Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Does a California Car Duster cause swirls?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 02:55 AM
Alex Ramsey
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a California Car Duster cause swirls?

I live in an area thats very dusty, lots of gravel trucks everywhere and everytime i take my car out of the neiborhood it gets covered in dirt. In the past I have used car duster very often, almost daily, and recently i noticed some swirls starting on the rear bumper (its newly repainted) in the direction i usually dust.

My thoughts are that its exactly like writing in the dirt on someones car, dirt gets rubbed against the paint causing small scratches/swirls.

I havent used it in atleast a month and am getting tired of washing my car all the time. Am I right in thinking this or am I just crazy? Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

Last edited by Alex Ramsey; 12-09-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Ramsey
...everytime i take my car out of the neiborhood it gets covered in dirt...
Are you using it for light dust or actually dirt? If your car has dirt on it, you should not be using the California Car Duster.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Are you using it for light dust or actually dirt? If your car has dirt on it, you should not be using the California Car Duster.
Just use it for dust. I've used CDs for years and never had swirl marks.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 382 Posts

FWIW I have used Cal Dusters for decades...on black cars.

I say everytime you touch a black car, even with a finger tip, it may leave a clear coat scratch.
Never the less, I am completely satisfied (based on my daily driver and OCD mental level) with the use and results of using a duster.
Dust only, lightly drag in one direction as the instructions.

Bottomline: IMO - No, it does not cause swirls.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:05 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

Agreed. If you use it as intended you don't even drag it... you let the tip of the strands almost "hover" over the car and it will literally pull the dust off the surface. IMO when you use them right you are much less likely to scratch your car than you are by using detailers or waterless washes and wiping back and forth on the surface with a towel. Some people can't imagine a duster could work, mostly because they have never used them right.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:05 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

A lot of detailers call it the California Car Scratcher. They will recommend that you remove light dust with a soft microfiber towel and a proper detailing spray that has good lubricating properties.

From my experience, when I had a black C5 and used the California Car Duster (the original one with the wood handle too, not the cheap one with the plastic handle) I had a lot of minor swirls and scratches in the finish that I would have to buff out and they'd keep coming back. When I got my LeMans Blue C6 I decided to only use detailing spray to remove dust and after I buffed out the swirls and scratches that were on the car from the previous owner, they did not come back even after 4 years of ownership.

I wasn't using the Duster to remove heavy dust either, I only used it to remove light dust and I also was only using very very light pressure too. And even still it did it's damage.
The following users liked this post:
Gettysburg (12-28-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:17 PM
CLLOFF
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
FWIW I have used Cal Dusters for decades...on black cars.

I say everytime you touch a black car, even with a finger tip, it may leave a clear coat scratch.
Never the less, I am completely satisfied (based on my daily driver and OCD mental level) with the use and results of using a duster.
Dust only, lightly drag in one direction as the instructions.

Bottomline: IMO - No, it does not cause swirls.
The following users liked this post:
joeybsyc (12-11-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 07:20 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...if-duster.html
Old 12-18-2017, 02:56 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

If used improperly it will leave swirls. It should not be used to remove dirt. It shouldnt touch the surface. With what your discribing I wouldnt use it. But like anything on this Forum you will recieve opposing views

C
Old 12-18-2017, 04:27 PM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Alex Ramsey
I live in an area thats very dusty, lots of gravel trucks everywhere and everytime i take my car out of the neiborhood it gets covered in dirt. In the past I have used car duster very often, almost daily, and recently i noticed some swirls starting on the rear bumper (its newly repainted) in the direction i usually dust.

My thoughts are that its exactly like writing in the dirt on someones car, dirt gets rubbed against the paint causing small scratches/swirls.

I havent used it in atleast a month and am getting tired of washing my car all the time. Am I right in thinking this or am I just crazy? Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated.
maybe the swirls were there after the new paint was buffed out, now the dust is making the swirl stand out a lot more.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:32 PM
dataporter
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

If the car is properly waxed or has polymer protection and it is just dusty properly using the California Duster is the way to go. I don't see how it could cause swirls.

If your car needs waxing or protection, I would not use the duster, I would wash, polish and wax it.

If your car is more than dusty, wash it, don't use the duster mainly because you will ruin the duster for when you should be using it.

Get notified of new replies

To Does a California Car Duster cause swirls?

Quick Reply: Does a California Car Duster cause swirls?