Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Detailing tools & products you can't live without?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 02:06 AM
jdlev
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Detailing tools & products you can't live without?

Hi Guys,

With the 3rd kid on the way, and being delivered (hopefully) within the week...i was going to ask the wife for some detailing tools for Christmas. I've seen the detail shops use a lot of air tools or rechargeable drill tools like buffers, so I'll probably get a few of those buffing type attachments.

What's your favorite detailing tool that you use the most often?

I'll have to take a close look when she gets here, so I'm not sure if there's any paint correction or improvement that needs to be done. The dealer is 'detailing' it before shipment. My truck has a few dents and dings to the paint that I can practice on before trying it out on the vette...more practice than I would like lol. Mainly stuff from door strikes, but there's a few scratches to the clear coat I'd like to try and fix as well (on the truck).

I try to keep what I do to my cars simple, and not knowing what 'detailing' has been done to the car before hand...not sure what I should take on to protect the car when it gets here. I've seen ceramic get a lot of interest, but to be honest I really like the look and smell of the carnauba spray on wax I'm considering making the jump to ceramic just because I like the really wet/glossly look - especially since the car is totally white. If I did jump to ceramic, what DIY kit would you guys recommend?
Old 12-18-2017, 03:13 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Well, if you want a polisher, a good one, pick up a Rupes LHR15 Mark II. This buffer has a 15mm throw and with the various foam pads and polishes available you can keep your car looking great all the time. I bought a kit that came with storage bag, four pads, four polishes, and apron. Just like you, I have a truck that will be the test subject but I really bought it to maintain the Corvette. The kit was $540, so not cheap but I'm happy with the contents of the kit.

Aside from that, a good wash kit is a must if you're washing your own cars. Buckets, grit guards, wash mitts, and quality towels. I also picked up a blower to clear water from seams. Blow water out of all the hidey holes, spritz with spray detailer, and wipe down with a good towel to really bring out the shine. Aside from the polisher, the blower is probably my favorite tool and definitely used the most. Electric model from Home Depot for $60 or so. Saves a ton of time.

Mike
Old 12-18-2017, 06:25 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I'd recommend a 10 pack of good quality micro fiber towels from a reputable source, not generic towels from a discount store, there is a difference. These are for general washing and wiping (more on that below). Get a large waffle weave micro fiber towel for drying, or use super plush smaller towels for drying (my choice, I got a 3 pack). A good polisher, hook and loop backing plates, pads for various purposes. A good rolling seat is handy for detailing lower areas.

Lots of opinions on detail finishing products and I won't start that discussion but I'd recommend picking a brand and use their associated products, they've been tested together. Mixing brands may not be as successful.

I adopted a method I learned here where you don't need a grit guard. Instead use a clean micro fiber towel every time you dip into the soapy water. Towel 1 washes roof and back glass, towel 2 washes driver side, towel 3 hood and bumper.... you get the idea. Use 3, 4, 5, towels per wash, however many it takes. Never dip a used towel into the soap, never contaminate your soapy water.
The following users liked this post:
Buggy650 (01-20-2018)
Old 12-18-2017, 07:00 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

I use a Meguiars Dual Action Polisher but there are many out there

https://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html
Old 12-18-2017, 07:05 AM
Inferno24
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 137 Posts

Wheel woolies for sure! They clean the full depth of the inside of the rims.
jdlev (01-07-2018)
Old 12-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Inferno18
Wheel woolies for sure! They clean the full depth of the inside of the rims.
and a good leaf blower to dry the car off.
joemessman (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 10:37 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

^^^Yeah, get some Wheel Woolies. Make cleaning those wheels much simpler.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

When I bought my C5 many moons ago I had a problem with water spots on the glass and couldn't get them off, no matter what. I contacted Meguiar's tech people who said I could use one of their plastic cleaners or polishes. With time it did the job.

When I got the C7 I found the same issue, maybe from setting out in Joisy weather a couple months; I don't know. I couldn't remember which product to use so I contacted M tech, again. Like before I got an almost immediate, personal reply from a real person who said they now have a "kit" specifically for this, along with a direct link to purchase it, and he told me to contact him directly with any issues, questions, or feedback.

I bought the kit. It did take several applications in my instance but it works (far quicker, more efficiently than the plastic polish of yore). I HIGHLY recommend it for its intended purpose... and, Meguiar's tech, as well!!!
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2017, 03:44 PM
BobFic
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Lets not forget 12 pack of BEER...
Old 12-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I got the Adams ceramic kit and I’m really happy with the results. The kit had easy to understand instructions and was easy to apply, which is what I wanted. It includes everything you need, coating, boost, pre-coat cleaner and towels/applicators.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:29 PM
GregNYC
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a newbie at detailing my Corvette. Back in the 1980's I had a Pontiac Fiero and used Liquid Glass products with great success. But I was willing to start afresh with new stuff for my new Vette. In the two months before my purchase, I did tons of research and listened to about 40 hours of car-guy detail videos on Youtube. Then bit the bullet and bought a lot of products.

After buying my car, I detailed it only one time - right after the 250-mile drive home from the dealer in cold weather. In a heated garage, I spent 7 hrs detailing the car inside and out, then put the car up for the winter.

I'm very pleased with the results from the products I invested in, thanks to all that research. Plus, my XPEL installer (who did a ceramic coat on top of the XPEL) made some recommendations that I followed dutifully.

I've got other applicators, solutions and doodads, but here are a few things that worked well for me:
  • Carpro Reload. I have Ceramic on top of XPEL over 90% of the car. Ceramic on the glass too. The installer recommended Reload as a good sealant for a "sacrificial layer" on top of the ceramic and window glass. Use a very thin coat. According to some videos, Reload can leave hazes and streaks if you're not careful, but I found one video that shows how to apply the Reload streak-free. And it works!
  • Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. Another recommendation from my XPEL installer. Use a thin, thin coat. I couldn't believe it, the surface is even smoother and glossier than with the Reload alone. Slipperiest car I ever touched!
  • Griot's Garage Interior Detailer. For surfaces that are not too dirty. (Griot's also has a cleaner, but I may not need that for this car.) This product was for the dash, plastic, hard surfaces, nav screen, etc., not the seats. I've tried a lot of interior detail products. They are either too oily, too tacky, too sticky, or too dull. This one gives exactly the classy finish I like for this car.
  • I don't have a specific recommendation yet, still looking, but it's important. Good vacuum cleaner. the storage garage where I keep my car has great wall-mounted vacuums, but I'd like my own too.
  • Rolled-edge microfiber towels (not hemmed or stitched), from from a car-detail supplier.
  • Bucket or two with grit guards at the bottom.
  • Rolling stool so you can sit while doing the vertical sides and wheels of the car. Saves the knees. My buckets work for this. They have wheel attachments and strong screw-down lids which bear my body-weight. These are available from the auto detail suppliers.
  • There is a good soap especially made for ceramic surfaces. I can't remember the name right now. It gave me a clean surface with moderately foamy suds, no oily residue. I'm at work and will have to get to my garage to check the name.
  • There is another soap for the microfiber towels that has no scent, no oils or softeners, and cuts through all the detailing product on the towels. I have even hand-washed a set of towels between machine-washes (practiced on my wife's new car). Sorry, I'll get that name too.

The garage where I store my car has wall-mounted vacuum cleaners and wall-mounted high-pressure air hoses. I would like a good vacuum that I could run without needing an AC outlet - like for a car show...

Last edited by GregNYC; 12-18-2017 at 05:30 PM.
jdlev (12-19-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 05:42 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Folding bucket to keep in the trunk for washing bumper bugs on road trips. Found mine on fleabay pretty cheap. When collapsed, it still holds a couple of terry washcloths and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for stubborn scuffs on the interior sill trim.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:23 AM
jdlev
Instructor

Originally Posted by BobFic
Lets not forget 12 pack of BEER...
Well, I'm not a total noob.

I know my way around a brew or 12

Last edited by jdlev; 12-19-2017 at 01:27 AM.
ronkh57 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:46 AM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

Adam's H20 G & G is the most bang for the buck product I've ever used. The instant bling you get from it is amazing. It works best on a finish that's already been corrected though.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:04 AM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

theragcompany.com has every towel you could imagine that I use. I just bought their 16 by 16 Eagle Edgeless towels for removing compounds and detail sprays. Their prices are much more reasonable than other detail suppliers. South Korean made towels are the better towels to buy.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:36 PM
jdlev
Instructor

Originally Posted by GregNYC
I'm a newbie at detailing my Corvette. Back in the 1980's I had a Pontiac Fiero and used Liquid Glass products with great success. But I was willing to start afresh with new stuff for my new Vette. In the two months before my purchase, I did tons of research and listened to about 40 hours of car-guy detail videos on Youtube. Then bit the bullet and bought a lot of products.
I don't suppose you offer samples? With all that research, why not just open up a detailing shop lol? ...thanks for all the input! I'm on pretty much the same path...though I think only about 2 hours worth of detailing youtube videos to this point. I'm down in NC, so I'll probably drive it while the weather is still nice out, and then do pretty much the same thing you mentioned....I didn't know half of this stuff existed before I went and looked at the car, or I would have checked the exterior for things like the protection film and swirl marks.

I'm waiting to hear back from Montway when a carrier can be scheduled, then the dealer will detail the car. I'm guessing when they say detail, they mean more than just a car wash. It was an AMG Mercedes-Benz dealership, and the z06 was about 1/4 of the price of a lot of the cars in their showroom. I'll have to get the details on what they actually do to the car. I might not have to do anything until they really start salting the roads down here.

When there's a hint of chance of frozen precipitation, they declare a state of emergency lol. Southerners....what can you do, lol.
Here's an image from snowpocalypse 2016...all 3 inches worth lol

Last edited by jdlev; 12-19-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:50 PM
bobbykart
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Good wheel cleaning tools are a must...

Good micro fiber,, favorite polish is Meguiars 205I kkeep
trying different waxes ,haven't discovered the. best yet,love duragloss aquawax

Get notified of new replies

To Detailing tools & products you can't live without?

Old 12-20-2017, 11:41 PM
Mark Ca
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Everything Zaino!
Old 12-22-2017, 09:42 AM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Master Blaster ! Saves a lot of time drying vehicles.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:14 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Optimum Polymer Technologies, they have saved time since I started in Feb. of ‘17������.

Quick Reply: Detailing tools & products you can't live without?