Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Removing Corrosion From Alumimum Wheel Barrel

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 09:13 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Removing Corrosion From Alumimum Wheel Barrel

Can someone suggest a product to remove corrision from the inside of an aluminum wheel barrel. I am looking for the lazy way...without wheel removal and abrasive sanding /polishing. I have tried spray on / wash off "aluminum brightener" marketed for marine applications that did some good but left much behind. The product needs to be strong enough to take off the pitting inside the wheel but not damage the chrome plated face.

Thanks in advance.

BIGMAC
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2017, 05:09 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

No easy way, wet-sanding and the whole nine look to be in order. Pitting can actually not be removed as I have come across some wheels and metal that I have wet-sanded with 100 grit and it laughs at me lol.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:05 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,238 Likes on 909 Posts

Regardless of what method you use the wheels need to be removed. You have a nice car so don't cheap out on the upkeep. Do it right the first time. If the wheels are pitted it cannot be removed without professional a wheel restoration. I would first try Scotchbrite to see what it takes to remove any surface oxidation. Depending on how bad things are this may very well be a professional restoration job. You could paint the barrels to cover up the imperfections but that is not fixing your problem. Worse case, replace the wheels if you are thinking about an upgrade in the near future.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:31 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

My dad had something similar to this on his truck wheels... took them off, sanded the barrels, masked them off and actually painted the barrels with silver after smoothing out the pitting. They look great now, and are easier to clean than ever.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:57 PM
Buggy650
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They use this to cleaner bare aluminum trailers.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Corrosion From Alumimum Wheel Barrel

Quick Reply: Removing Corrosion From Alumimum Wheel Barrel