Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Removing very old tree pine tree sap from sun roof.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 04:49 PM
sussie1961
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing very old tree pine tree sap from sun roof.

I had a very large blob of pine tree sap drop right onto my sunroof and it went unnoticed for quite awhile.

What I need to know is if it's still possible to remove that. The sunroof will no longer open because the sap dropped right onto the back edge, and seeped into the back edge. The motor still works, but the sunroof won't open because of the sap.

Is there any way to get my sunroof working again? I heard that boiling water will break down sap, but is it safe to pour a bunch of boiling water onto the edge of my sunroof.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:50 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Don't think it would need to be boiling hot. Very hot, yes. I woudn't be too worried about slowly pouring very hot water over the sunroof. I would probably run the heater to make sure that it's not ice cold before you pour hot water on it though (or hit it with a hair dryer).

Oh hey...welcome to the forum. Hope you find as much useful stuff on here as I have.

Mike

Last edited by mcoomer; 11-09-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:58 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Use Lacquer thinner, assuming you are in the 80's(C4) and above. I have used lacquer thinner in my shop for 9 years and literally thousands of cars from all manufacturers of cars, with absolutely no ill effect. You may have to put some on a towel and let it soak, but it will work. It does evaporate quickly, so you may need to do it multiple times.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing very old tree pine tree sap from sun roof.

Quick Reply: Removing very old tree pine tree sap from sun roof.