Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

layering products

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 11:33 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by z06clif
.....but Im reminded of a former Forum member "Wolfdog" He had a black C6 and the guy would put literally a 100 layers of Zaino on his car and after awhile it looked like a mirror. He always posted pictures and this memory is what prompted my response. It reaaly looked better after every post

Clif
This is great
But as one ages doing this kind of repetitive work is impossible.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:54 PM
Mark Ca
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

.....but Im reminded of a former Forum member "Wolfdog" He had a black C6 and the guy would put literally a 100 layers of Zaino on his car and after awhile it looked like a mirror. He always posted pictures and this memory is what prompted my response. It reaaly looked better after every post

Clif
I've loved Zaino for years and recently started using Z-CS clear seal. It lasts longer on my daily driver(that never sees a garage) than anything I have ever used. Deep gloss and slippery.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:00 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

If he really did put 100 coats of Zaino on his car that was a huge waste of time. There is no way that 100th coat was any shinier than the 3rd coat. You reach the point of diminishing returns very quickly. Even the creater of Rejex states that anything beyond a 2nd coat is a waste of time as you're not providing any extra protection or shine beyond that point, you're just using more product.
The following users liked this post:
joeybsyc (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 10:24 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
If he really did put 100 coats of Zaino on his car that was a huge waste of time. There is no way that 100th coat was any shinier than the 3rd coat. You reach the point of diminishing returns very quickly. Even the creater of Rejex states that anything beyond a 2nd coat is a waste of time as you're not providing any extra protection or shine beyond that point, you're just using more product.
I disagree

Clif
Old 12-22-2017, 10:30 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS WON
This is great
But as one ages doing this kind of repetitive work is impossible.
but to hear him explain it and viewing his posts the guy would put on a coat on a base c6 in 10 to 15 minutes. Now this was on a clean surface on a garaged car that was cleaned before garaging it. As I get older the staement youve made makes sense,but I have found step saving methods that makes things easier for us older guys

Clif
Old 12-22-2017, 11:09 AM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Agree.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:59 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

yes , i did a search and got ZERO . if one waxes or uses a simple sealer , adds something like mcguires '' fast finish [?]'' , and then puts on a quick detailer are the first two products just wasted or is there a benefit from them . . . peace .....i'm not talking about multiple coats of the same product but various products . multiple coats of a single product i limit to two as i feel more is a waste of product and energy .
Old 12-22-2017, 06:47 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 742 Likes on 470 Posts

Bingo. all due respect to the Zaino crowd,but many,many products far outperform Sal's products. That is in no way to say it's a bad product-it is not. The original question was about many different products. To this,there is a point of waste.
OP, a sealer/wax combo or simple coating ( think Gyeon Cancoat- with maybe a Kamikaze Overcoat to refreshen) will serve your purpose well. There is NO benefit from applying many different products on top of each other. Your key is in the prep stage,i.e. polishing paint. Remember while these coating /sealants /wax's add a small visible change-they are mostly for protection. The biggest change in reflection is flat-smooth paint
Old 12-24-2017, 05:59 AM
BigKitty
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wolfdogs

Clif
Where is Wolfdogs these days.I remember when I got my 2008 ZO6 he was here everyday?
Old 12-24-2017, 08:00 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

He sold his Corvette and like most people that do that, he decided not to hang around anymore
Old 12-27-2017, 11:26 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BigKitty
Where is Wolfdogs these days.I remember when I got my 2008 ZO6 he was here everyday?
He has sold his Vette and has moved on to other things . I remember his farewell post. He was always very helpful. I think he was having local trouble with his pets , but still no burglerys...lol

Clif
Old 12-27-2017, 01:29 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

but to hear him explain it and viewing his posts the guy would put on a coat on a base c6 in 10 to 15 minutes. Now this was on a clean surface on a garaged car that was cleaned before garaging it. As I get older the staement youve made makes sense,but I have found step saving methods that makes things easier for us older guys

Clif
10 to 15 minutes No way I don't th ink that's possible especially for the average person.

Quick Reply: layering products