Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Sealant on clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:29 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Sealant on clear bra

Any benefits to the paint applying a sealant over a clear bra, or is it just wasting product? Thanks.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:45 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

my guy said not to apply any wax or sealant to it, Ive been using Adams Clear Bra Polish, but they dont make it anymore. Id head over to autogeek and use a dedicated product for clear bra's
Old 10-17-2017, 11:13 AM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteship
Any benefits to the paint applying a sealant over a clear bra, or is it just wasting product? Thanks.
Absolutely! A ceramic coating beats all. Definitely don't use a traditional wax. Sealants are ok. CarPro Reload is great on it. Keep in mind, clear bra has no UV blockers in it, so yes you should absolutely apply protection to it.

Originally Posted by Maligator
my guy said not to apply any wax or sealant to it, Ive been using Adams Clear Bra Polish, but they dont make it anymore. Id head over to autogeek and use a dedicated product for clear bra's
That's a very odd thing for an installer to say. I get the no wax part, but sealants are ok.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:08 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Ppf

Certainly. Applying a sealant, wax, or ceramic coating can be beneficial and make the film even easier to clean. Just be sure to avoid any and all products that contain any petroleum distillates such as naphtha or kerosene as these may discolor the film over time.
The following users liked this post:
JrRifleCoach (11-02-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:47 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Thanks to all for your responses, and and I must say my installer just completed Xpel clear bra install on my recently purchased car (daily driver) and wow, I like it so much that I am planning on replacing the existing 3M/Venture shield bra from my other car with Xpel. I am concerned with the removal of the 3M/Venture Shield bra over the factory non painted stripes, not sure the stripes will pull off with the bra removal, bra age is about 10 years old. Any recommendations (other than patience and the use of a steamer or a heat gun?). Thanks!

Last edited by vetteship; 10-24-2017 at 01:52 AM.
XPEL (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:47 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Default Xpel

Thanks to all for your responses, and and I must say my installer just completed Xpel clear bra install on my recently purchased car (daily driver) and wow, I like it so much that I am planning on replacing the existing 3M/Venture shield bra from my other car with Xpel. I am concerned with the removal of the 3M/Venture Shield bra over the factory non painted stripes, not sure the stripes will pull off with the bra removal, bra age is about 10 years old. Any recommendations (other than patience and the use of a steamer or a heat gun?). Thanks!
That's great to hear, we're very happy you're satisfied with the install.

On removing the old film, you're on the right track. Let the car sit in the sun to get hot, then use a steamer to use as little stress on the adhesive as possible. This will help it come up without leaving much residue behind. Also, be sure to pull off at the correct angle. A graphic has been attached to illustrate this process.

Hope this info helps, let us know if we can answer any other questions. Thanks again for your support!
Old 10-26-2017, 11:31 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Thanks very much for the illustration.
XPEL (10-26-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 09:53 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've used Zaino products over top of the PPF on my vehicles for several years now, basically treat it the same as on the rest of the paint on them!
The following 2 users liked this post by DWS44:
GregNYC (11-05-2017), JDMilw (12-10-2017)
Old 11-19-2018, 11:44 AM
javenius
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Any idea how cold it can be to safely apply Crystal Seal?
Old 11-19-2018, 01:18 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Default Xpel

Originally Posted by javenius
Any idea how cold it can be to safely apply Crystal Seal?
Whether you're talking about installing onto XPEL or just onto paint, best bet is to check the crystal seal instructions to see what they recommend.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Paulzy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm new to this. I have a GS on order.

I plan to have a clear bra installed.

Should I ceramic coat the paint first? Add any additional protection that will be under the clear bra?

Outside of being clean does a brand new car need additional polish before the ceramic coat?

Is it safe to polish a factory fresh car or is there a suggested time before polish and Clear bra so the paint hardens completely?
Old 12-04-2018, 12:49 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Default Step By Step

Originally Posted by Paulzy
I'm new to this. I have a GS on order.

I plan to have a clear bra installed.

Should I ceramic coat the paint first? Add any additional protection that will be under the clear bra?

Outside of being clean does a brand new car need additional polish before the ceramic coat?

Is it safe to polish a factory fresh car or is there a suggested time before polish and Clear bra so the paint hardens completely?
Paulzy,

Congrats on the GS! We hope you post pictures here once it arrives. We've answered your questions below.

No, absolutely not. If you are going to do paint protection film and a ceramic coating, be sure to do the actual clear bra film FIRST, then have the ceramic coating applied. You do not need any additional protection UNDER the clear bra.

If you were just going to do ceramic coating then yes, you would need to get paint correction. If you're doing paint protection film clear bra (which we would highly recommend doing) then you don't need major paint correction as the films adhesive is going to fill in and essentially mask any light scratches or swirl marks. If there are pretty significant scratches then you would want to get those buffed out before paint protection film or ceramic coating installation.

On the majority of cars, once they're delivered to a dealership, you are good to go. We have applied paint protection film hours after cars have been unloaded off of the trailer.
Paulzy (12-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Sealant on clear bra

Quick Reply: Sealant on clear bra