Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

layering products

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 10:28 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

Default layering products

yes , i did a search and got ZERO . if one waxes or uses a simple sealer , adds something like mcguires '' fast finish [?]'' , and then puts on a quick detailer are the first two products just wasted or is there a benefit from them . . . peace
Old 12-01-2017, 05:35 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Sometimes benefit, sometimes no.

Only real way to tell, is to try or hit forums like here, autogeek, autopia and read about em.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:52 PM
rcharrison1
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I use Synthetic Sealant and wax which is overkill and car is garage kept. Sometime ago, I tried some Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish and fell in love with it. My Vette is Crystal Red Metallic and the Ultimate Fast Finish adds to the depth of shine - at least in my opinion. Takes less than 10 minutes to do the entire car. Since I started using it, there are 2 very good videos on You Tube you should watch.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:12 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

While there are exceptions... My experiences have proven that more times than not the last thing you put on your paint is the one thing protecting it....and 5 coats of something isn't really any better than 1. The other 4 coats just give you a better chance of not having any spots missed.

People like to tell you putting 10 coats on and "layering" products between, under, and over other products are doing something (including the companies who SELL the stuff) but that's not really the case, or my paint would be 2" underneath all the stuff I've used.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:20 PM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I was just about to ask the same question. Sounds like I will save some time by just using the meguiers ultimate fast finish!

Last edited by LV Vette; 12-01-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:04 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

I DO normally layer, but my "normal" would be 2 coats sealant (to assure coverage) then after proper cure time, then wax for that "special look"
Old 12-02-2017, 12:29 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

My personal opinion is nothing can be truly layered that doesn't dry hard and can be chipped off. Your applicators would dry hard and crusty, as if you left raw egg white on it.

Think of waxes and sealants as motor oil. If you tried to wax your car with motor oil and tried to come back tomorrow to apply another coat, what would happen?

Most waxes and sealants are petroleum based or natural oils....Putting more on too soon just removes the previous coat and adds the new coat.

Products with fillers and products used to hide damage may look like they are better when you put multiple coats on, but in reality you're just filling in more minor scratches (not a bad thing).

Again, just my opinion....I'm not a professional detailer or chemist.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:27 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
My personal opinion is nothing can be truly layered that doesn't dry hard and can be chipped off. Your applicators would dry hard and crusty, as if you left raw egg white on it.

Think of waxes and sealants as motor oil. If you tried to wax your car with motor oil and tried to come back tomorrow to apply another coat, what would happen?

Most waxes and sealants are petroleum based or natural oils....Putting more on too soon just removes the previous coat and adds the new coat.

Products with fillers and products used to hide damage may look like they are better when you put multiple coats on, but in reality you're just filling in more minor scratches (not a bad thing).

Carnuba in paste form can be layered without removing previous applications. They are not by nature petroleum based but will use a solvent to keep softor in the case of liquid wax in suspension. When carnuba " flash" that is the carrier agents being released. Sealant's act a little different as they form a chemical bond ( the polymers form a cross link chain) to the surface. These can also be layered to a degree. Without the addition of polychargers this process can take up to 24 hours to complete in which case you are in effect removing a portion of the first layer. As Ron stated a second layer is/can be used to insure complete coverage. Too many layers can have an adverse affect as they are not 100% optically clear and can start yo muddle the clarity.
Cleaner wax's have a much higher petroleum distillate content and use that to help "clean " the paint. These are definitely products that removes the previous layer with the addition of another layer
The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 07:44 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

so putting quick detailer over mcguires fast finish is pointless , just a waste of material and effort . thanks to all . . . peace
Old 12-03-2017, 03:24 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

The quick detailer isn't wasted though, because even if it's not providing another layer of protection, it is removing dust and adding a tiny little bit more shine. I use Ultimate Fast Finish on my Corvette and when removing dust I use Ultimate Quik Detailer and it does seem to help it shine a little bit more

Last edited by Patman; 12-03-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:41 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Zaino can be layered endlessly with improvement every time. I also found that Adams Brilliant Glaze can be layered with improving results every time. Ive used both at different times with noticably visible results.

Clif
Old 12-05-2017, 09:57 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Adam's Polishes Layering

TrackAire (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 12:10 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Excellent and honest explanation of wax, sealants and glazes and their lifespans in different conditions. Very informative.

Kudo's to Adams for a great video.
WIC7Diver (12-23-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 02:04 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire

Liquid Glass Polish (gold can with pink C2 vert on it-a long time product) covers up scratches and blemishes good. Been using this product since 1979. It's is one of those products that claim the more you put on the more protection you have and to let the paint finish bake in sun for a few hours. If no sun polish should set on paint for 6 hours.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:01 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Once one wax's over a sealant the wax needs to be removed, or worn away, before the sealant can be reapplied.

I think this is the issue with most sealants. I know it is with the Klasse acrylic sealant. So I just add some Klasse sealant to my detail spray to maintained and layer the protection. True I miss out on a softer look of the wax but after all I am after protection primarily.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:26 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by z06clif
Zaino can be layered endlessly with improvement every time. I also found that Adams Brilliant Glaze can be layered with improving results every time. Ive used both at different times with noticably visible results.

Clif
I've used Zaino for many years and find that each layer (up to 5) gets clearer and deeper. After 5 coats I can't see much if any difference.

Dark colors show the effects of layering more so than light colors.

Tom

Last edited by TCW; 12-17-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:25 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-gloss.html

Get notified of new replies

To layering products

Old 12-17-2017, 06:28 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...he-bottle.html
Old 12-17-2017, 06:30 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...phase-two.html
Old 12-18-2017, 02:22 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
I've used Zaino for many years and find that each layer (up to 5) gets clearer and deeper. After 5 coats I can't see much if any difference.

Dark colors show the effects of layering more so than light colors.

Tom
.....but Im reminded of a former Forum member "Wolfdog" He had a black C6 and the guy would put literally a 100 layers of Zaino on his car and after awhile it looked like a mirror. He always posted pictures and this memory is what prompted my response. It reaaly looked better after every post

Clif

Quick Reply: layering products