Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Aren't all microfiber towels basically the same?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 01:05 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

That's like saying all cotton fabric is the same. Waffle weave micro fiber is excellent for drying (if you must use a towel) where other micro fiber towels are better for polishing, but don't pick up water very well. Seen side by side they look and feel much differently.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:26 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

One more for the Rag Company Korean products.
Bought some specifically for windows and they work like magic.
Doesn't matter what brand window cleaner I've tried over the years.
These towels are what make the difference.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:39 PM
socaljet
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
The best one's on the market as far as matching price to quality for waxing and polishing are the Costco yellow towels. They cost about $16 for a 36 pack. I also use these towels for cleaning windows inside and out and they work great. Best of all you dont mind tossing them in the trash when the time comes because of their low price. I use these towels for everything. But when it comes time to dry a car the purple Wal Mart towel that costs me $8 comes out. That thing will suck up water like a vacuum.
And they can be laundered time and again.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Mark Maple
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts

I researched this topic a while back and came away with a couple of things that I had been doing wrong.

First, the MF towels should not be dried using high heat. This ruins them. I had always done this.

Second, look at the blend of the towel. Towels that are greater than 80% polyester will scratch the cars surface. Most cheap towels (and all of mine) were higher than 80%.

I order some nice towels from the RagCompany based on recommendations and specs of their towels. I have not used them yet, however.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:51 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

You can dry them, but don't use fabric softener dryer sheets, which does ruin them.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:58 PM
Mark Maple
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
You can dry them, but don't use fabric softener dryer sheets, which does ruin them.
According to Autogeek:
Wash your microfiber in the washing machine with detergent only. Tumble them dry on low heat or no heat. High heat will literally melt the fibers while fabric softener and bleach will eliminate the electric charge that makes microfiber so effective. Avoid those three laundry habits, and your microfiber will last indefinitely.
The following users liked this post:
walleyejack (12-15-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 03:26 PM
segen77
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

This is what was recommended by a buddy of mine that details six figure cars daily.

https://www.theragcompany.com/eagle-...rofiber-towel/

You also need a mild detergent to wash. I use this
Amazon Amazon

As mentioned, I tumble dry no heat or very low heat.
The following 3 users liked this post by segen77:
DWS44 (12-13-2017), joemessman (12-14-2017), Mark Ca (12-20-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 03:35 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Dif
One more for the Rag Company Korean products.
Bought some specifically for windows and they work like magic.
Doesn't matter what brand window cleaner I've tried over the years.
These towels are what make the difference.
Which ones specifically are you using for glass? I have several MFs that I bought (from another source) that were supposed to be good for glass, but every time I've tried to use them, the leave tiny fibers all over the glass. From your comment, I'm assuming you don't have that problem with yours!

Last edited by DWS44; 12-13-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:48 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

I bought a large, expensive, car-usage oriented, name-brand towel... and, I hate the thing!

First, it is still shedding its loooong nap after several uses (part of what I thought these things didn't do), it is too large to use effectively when even a little wet--too heavy to manipulate well and thus avoid streaks, cannot be wrung-out like a cotton towel, and probably something else... yeah, takes forever to dry.

I've stuck it in the back of the cabinet, but, I've thought about cutting it into smaller pieces and just using on window, maybe.

NOT better functionality through "hi-tech," imho.*

Also, there is another thread here with more technical data, for example, how to wash, dry, etc.

Last edited by Avanti; 12-13-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:02 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Check this link:

https://www.autogeek.net/leabmi.html

All one would ever want to know about micro-fiber cloths.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

subscribed
Old 12-13-2017, 09:25 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS44
Which ones specifically are you using for glass? I have several MFs that I bought (from another source) that were supposed to be good for glass, but every time I've tried to use them, they leave tiny fibers all over the glass. From your comment, I'm assuming you don't have that problem with yours!
You're right, No lint/fiber or streaks on the glass.
After I tried them I bought more
Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by Dif:
DWS44 (12-13-2017), Mark Ca (12-20-2017), miami993c297 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 02:22 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS44
Which ones specifically are you using for glass? I have several MFs that I bought (from another source) that were supposed to be good for glass, but every time I've tried to use them, the leave tiny fibers all over the glass. From your comment, I'm assuming you don't have that problem with yours!
Here is the best for glass in my opinion. As shown above, but get the 24 inch size. easier to fold over and work with.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by joemessman; 12-14-2017 at 02:23 AM.
DWS44 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 02:26 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by segen77
This is what was recommended by a buddy of mine that details six figure cars daily.

https://www.theragcompany.com/eagle-...rofiber-towel/

You also need a mild detergent to wash. I use this
https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys.../dp/B001TJXWH4

As mentioned, I tumble dry no heat or very low heat.
Those towels are the best I have ever used. I have had 10 of those for 2 years now and they get washed about twice a week and are almost like new. Dried in low heat dryer.

Last edited by joemessman; 12-14-2017 at 02:26 AM.
miami993c297 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 03:11 AM
karmatourer
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Does anyone here have any experience with MF towels from The Chemical Guys? I ordered a pack along with some wax from them and awaiting delivery tomorrow.TIA
Old 12-14-2017, 04:27 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 386 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I disagree about the Costco towels not being good for paint, I've used them for years and they are soft enough that you can use them with a good detailing spray to remove dust and you won't marr your paint.
Measuring quality against cost, the COSTCO towels (yellow, 36 for $15) are the best. I've used them on my last three Vettes and after one detail, use them for the wheels. From there, they go into the trash bin.

Last edited by lavla; 12-14-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Patman (12-14-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 11:10 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

I've always used the Absorber. Last night I washed my C7 (1st time) and dried it using a brand new waffle microfiber (Chemical guys). The microfiber can hold a lot of water. The Absorber can't hold as much. However I find that for me the Absorber is far superior. I can easily wring out the excess water and once the Absorber is damp it sucks up the water much easier than the Microfiber. It seemed the Microfiber didn't want to give up the water that was in it.

In wipe action the Microfiber did a good job of absorbing water, but left a lot that required additional wipes. The Absorber acts more like a combination of a squeegee and the microfiber absorption thus leaves a much dryer surface.

The Absorbers I have are old and that may be part of it (better with age?).

BTW - I'm also a one bucket guy. I use 2-3 microfiber mitts. Do a section with one side, another section with the back, new mitt and repeat until done.

Get notified of new replies

To Aren't all microfiber towels basically the same?

Old 12-15-2017, 01:48 PM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
The best one's on the market as far as matching price to quality for waxing and polishing are the Costco yellow towels. They cost about $16 for a 36 pack. I also use these towels for cleaning windows inside and out and they work great. Best of all you dont mind tossing them in the trash when the time comes because of their low price. I use these towels for everything. But when it comes time to dry a car the purple Wal Mart towel that costs me $8 comes out. That thing will suck up water like a vacuum.
I love the Wal-Mart purple!
Old 12-15-2017, 02:59 PM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 638 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by DWillys
I've always used the Absorber. Last night I washed my C7 (1st time) and dried it using a brand new waffle microfiber (Chemical guys). The microfiber can hold a lot of water. The Absorber can't hold as much. However I find that for me the Absorber is far superior. I can easily wring out the excess water and once the Absorber is damp it sucks up the water much easier than the Microfiber. It seemed the Microfiber didn't want to give up the water that was in it.

In wipe action the Microfiber did a good job of absorbing water, but left a lot that required additional wipes. The Absorber acts more like a combination of a squeegee and the microfiber absorption thus leaves a much dryer surface.

The Absorbers I have are old and that may be part of it (better with age?).

BTW - I'm also a one bucket guy. I use 2-3 microfiber mitts. Do a section with one side, another section with the back, new mitt and repeat until done.

I have an unopened Absorber in my garage!

Maybe it's time to try it out?
Old 12-15-2017, 03:12 PM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by karmatourer
Does anyone here have any experience with MF towels from The Chemical Guys? I ordered a pack along with some wax from them and awaiting delivery tomorrow.TIA
I've ordered towels from Chemical Guys and I've been happy with them. Also a vote for the Rag Company. Another is Microfiber Tech.

Chemical Guys and others sell a laundry detergent for microfiber towels. It may be marketing bs, but seems to do a good job.

I find that soaking dirty rags overnight in a bucket with the detergent really helps. Also remember you can't wash microfiber towels with anything else. They pick up lint from cotton, etc.

Quick Reply: Aren't all microfiber towels basically the same?