Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ceramic Pro 9-H Coating

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:20 AM
70CamaroZ28
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the full front xpeld on my black Z06/Z07 the rest was ceramic coated. The ceramic definitely helps washing and keeping a good shine. But even with ceramic you will get swirls no matter how **** you’re washing it. After my first wash I had minor swirls and I know how to properly wash. That being said I brought the car back to get the whole car xpeld. The z07 tires pickup so much debris even with mudflaps rocks were getting launched from the front tires at the rear quarters. The xpel is self healing so swirls are no longer a worry. If you can afford xpel go with that. Creamic on my white M4 was amazing. But on a black car i feel xpel is far superior. But I’m also more **** then most. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:13 AM
geterdone
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

What is the average price to have this done?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rawTA
A coating is a must.... I Have a product called arctic coating on all my cars. Very happy with it. Makes washing easier and the water just sheets right off
I've got Arctic Coating like above, I also did full body Xpel

Crazy expensive combination, but my car always looks great. I assume it's the coating, the reflection is absolutely absurd on my white Z

I wash it every week as it's my daily driver, I rotate between waterless wash (quick 20 minute clean) and full wash
Old 10-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by geterdone
What is the average price to have this done?
I paid $1000 to have mine coated along with the wheels and Xpel on the front bumper. It was so low cause a good friend of mine owns the shop and hooked me up but I know usually just for the coating itself depending on brand and type will be at least $1000 by itself.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:07 PM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbacik
I coated my Z myself using CQ ceramic quartz off of Amazon. Around $150 for all the product and 10 hours to do the entire process on the car including the rims. All of the comments above are correct, great investment especially on a black car.
I did the same, Just did mine 48 hours ago with CQuartz for the same money - turned out awesome You can save a lot of money if your willing to put in the work. Its not that hard, just time consuming to do it right.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:29 PM
ledbetterjw
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ceramic Pro - I love it

The following users liked this post:
The Yav (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 08:06 AM
iTom
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Can anyone share the price they paid for a Ceramic Pro installation? I got a quote here in Orlando for $2000 which includes interior and exterior including wheels application. There is a lifetime warranty. I want to make sure I do the right thing for my 2019 Long Beach Red Grand Sport which will be arriving soon. As a first time Corvette owner, I have been spending a great deal of time on this forum to learn from all of the experts that take the time to share their experiences with us newbies!!
Old 01-14-2018, 10:02 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

iTom, just make sure this includes paint prep correction such as clay barring, buffing/polishing out any orange peel (maybe not if yours was from new paint shop). Others from the much earlier posts may not consider that putting a ceramic coat over crappy paint will not improve the swirl marks, orange peel, etc. Not enough time to fully explain but take a high lumens flashlite & shine it at 90* angle to paint & see how it is diffused & not a mirror image of the lite. Buffing/polishing knocks off the high spots making the paint smooth & reflects trees, clouds, your face very close to a mirror reflection. The full paint prep has to be included in ceramic application for true clarity. I don't know but wonder if the factory paint should be allowed to "Fully Cure" before applying any coating including Expel & similar products. Remember when we were told "don't wax for 60/90 days" after body repair/repaint? I did the full prep for paint, wash/remove old wax/wash/claybar/wash/buff/polish out paint, etc. & only waxed after but was amazed at the improvement in paint/clearcoat clarity w/o image distortion after. This was on CRY.

Last edited by madrob2020; 01-14-2018 at 10:02 AM.
iTom (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 11:40 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SLEEKVET

I did the same, Just did mine 48 hours ago with CQuartz for the same money - turned out awesome You can save a lot of money if your willing to put in the work. Its not that hard, just time consuming to do it right.

There are differences in the consumer coating that you can purchase yourself and the professional coatings. Consumer coating last up to 2 years and do not have the 9h hardness to them. I am not sure about the one you used as I have yet to use it. Before I became an IGL installer I used Optimum Gloss Coat and it worked great, it was just a weaker coating and did not last as long. You are right though, you can Coat your car on the cheap.

Originally Posted by iTom
Can anyone share the price they paid for a Ceramic Pro installation? I got a quote here in Orlando for $2000 which includes interior and exterior including wheels application. There is a lifetime warranty. I want to make sure I do the right thing for my 2019 Long Beach Red Grand Sport which will be arriving soon. As a first time Corvette owner, I have been spending a great deal of time on this forum to learn from all of the experts that take the time to share their experiences with us newbies!!
Not too sure about CP, I think guys are charging that for interior and exterior. That sounds right, all in I would be charging roughly the same or a tad less for IGL.

Originally Posted by madrob2020
iTom, just make sure this includes paint prep correction such as clay barring, buffing/polishing out any orange peel (maybe not if yours was from new paint shop). Others from the much earlier posts may not consider that putting a ceramic coat over crappy paint will not improve the swirl marks, orange peel, etc. Not enough time to fully explain but take a high lumens flashlite & shine it at 90* angle to paint & see how it is diffused & not a mirror image of the lite. Buffing/polishing knocks off the high spots making the paint smooth & reflects trees, clouds, your face very close to a mirror reflection. The full paint prep has to be included in ceramic application for true clarity. I don't know but wonder if the factory paint should be allowed to "Fully Cure" before applying any coating including Expel & similar products. Remember when we were told "don't wax for 60/90 days" after body repair/repaint? I did the full prep for paint, wash/remove old wax/wash/claybar/wash/buff/polish out paint, etc. & only waxed after but was amazed at the improvement in paint/clearcoat clarity w/o image distortion after. This was on CRY.
Right on the money, that is a good question about allowing the paint to fully cure. I know for PPF you have to, I think with a coating you should be ok as the coating is an extension of your clear coat and it should have the breathability to allow the paint to cure. That is my guess, as I have yet to coat a brand new within 60 day car lol.

Last edited by Innovate; 01-14-2018 at 11:40 AM.
iTom (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 11:53 AM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Got mine done with the Ceramic Pro 9H platinum (exterior, interior, all glass and windscreen, wheels and calipers, etc) right after it got off the truck from Macmulkin with 4 miles on it on my 2018 2lz z06 auto. I used to see the ads and they reminded me of late night informercials that overpromise everything. After they were done im a big believer. Really important if you have black wheels and want to make it easy for yourself to remove brake dust. Worth every penny of the $1500 I spent to get it done.
Attached Images      
Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 PM
iTom
Instructor

Originally Posted by madrob2020
The installer told me that they would clay bar and buff which really surprised me because it was a brand new car. He said that the marks as you state appear even in new factory paint jobs. You bring up a great point about the new paint curing time. Hopefully someone with background can weigh in on this. I appreciate your feedback.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:48 PM
iTom
Instructor

Originally Posted by Innovate
There are differences in the consumer coating that you can purchase yourself and the professional coatings. Consumer coating last up to 2 years and do not have the 9h hardness to them. I am not sure about the one you used as I have yet to use it. Before I became an IGL installer I used Optimum Gloss Coat and it worked great, it was just a weaker coating and did not last as long. You are right though, you can Coat your car on the cheap.

Not too sure about CP, I think guys are charging that for interior and exterior. That sounds right, all in I would be charging roughly the same or a tad less for IGL.

Right on the money, that is a good question about allowing the paint to fully cure. I know for PPF you have to, I think with a coating you should be ok as the coating is an extension of your clear coat and it should have the breathability to allow the paint to cure. That is my guess, as I have yet to coat a brand new within 60 day car lol.
Your Z 06 looks AWESOME!!!
Old 01-14-2018, 07:28 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I have xPel on the front half of the corvette and below the crease on the doors and on the rear brake duct area. The remainder of the car I have coated myself with CQuartz.

After watching my installer do 2 Corvettes for me and my wife's Mini Convertible I would never ever try and install a wrap myself. Have you seen self applied tint on a cheap cars rear window? That is likely how mine would end up if I did it.

However Ceramic Coating is easier to apply than a wax or sealant is. You have the application step but no buffing off other than a light wipe. Now you absolutely do not want to coat a car that is not as good as you can get it. So if you are looking at a 10 hour day, 9 of those hours are used to prep the car properly. Wash it. clay bar it. Polish and paint correct it. And do it well. Then the actual application of the coating including waiting for it to flash (I move to a new section, do it and then return to the old section after it flashes to wipe it down) takes less than an hour. The only key is applying it as smoothly as possible and then after it flashes lightly wipe it down to remove high spots that will dry darker if not knocked down. If you can wax a car, you certainly can apply ceramic coating. Now if you don't want to spend the time necessary then pay to have it done. I have 3 relatively new cars, so was able to do the prep and application on each in about 4 hours. Do note that 2 of those cars had xPel on the front half so I was only coating the non wrapped portions of the car. On my 17 ATS I did that entire car over two 3 hour sessions. Total cost of the ceramic coating was $90 for the CQuartz and $60 for the MD Wheel Coat which I used on the outside of the Caddy and Mini wheels and the barrels and spokes of my Morr VS52 monoblocks and on my Forgeline AR-1 monoblocks.

I suppose I could have coated the xPel wrapped surfaces but I normally do not wear belts and suspenders at the same time so have not done that. Admittedly the coating is a sealant and the xPel is a protective layer, but I am happy with each doing its own thing.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:57 PM
ledbetterjw
7th Gear

I had full paint correction, 4 coats of 9H, and 1 coating of the light on all painted surfaces and lights, windows, and wheels/calipers for $1700 here in TX.
iTom (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 10:30 PM
iTom
Instructor

My guy did say he was using the 9H, but I need to go back and ask how many coats he is going to put on. I'm not afraid to put in the work as PKINCY suggests, I'm just not confident I have the expertise to clay bar and buff out a brand new car. So maybe paying the $2K is the best way to go.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:08 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Your Z 06 looks AWESOME!!!
I unfortunately do not own one currently, maybe later this year.

Originally Posted by ledbetterjw
I had full paint correction, 4 coats of 9H, and 1 coating of the light on all painted surfaces and lights, windows, and wheels/calipers for $1700 here in TX.
Ceramic Pro? The put a ton of coats on to reach the 9H hardness I think, $1700 is not too bad.

My guy did say he was using the 9H, but I need to go back and ask how many coats he is going to put on. I'm not afraid to put in the work as PKINCY suggests, I'm just not confident I have the expertise to clay bar and buff out a brand new car. So maybe paying the $2K is the best way to go.
Ceramic Pro is not the be all-end all. Shop around for other coatings, IGL Coatings are newish and great in the market, then Opti-Coat Pro. Those for interior/exterior should not cost $2k, it really is up to the detailer though. One can offer the same package $500 cheaper than the other on what all you want. Shoot, I wish you were close to SC.

My quote on IGL Quartz+
Car: $600 (Wash, decontaminate chemically and mechanically, 1-Step Polish, paint prep for coating)
Wheels, inner barrels and faces: $300 (Calipers as well)
Windows: $150
Headlights: $100
Total: $1150
Old 01-15-2018, 02:51 AM
MrBlackZ06
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got mine ceramic coated with a German product called Nanolex Kenotek. the car looks more shiny and seems to get less scratches. Ceramic coating is a great idea for dark colored cars especially black.
Attached Images   

Last edited by MrBlackZ06; 01-15-2018 at 03:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic Pro 9-H Coating

Old 01-15-2018, 08:36 AM
iTom
Instructor

Your black car looks awesome!! I love black. For the last 20 years, everyone of my cars have been black. My LBR 2019 GS will be my first car with another color in a long, long time.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:44 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Ceramic Pro 9H on all of the exterior, including a paint correction, costs depends on your location and what level package you get. ($900-1500)
Two summers later---no waxing needed, no swirl marks, scratching etc. WELL worth the $ IMO. Rarely have to wash, keeps brake dust off and repels water. The Black trim on my car really pops. I also have expel on the front and ground effects under the ceramic pro because Michigan roads were starting to add a few chips.
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2018, 10:31 AM
ledbetterjw
7th Gear

[QUOTE=Innovate;1596379682]I unfortunately do not own one currently, maybe later this year.

Ceramic Pro? The put a ton of coats on to reach the 9H hardness I think, $1700 is not too bad.

Yes, CeramicPro.
90Fun (01-15-2018)

Quick Reply: Ceramic Pro 9-H Coating