Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Aren't all microfiber towels basically the same?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 04:36 PM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 640 Likes on 425 Posts

I just looked on Amazon for the Rag Company, and of course - they got their microfiber towels.

The only problem is that there are so many from which to choose!

How do you decide?

(I'm thinking that no matter which towels you pick, they're going to be great, so it really doesn't matter)
Old 12-15-2017, 05:22 PM
tmd937
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I have found that the cheap ones or the expensive ones leave fine fiber on your vehicle! Hard to get it off even does it after several washings !
Old 12-15-2017, 08:36 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA3
I just looked on Amazon for the Rag Company, and of course - they got their microfiber towels.

The only problem is that there are so many from which to choose!

How do you decide?

(I'm thinking that no matter which towels you pick, they're going to be great, so it really doesn't matter)
See post #30. The AutoGeek article is like micro fibre cloth training. It should answer your questions.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:45 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

In my travels as a professional detailer, I have discovered people are a bit confused about Microfiber towels. I will try and clear a few things up with this post and make it human readable. I have tested over 200 different types of Microfiber towels, it is definitely not a small, small world…..

Why Do I Want Quality Towels for Auto Detailing?
Have you ever seen a black car with all those fine scratches in the finish? Those fine scratches really take away from the shine.
Light reflecting off of a flat surface is much brighter than what is reflected off of a bumpy surface. Those fine scratches/swirls are a bumpy surface, albeit they are pretty tiny, but nonetheless they are a detraction and will reduce the shine your paint will have.
Those fine swirls are generally caused by using poor quality wash equipment/techniques and towels for drying.

What are Microfiber Towels?

Microfiber Towels are the latest rage because of their ability to absorb material and remain soft. It is in some cases three times better than ordinary cotton towels for the same area.
This is done by creating literally thousands of microscopic sized fibers and blending them together. This is much easier to do with a synthetic fiber over a cotton fiber. That blending of the fiber creates a larger surface. The larger surface improves the ability of the fabric to absorb dirt, water, polish, etc and keep it away from the paint surface.

There are no standards in the Microfiber world where a standard is strictly adhered to by all manufacturers, like there is in the cotton Towel world. A loose standard is the Polyester/Polyamide content.
Even within the same MF towel manufacturer, quality can vary widely.

What Kind of Microfiber Towels Should I Buy?

When purchasing for auto detail use always make sure there is a label specifying the Polyester/Polyamide mix. Almost all “synthetic Microfiber towels are made up of a Polyester/Polyamide content mix. It is the Polyamide content that determines the towels softness and when mixed with the Polyester helps prevent scratching/swirl marks.

For detailing purposes you should get towels with a maximum of 80% Polyester and a minimum of 20% Polyamide. A 75/25 or a 70/30 indicates a softer towel, but necessarily a better quality towel. Some of the lower cost manufacturers will use the label number prior to weaving versus after weaving. The weaving process has a tendency to raise the Polyester number and lower the Polyamide number. There is really no clear cut way to tell other than the CD test.
Do not use anything above 80% Polyester, they will scratch. I have had customers buy the 3M House cleaning cloths, or Makeup removal towels that are a 90/10 mix and then wonder why they have swirl marks.

How do I Know if I Have a Good Towel or Bad?

There is the infamous CD Test to test the quality of your towels. Take a CD, generally one you don’t really care about, and rub the towel in a straight line with fairly heavy pressure on the recording(ed) side. If you see scratches in the direction you were rubbing, that is happening to your paint.
I have actually taken a CD into the store and done the test before buying a towel I want.
If you see scratches, relegate that towel to windows, or wheels.
I buy a lot of towels, and I use the Rag Company - The Rag Company, like many of you. I have been dealing with them for many years and have had only one batch of towels I was unhappy with, the “Eagle Edgeless” an incredibly soft towel, one of the best for paint correction compound removal, or polish/wax removal but the lint it leaves behind is horrendous. and as a professional detailer I simply cannot have that.

How Do I Take Care of my Microfiber Towels
I have found Tide Free to be the best off the shelf detergent(No fragrance/No oil). Many liquid detergents still contain oils and perfume. That oil will get transferred to the paint and not allow your polish/wax to stick. It can also leave behind a dulling film of oil that attracts dust. We have started using Gyeon Q2M Towel wash with excellent results.

Wash them all by themselves, mixed in with other fabrics they will pick up the lint, and you will have a linty mess on your paint.
If you do not have softened water, when the rinse cycle begins to fill, add ¼ cup of white vinegar based on the water level. A low water level ¼ cup. Medium water level ½ cup and so on. Microfiber towels are unique as they will retain mineral content from unsoftened water, and when the towels are dried that mineral content will build up in the fiber and will scratch the paint surface and reduce it’s ability to absorb water. Unlike cotton towels where the fabric is much looser, and not hold as much mineral content, Microfiber is very tight and retains minerals, clogging the fabric.
When you are finished using a towel, toss it into a bucket of water and whatever will dissolve your polish/wax/ For me, as a Zaino user, I have a 5 gallon bucket with ¼ bottle of alcohol. The alcohol is a cleansing solution and does not allow the compounds or Zaino to cure and harden the microfiber.
For Ceramic coatings towels, I have 5 gallon bucket with ½ cup of vinegar. Let these soak for 60+ minutes then wash them. The Ceramic coatings will harden the fabric very quickly and ruin the towel.

Drying – Microfiber towels are dried on very low heat to the point they are almost dry but a touch moist. Drying them to totally dry, will build up static in the towel and that static will get transferred to the paint. That static will attract dust, and I suspect you know the rest. High heat can melt the microfiber. You won't see it or feel it but it happens.

In any discussion with the Big Box/Big Store towels, run the CD test. The last batch I bought only 5 out of 36 passed my scratch test.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 12-16-2017 at 12:48 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Grzldvt1:
06nine (02-17-2018), DGA3 (12-16-2017), Mark Ca (12-20-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 07:33 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
In my travels as a professional detailer, I have discovered people are a bit confused about Microfiber towels. I will try and clear a few things up with this post and make it human readable. I have tested over 200 different types of Microfiber towels, it is definitely not a small, small world…..

Why Do I Want Quality Towels for Auto Detailing?
Have you ever seen a black car with all those fine scratches in the finish? Those fine scratches really take away from the shine.
Light reflecting off of a flat surface is much brighter than what is reflected off of a bumpy surface. Those fine scratches/swirls are a bumpy surface, albeit they are pretty tiny, but nonetheless they are a detraction and will reduce the shine your paint will have.
Those fine swirls are generally caused by using poor quality wash equipment/techniques and towels for drying.

What are Microfiber Towels?
Microfiber Towels are the latest rage because of their ability to absorb material and remain soft. It is in some cases three times better than ordinary cotton towels for the same area.
This is done by creating literally thousands of microscopic sized fibers and blending them together. This is much easier to do with a synthetic fiber over a cotton fiber. That blending of the fiber creates a larger surface. The larger surface improves the ability of the fabric to absorb dirt, water, polish, etc and keep it away from the paint surface.

There are no standards in the Microfiber world where a standard is strictly adhered to by all manufacturers, like there is in the cotton Towel world. A loose standard is the Polyester/Polyamide content.
Even within the same MF towel manufacturer, quality can vary widely.

When purchasing for auto detail use always make sure there is a label specifying the Polyester/Polyamide mix. Almost all “synthetic Microfiber towels are made up of a Polyester/Polyamide content mix. It is the Polyamide content that determines the towels softness and when mixed with the Polyester helps prevent scratching/swirl marks.

For detailing purposes you should get towels with a maximum of 80% Polyester and a minimum of 20% Polyamide. A 75/25 or a 70/30 indicates a softer towel, but necessarily a better quality towel. Some of the lower cost manufacturers will use the label number prior to weaving versus after weaving. The weaving process has a tendency to raise the Polyester number and lower the Polyamide number. There is really no clear cut way to tell other than the CD test.
Do not use anything above 80% Polyester, they will scratch. I have had customers buy the 3M House cleaning cloths, or Makeup removal towels that are a 90/10 mix and then wonder why they have swirl marks.

How do I Know if I Have a Good Towel or Bad?
There is the infamous CD Test to test the quality of your towels. Take a CD, generally one you don’t really care about, and rub the towel in a straight line with fairly heavy pressure on the recording(ed) side. If you see scratches in the direction you were rubbing, that is happening to your paint.
I have actually taken a CD into the store and done the test before buying a towel I want.
If you see scratches, relegate that towel to windows, or wheels.
I buy a lot of towels, and I use the Rag Company - The Rag Company, like many of you. I have been dealing with them for many years and have had only one batch of towels I was unhappy with, the “Eagle Edgeless” an incredibly soft towel, one of the best for paint correction compound removal, or polish/wax removal but the lint it leaves behind is horrendous. and as a professional detailer I simply cannot have that.

How Do I Take Care of my Microfiber Towels
I have found Tide Free to be the best off the shelf detergent(No fragrance/No oil). Many liquid detergents still contain oils and perfume. That oil will get transferred to the paint and not allow your polish/wax to stick. It can also leave behind a dulling film of oil that attracts dust. We have started using Gyeon Q2M Towel wash with excellent results.

Wash them all by themselves, mixed in with other fabrics they will pick up the lint, and you will have a linty mess on your paint.
If you do not have softened water, when the rinse cycle begins to fill, add ¼ cup of white vinegar based on the water level. A low water level ¼ cup. Medium water level ½ cup and so on. Microfiber towels are unique as they will retain mineral content from unsoftened water, and when the towels are dried that mineral content will build up in the fiber and will scratch the paint surface and reduce it’s ability to absorb water. Unlike cotton towels where the fabric is much looser, and not hold as much mineral content, Microfiber is very tight and retains minerals, clogging the fabric.
When you are finished using a towel, toss it into a bucket of water and whatever will dissolve your polish/wax/ For me, as a Zaino user, I have a 5 gallon bucket with ¼ bottle of alcohol. The alcohol is a cleansing solution and does not allow the compounds or Zaino to cure and harden the microfiber.
For Ceramic coatings towels, I have 5 gallon bucket with ½ cup of vinegar. Let these soak for 60+ minutes then wash them. The Ceramic coatings will harden the fabric very quickly and ruin the towel.

Drying – Microfiber towels are dried on very low heat to the point they are almost dry but a touch moist. Drying them to totally dry, will build up static in the towel and that static will get transferred to the paint. That static will attract dust, and I suspect you know the rest. High heat can melt the microfiber. You won't see it or feel it but it happens.

In any discussion with the Big Box/Big Store towels, run the CD test. The last batch I bought only 5 out of 36 passed my scratch test.

Hope this helps
That's some very helpful information.

Thank you very much.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

For detailing purposes you should get towels with a maximum of 80% Polyester and a minimum of 20% Polyamide. A 75/25 or a 70/30 indicates a softer towel, but necessarily a better quality towel.

Hope this helps

Good reading. I love using the Costco/Kirkland towels. They pass the CD test and are 80% polyester and 20% Polyamide.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:20 AM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 341 Likes on 213 Posts

+1 for the Costco MF towels.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PbQhBssYd6skPMjB3
Old 12-16-2017, 06:17 PM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

I just got a bunch of the Eagle Edgeless a few months ago and used and washed them several times. Mine don't leave any lint behind at all. Maybe a bad batch?! Hands down my favorite towel to use.
The following users liked this post:
Grzldvt1 (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 06:33 PM
WideVette
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA3
I have an unopened Absorber in my garage!

Maybe it's time to try it out?

I've been using the same Absorber on dozens of cars for over 20 years! Make sure it goes back into its container soon after use or it dries out (dampen to restore). Great for drying, not for polishing. Lay flat, grab the corners and pull to edge of panel like an "old school" chamois.

P.S. 4.6/5 on Amazon with an "A" Fakespot rating. Zero maintenance and will last for decades (my experience as well as other reviewers). My experience is based on an old towel, I can't speak to the current ones for sale.

Last edited by WideVette; 12-16-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:35 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WideVette
I've been using the same Absorber on dozens of cars for over 20 years! Make sure it goes back into its container soon after use or it dries out (dampen to restore). Great for drying, not for polishing. Lay flat, grab the corners and pull to edge of panel like an "old school" chamois.

P.S. 4.6/5 on Amazon with an "A" Fakespot rating. Zero maintenance and will last for decades (my experience as well as other reviewers). My experience is based on an old towel, I can't speak to the current ones for sale.
The only problem with the Absorber is it has no nap, so if it gets any grit caught in it, that will cause swirl marks versus a towel that will absorb the grit and keep it off the paint surface.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:44 PM
bobbykart
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Default No,try Microfibertech...

I was at theirs shop a couple weeks ago, here in ,San Diego.They supply most of the small online companies
Old 12-16-2017, 11:51 PM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Chamois and absorbers are things of the past since microfiber came along. Produces too much friction to the paint. I'll use my old absorber on the windows and that's it! I have metallic black and use only the softest micro on it. What's your go to on ceramic? I just bought a new [another brand] car and have been correcting it all week getting it ready for my ExPel guy to cover it. My friend is hounding me to ceramic it after I get it covered next week. He uses Adam's on his but, I didn't like the removal process. It feels like your trying to remove tape residue when wiping it off. It smooths out after you hit it with Ceramic Boost. Does the coating enhance gloss over and above product used for correcting the paint?
Old 12-17-2017, 12:07 AM
WideVette
Racer

The only problem with the Absorber is it has no nap, so if it gets any grit caught in it, that will cause swirl marks versus a towel that will absorb the grit and keep it off the paint surface.

That's why you wash it first!

Seriously, although I haven't seen it as an issue in 20 years of using one religiously, it's possible(?) even from simple airborne contaminants (I suppose?).

The Absorber is a one hit wonder, it doesn't double as a polisher as microfiber does. But it sure holds water and will literally last forever! I use both, just don't dry with microfiber. Maybe I'm making more work. Always open to improvements!

Thanks for the great detail provided in your previous post. I bookmarked the page for quick access due to your input.

Last edited by WideVette; 12-17-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:36 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Um, well, then I guess I could use my new Absorber on Mrs. DGA3's black Toyota RAV4!

Old 12-17-2017, 01:00 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Yes the Absorber can cause swirl marks if there is grit in it. Hot tip - Wash the car before you use the Absorber and you wont have that problem.
WideVette (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 01:06 PM
WideVette
Racer

Originally Posted by DWillys
Yes the Absorber can cause swirl marks if there is grit in it. Hot tip - Wash the car before you use the Absorber and you wont have that problem.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:44 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Final comment on the Absorber, yes washing is the ticket, but can pretty much guarantee their will be some reside on the car, the the Absorber will pick up and drag across the car. Keep in mind I see 6-8 cars a day. I ask customers how they wash and dry their cars.
If it works for you, wonderful, not going to argue.

Get notified of new replies

To Aren't all microfiber towels basically the same?

Old 12-18-2017, 07:39 AM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Hey Grzldvt1, What's your go to for ceramic coating?
Old 12-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
You're right, No lint/fiber or streaks on the glass.
After I tried them I bought more
I just bought a package of these to try on glass. The Costco towels do a good job but I always end up getting them mixed up with towels used for waxing and detailing wheels. Going to keep these "blue towels" separate and only use for windows and see how they work out.
Thanks for the tip

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 12-20-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Dif (12-23-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 11:33 PM
Mark Ca
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks to everyone for all of the great comments

Quick Reply: Aren't all microfiber towels basically the same?