Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Product Review: Gyeon CanCoat

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:08 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default Product Review: Gyeon CanCoat

What to say regarding can coat except “Where ya been all my life?” What an incredibly easy and effective product to use. The look and feel of the surface after application is very, very nice and the application takes about a whole 10 minutes, no runs, no streaks, no errors.

Water behavior, appearance and self-cleaning are on par with a ‘full fledged’ coating product and in the right situation, a product like this might even be a preferred solution for a vehicle/owner who is somewhat less OCD-ish or unwilling to invest the time and cost in a full correction/coating job for their vehicle. Maintained via wash with Gyeon Bathe+ on a somewhat regular basis, or post-wash with Gyeon WetCoat and I’ll bet the longevity exceeds the claimed 6 months. Add Gyeon Cure on occasion and it’ll likely stretch longer according to some accounts I’ve read.

I applied panel by panel by spritzing a Gyeon PolishWipe towel with 2-4 shots of CanCoat, going over panel in a somewhat regular motion of up/down then side-to-side to insure complete coverage then buffing the entire area with an Esoteric Ultra Premium Microfiber towel. For me, it was easier than using a quick detailer as it wiped clean quite easily, leaving no streaks but rather a clean, shiny, slick surface with that desirable ‘coating look’ to it. Waited 24 hours and then tossed a 32oz cup of water at the hood which beaded nicely before gravity took over and they rolled off the panel. Leftover beads that gravity had ignored wiped cleanly off, leaving a great finish. Looking forward to some rain so I can pull it outside and watch it work.

I had CanCoat sitting unused on my shelf for the last 6 months, never really sure when/what to use it for. In this case I had a bright red Ford Ranger than I had prepped and applied Gyeon Mohs to back in February of 2017. Being a fleet vehicle it had been sitting outside 24/7 since then, had never been washed or received any attention outside of an occasional shower by Mother Nature. Although the truck was still staying cleaner than many other vehicles in our fleet that I had coated (with a variety of things) it’s had lost that ‘coating feel’ to it that Mohs & Cure brings to a surface. I probably could have brought it back with merely Cure but I wanted to finally give CanCoat a try.

With the mentality of ‘nothing ventured, nothing gained’ I foamed the truck with Gyeon Foam at 1:5 dilution using the MTM PF22 Cannon/SG35 spray gun setup, rinsed it, gave it and application of Sonax Fallout Cleaner, rinsed, clayed with Nanoskin Fine mitt during one last wash with Gyeon Bathe, dried, wiped down with Gyeon Prep and then snatched up the CanCoat. Having never used it before the initial panels I did with sort of a ‘coating mentality’ during application, slow and deliberate. By the end of the truck I realized the flexibility of application with the CanCoat allowed for a less concentrated approach to application, hence one of its benefits methinks. A few spritzes on application towel, back and forth, up and down, buff with second towel to insure full removal of any excess; I really don’t think it could get any easier.

Pondering what situations CanCoat would be ideal for (in addition to topping a Mohs or Prime application which I have heard adds some nice gloss and durability), I go back to when I was a bit less OCD-ish and less knowledgeable about our cars appearance and protection. Back in 2004 when we bought our new, black Corvette a certain ‘Z sealant’ was all the rage among Corvette owners. It provided a nice look with somewhat decent longevity but in the end, offered little protection from water spotting and other environmental contamination; despite numerous applications over the years, usually in Spring after claying and then once or twice the rest of the season, we were left with etched water spots in the paint. Additionally, the self-cleaning properties of the sealant were pretty much nonexistent. Had I used CanCoat instead (if it would have been available), perhaps 2 or 3 times a year, I’m pretty confident the protection and self-cleaning properties of it would have eliminated the etching of the paint. And I likely would have not needed to wash it as frequently, which would have reduced the buildup of wash-induced marring as well as being far easier and quicker to apply.

I could also see this as being an economical and effective product to use for those who do not wish to spend the time and money prepping and applying more ‘complete’ coating solution. Prep and perhaps a light polish once a year, a CanCoat application or two over that year and you’re getting the protection, self-cleaning and appearance properties of a coating without the more significant investment of time and money a more ‘semi-permanent’ coating would involve, especially for the casual DIY’er.

In fact, given the low cost of CanCoat, I can see it being a viable replacement for a sealant if you like or want the look, feel, protection and self-cleaning properties of a coating. It’s actually much easier to apply than most sealants (for me anyway) as well.

I’m really quite enamored with the ease of use and effectiveness of this product; it’s just so very handy to have around that I’ll likely keep a bottle on the shelf for quick use in the situations that warrant it. Will be interesting to see how it does going forward and it’s an easy way to ‘wow’ people with minimal effort and cost.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 10-19-2017 at 09:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
Patman (10-19-2017), pickleseimer (10-20-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Thanks for your review! This stuff has been on my radar for a few days now after I heard someone on another detailing message board talking about it. I still haven’t moved over to ceramic coatings myself as I want to start out with something user friendly and this stuff sounds like it fits the bill for me! I most recently tried Meguiar’s Ultimate Fast Finish, which isn’t a ceramic coating, but it applies similar to one in that you spray it onto a microfiber sponge, wipe it on the finish and then immediately wipe off any excess. After using this, I can’t see myself going back to an old school wipe on, wait to dry and buff off type of protection anymore!

I want a coating that has self cleaning ability, protects the finish from water spot etching, bird bomb etching, etc, but it doesn’t need to give me 2-3 years of protection. I still enjoy spending time working on my paint, so I wouldn’t mind doing a minor polish/paint correction every 6 months and then reapplying another layer of coating. Or if the paint doesn’t need correction at all, I could just apply a fresh layer of CanCoat every 6 months.

What would you recommend in terms of a detailing spray to go on top of this for everyday dust removal and an extra boost of shine? I most recently bought some Chemical Guys Extreme Slick Synthetic detailer and like it, and still have some Zaino Z6 (which I find works best when mixed 50/50 with water) and Meguiar’s Ultimate Quik Detailer.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:05 PM
Patman
Race Director

Oops, I just realized after visiting that other forum again that it was indeed YOU that put this product on the radar for me when you recommended it!
The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 08:48 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Patman
Thanks for your review! This stuff has been on my radar for a few days now after I heard someone on another detailing message board talking about it. I still havenÂ’t moved over to ceramic coatings myself as I want to start out with something user friendly and this stuff sounds like it fits the bill for me! I most recently tried MeguiarÂ’s Ultimate Fast Finish, which isnÂ’t a ceramic coating, but it applies similar to one in that you spray it onto a microfiber sponge, wipe it on the finish and then immediately wipe off any excess. After using this, I canÂ’t see myself going back to an old school wipe on, wait to dry and buff off type of protection anymore!

I want a coating that has self cleaning ability, protects the finish from water spot etching, bird bomb etching, etc, but it doesnÂ’t need to give me 2-3 years of protection. I still enjoy spending time working on my paint, so I wouldnÂ’t mind doing a minor polish/paint correction every 6 months and then reapplying another layer of coating. Or if the paint doesnÂ’t need correction at all, I could just apply a fresh layer of CanCoat every 6 months.

What would you recommend in terms of a detailing spray to go on top of this for everyday dust removal and an extra boost of shine? I most recently bought some Chemical Guys Extreme Slick Synthetic detailer and like it, and still have some Zaino Z6 (which I find works best when mixed 50/50 with water) and MeguiarÂ’s Ultimate Quik Detailer.
Here's a nice vid about CanCoat:

As for maint. going forward, you don't wanna top a coating with anything that has any waxes, polymers or gloss enhancers in it; it masks the self cleaning and hydrophobic benefits of the coating.

Gyeon Cure is a nice 'booster' for coated paint, has some SiO2 in it which is essentially the primary effective element of a quartz/ceramic/glass coating. I believe Gyeon refers to it as a 'coating maintenance product'. Apply just like CanCoat after wash/dry or use it as a drying aid when drying after wash, couple spritzes in drying towel, makes drying much easier in addition to providing some added pop and protection. It can be streaky at times so most usually dilute 50/50 with distilled water.

Gyeon Bathe+ is an SiO2 wash that would be compatible as well. Gyeon Wetcoat is also a nice, easy, post-wash SiO2 booster.

For light dust cleanup, Poorboys World Spray & Wipe is nice as it leaves nothing behind to interfere with coating characteristics. Cheap too.

Oops, I just realized after visiting that other forum again that it was indeed YOU that put this product on the radar for me when you recommended it!
I'm EVERYWHERE!! I really don't know why this particular product brought me so much fun...but it did. So i shared it everywhere

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 10-19-2017 at 08:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
Patman (10-20-2017), ronkh57 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 08:36 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

OP, thanks for the write-up. I've been considering trying the Gyeon line, and CanCoat seems a good entry point. One question: being an SiO2 product, are the towels used to apply the product re-usable? Todd doesn't mention this consideration in his video.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:06 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
OP, thanks for the write-up. I've been considering trying the Gyeon line, and CanCoat seems a good entry point. One question: being an SiO2 product, are the towels used to apply the product re-usable? Todd doesn't mention this consideration in his video.
Everybody has different views on the towel reusability. Esoteric always reccomends tossing the towels but at the level they're operating at, it makes sense.

I immediately tossed my towels in the washing machine after application...and then moved em over to wheel/doorjamb duty just in case.

At the very least, I'd toss the towel you spritzed the CanCoat in when applying; the longer nap towel (final buff) might be OK to use on paint again if washed immediately but ya just never know.

Considering CanCoat will crystallize the nozzle if not cleaned and folks have found a leftover applicator hard the next day, better safe than sorry?
Old 10-21-2017, 05:12 AM
Patman
Race Director

Here's something I'm curious about, let's say I put this stuff on my Corvette and six months later I want to freshen it up with another layer. Do I really need to remove the first layer by polishing it off or can I just apply a fresh layer on top of the old one?
Old 10-21-2017, 05:18 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Here's something I'm curious about, let's say I put this stuff on my Corvette and six months later I want to freshen it up with another layer. Do I really need to remove the first layer by polishing it off or can I just apply a fresh layer on top of the old one?
Dunno for sure but I plan on just dropping another coat on...
The following users liked this post:
Patman (10-21-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 12:13 AM
Vertex
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, do you still prefer the overcoat on already coated finish or the can coat?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:04 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Vertex
Just curious, do you still prefer the overcoat on already coated finish or the can coat?
On already coated cars, I'll stick with Overcoat as it was designed primarily for that purpose...and it works very well in that capacity for me. If it ain't broke...
Old 12-19-2017, 09:19 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
Everybody has different views on the towel reusability. Esoteric always reccomends tossing the towels but at the level they're operating at, it makes sense.

I immediately tossed my towels in the washing machine after application...and then moved em over to wheel/doorjamb duty just in case.

At the very least, I'd toss the towel you spritzed the CanCoat in when applying; the longer nap towel (final buff) might be OK to use on paint again if washed immediately but ya just never know.

Considering CanCoat will crystallize the nozzle if not cleaned and folks have found a leftover applicator hard the next day, better safe than sorry?
Hoping the OP doesn't mind if I post my experience here with the CanCoat product - he's the one who convinced me to try it.

Without repeating all of the OP's write-up, I applied the product to two of my vehicles. Generally suffice it to say CanCoat applies similar to Meguiars Fast Finish sealer. The first vehicle to get the treatment was the '13 427. Car's paint is in great condition due to many other products used on this vehicle. Car was washed and then polished using the Gyeon Q2 Primer product, a single-step finish polish and prep product. Used a PC 7424xp and a finishing pad, polished as per the instructions and video, wiped off and then let it set for 24 hours. If it sets for 24 hours, Gyeon indicated no need to use Gyeon Prep or do an IPA wipedown, instead just apply the coating as the next step. So the next day the first CanCoat application was applied. Waited two hours (as per Todd at Esoteric) and applied a second coat.

In between the two coats I put on the '13, I turned to the Hummer H3. This paint is in reasonable shape for a car with 110k on the odo. Within the last year it had been abrasive polished, a coat of Pinnacle Black Label Paint coating was applied, and was maintained from time-to-time with Meguiars Fast Finish. Due to the car having just been freshly washed, I just applied the CanCoat over whatever might have been left on the paint without any other prep, wipedown etc, just wiped it on and buffed it off. More or less an experiment.

Came back to the shop today to look at the result. The '13 looked a bit clearer optically, very even paint surface, good-to-great gloss, no streaks etc. Will probably use it again considering the ease of application. I'd say about a 5-10% improvement.

Interestingly, the Hummer had much better results in terms of improvement in gloss, with only about 20% of the effort expended on the Vette lol

On the H3, will see how the durability is, considering no prep (probably not much bonding either) and the car does see winter driving. The '13 doesn't see much, if any, weather at all so I'm expecting some durability.

The CanCoat product is packaged with a towel that was used to apply the product, using one of my better towels to buff. I left the Gyeon towel (doesn't appear to be any kind of premium towel) on the bench overnight without any rinsing or attempt to preserve it. Today, that towel had dried and the area that had been wetted with the CanCoat was a tad stiffer than the rest of the towel, but not scratchy. It was tossed. The buffing towel was okay and put in the pre-soak bucket.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:22 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

In my shop after applying/wiping any coatings(Gyeon, Kamikaze, Ceramic Pro) they go into a bucket of Gyeon's Towel Wash and a small splash of vinegar, then after a good soaking get washed with Gyeon's towel wash.
We have been able to reuse the towels with no issue.
We just finished a very dark purple, almost black Jaguar XJ, with stunning results, and the towels had been used and washed on at least 10 cars before this one.
Was never a fan of the specialty MF washes but with the age of coatings, this product is simply excellent and really solves a problem with the number of cars we coat..

Get notified of new replies

To Product Review: Gyeon CanCoat

Quick Reply: Product Review: Gyeon CanCoat