to quickly knock down a coat of dust without having to touch the paint.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:52 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

I don't consider my 2017 GS to me to be a dust magnet. My car doesn't have Xpel. I use Blackfire products. Mine is stored in garage also. I will have to check and see if the labels mention any of the anti-static properties. I have Blade Silver so that might help in not seeing the dust .

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 08-23-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:11 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When you do those few final dry wipes to make it look perfect you tend to build up a little static charge that attacks the dust. Then inevitably you dust it off again and build the charge up again.....

Use a good QD spray. I use Gloss It QD and don't seem to have the dust issue. The Zaino QD is good for that also.

Josh
Old 08-24-2017, 07:51 PM
GR Jay
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
Never used it myself but FK425 is supposed to have some ant-static properties. http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-425-detailer.html

Kenotek Showroom Shine is nice too with claimed anti-static properties http://www.autopia-carcare.com/kenot...l#.WZ3xVXMpDqA

Used Kenotek for a month or so last summer...its a nice product that seemed to keep dust at bay a bit; ya know how that goes though...subjective at best.
I ordered some of the Kenotek so I'll see if it helps. I have been using Maguires detail spray as the final step after washing. I also use Blackfire Diamond over the top of the Xpel. Water beads like crazy as does the detail spray. By the way my car is Admiral Blue so it's pretty dark so it shows the dust a lot.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:26 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by GR Jay
I ordered some of the Kenotek so I'll see if it helps. I have been using Maguires detail spray as the final step after washing. I also use Blackfire Diamond over the top of the Xpel. Water beads like crazy as does the detail spray. By the way my car is Admiral Blue so it's pretty dark so it shows the dust a lot.
Please let us know how it works for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Dust Magnet

Quick Reply: Dust Magnet