Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Clay towel on ceramic coating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 04:28 PM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Clay towel on ceramic coating?

Last winter I polished the paint on my 2009 Corvette and applied the Wolfgang Uber ceramic coating. I only drove the car about 1500 miles this year, and maybe washed it 3 times, so the paint was still in a very good shape and not needing any real attention.

Last night I washed the car as I was planning on putting it in winter storage and decided to also use my Nanoskin blue fine grade clay towel as I have done a few times already on this car without issues over the last few years (before applying the coating).

But now it looks like the clay towel has scratched up the ceramic coating? Very light scratches that can only be seen when playing with the light, almost like a light haze? Kept the clay towel lubricated, and applied almost no pressure. Is it normal for a clay towel to do this to the coating?

What are my chances of getting rid of these marks without completely removing the coating? Would it work to use the Wolfgang prep spray and then apply an additional layer of coating? When I used some detail spray it seemed to make the marks less visible.

One additional question for those that have experience with the Wolfgang Uber coating: is the flash/waiting time of 1 minute still good when applying in a 50/55F garage, or should I wait a little bit longer?

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2017, 11:43 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

You have discovered one of the issues with the mass produced Ceramics and the Nanoskin products. Was a huge fan, with Nanoskin, until we discovered this exact issue on these cars that came into my shop.

Not a fan of the "Mass produced Ceramics" While they claim a ceramic coating I have yet so see one have any serious longevity. Claims are one thing actual experience is another.
So you can clean this up, with Zaino's ZPC, or Sonax 04-06. Two very mild compounds we use on Ceramic coatings. You will inevitably remove some of the coating, but these are two very, very mild abrasives that will inflict minimal damage. We use a PC7424 at a speed of 4.2/4.5 with a Rupes yellow or White Pad. In my case we use a pad per 1/2 panels, as the product and dirt gets loaded up in the pad. Don't care how much you clay, you still pick up dirt in the pad which relates to holograms/swirls. Maybe a bit much for the hobbyist but when someone is paying me a $1000(Silicon Valley pricing)for a black car detail there is an expectation.
564501 4453656869878 1848599269 n

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 11-16-2017 at 11:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CandyRed77 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:57 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I always wanted to ask if this would happen, it seemed like when someone asked about scratches in the coating, those that did it got furious. I like being able to get the occasional marks out by just compounding the area, polishing and waxing. Sounds like solid advice above.
The following users liked this post:
Grzldvt1 (11-18-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Clay towel on ceramic coating?

Quick Reply: Clay towel on ceramic coating?