Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Hwo Do Collectors Maintain Their Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

Default Hwo Do Collectors Maintain Their Cars?

So I'm looking at my car (C7 Z06) here in Iowa (now put away for the winter) and a question comes to mind:

How do people with high end cars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti), or collectors with a number of cars maintain their cars when they know the cars aren't or can't be driven a lot?

Do they have car covers for all of their cars? Do they buy/use gas stabilizers by the case and/or change out the gas tank every year? Do they change out the rubber every 3-5 years to prevent the tires from drying out and speed de-rating?

My car is sitting under a cover in a heated garage cleaned and waxed on a trickle charger with tires pumped up to 40 psi and Stabil in the tank. Is that what all of these other guys all do?
Old 12-17-2017, 09:31 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,250 Likes on 915 Posts

Usually they either have a staff that does it or they will hire an outside detail contractor to do it for them.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Ca (01-31-2018)
Old 12-18-2017, 12:51 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

I can tell you. In Silicon Valley in the area my detail shop is in, they have people come in. We do several collections for people who are on a company prospectus.. It is not unusual to run into someone maintaining the mechanicals. Most understand the cars need to be driven once in awhile.
The lesser financially endowed, so to speak, will deliver their cars to my shop so it is driven every few months. In several instances I will go and pick them up.
it is a mix, depending on the owner.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:36 AM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

Looking at my car sitting in the garage, it just seemed like an interesting situation for someone that might have 4-5 or maybe even 10 cars, none of which get driven maybe less than a thousand miles a year. More than that, and I would agree that professional services are required because the scope of the job would have expanded into a full time job.

Follow-up: other than detailing, do collectors worry about gas stabilization and rubber degradation?
Old 12-25-2017, 12:32 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Range_Rat
Thanks for the responses.

Looking at my car sitting in the garage, it just seemed like an interesting situation for someone that might have 4-5 or maybe even 10 cars, none of which get driven maybe less than a thousand miles a year. More than that, and I would agree that professional services are required because the scope of the job would have expanded into a full time job.

Follow-up: other than detailing, do collectors worry about gas stabilization and rubber degradation?
I'm certainly not a high end collector, but I have a modest fleet of 7 that I drive and maintain. I drive them all regularly, polish them myself and do my own regular mechanical maintenance. It's manageable, but when you start getting into 15 or 20 plus cars, you need help.
Fluid changes occupy a lot of time. Battery tenders are a must, especially for newer cars that keep complex systems alive. I've never used fuel stabilizers in any of my cars and never had fuel degradation issues.
Modern radials don't seem to flatspot like the old bias ply did, but I try to drive them as often as possible. A maintenance log for each car is mandatory. I have friends with large collections. They have too many to drive regularly, so fuel stabilizers are necessary.

Get notified of new replies

To Hwo Do Collectors Maintain Their Cars?

Quick Reply: Hwo Do Collectors Maintain Their Cars?