Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How do I learn to detail my car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 01:02 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts
Default How do I learn to detail my car?

I thankfully now have my Z in a garage! But before, I had in the driveway under a cover. I can see now that the covering has my car FULL of swirl mark micro scratches. I am debating getting a several hundred dollar detailing job done, but I figure it'd be best (for my wallet too) to just learn how to do it.

My history has consisted of car washing and NuFinish polishing, never anything else. I'm terrified of orbital buffers as I've seen many people F up their cars, but I'd like to learn how to use them, how to select compounds, how to get a progressively better finish on my clear coat.

Anyone have good links, youtubes, or any how-to's with very specific step by steps?
Old 01-05-2018, 01:50 PM
davered00ss
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Check out your local forums. there are companies like Meguiar's, Adams., that put on Detailing 101 classes. they will teach you how to wash, clay, and use a buffer on your car using their products.

there are also detailing forums, by autogeek, chemical guys, Meguirar's, Adams etc.

You can also check out youtube tutorial videos from the same companies.

I hope this helps.

Dave
The following users liked this post:
Adam's Polish (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 02:21 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

videos will provide you guidance................

check out the Adam's videos here..............

http://adamspolishes.com/video

or else go to YouTube and subscribe to them to have access to all of the Adam's videos, old and new....................
Old 01-05-2018, 05:10 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Check out your local forums. there are companies like Meguiar's, Adams., that put on Detailing 101 classes. they will teach you how to wash, clay, and use a buffer on your car using their products.

there are also detailing forums, by autogeek, chemical guys, Meguirar's, Adams etc.

You can also check out youtube tutorial videos from the same companies.

I hope this helps.

Dave
Thanks Dave........Here's the link for our videos, there is a lot of good info

http://adamspolishes.com/video
Old 01-06-2018, 07:53 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4mUqaB4UuPQ91m
ronkh57 (01-08-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 09:29 AM
davered00ss
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

AMMO NY on youtube does some nice videos as well.

Adams has videos of how to use each of their products on their website.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:30 AM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Some don’t care for his style, but look up Junkman2000 on YouTube. He has quite a few no nonsense videos on proper care. Also Adams Polishescom video section , Mike Phillips from Autogeek.net and Larry from Ammo have great videos to get you going.

After watching hundreds of hours videos, I have found all the videos get down a few basic areas. I would qualify those as follows:

Exterior
Wash
decontamination
correction
protection

Interior
Clean
protection

Tools and Products
Don’t get hung up on these but rather study the above general areas and the proper tools and products will start to make sense.

Take one area and focus on perfecting the technique for each. For example just saying washing is a bit of an understatement IMO because how you wash your wheels should differ from how you wash paint. Here’s my wash set up regiment:

I use 3 buckets every time I wash with dedicated wash media for 2 when “washing” my car-

Bucket 1- wheels with my wheel woolies, fender brush, tire brush and lug brush. Adams Shampoo & Water in the bucket and a bottle of APC. I’ll clean wheels and exhaust pipes out if this bucket and rinse with the hose.

Bucket 2- Adams Shampoo & Water. 2 wool wash mits one for the top half of the car and an old one for the lower rockers and defuser.

3rd bucket clean water. Buckets 2 & 3 are known as the Two bucket system and each have grit guards in the bottom of the bucket.

Keep in mind this is one aspect of just getting things ready to clean the car but an example to illustrate how far to break things down to get to your comfort level for each. It may seem daunting and confusing but just break it down to these main topics and you’ll be doing it all on your own in no time.

Enjoy the passion.

Last edited by WIC7Diver; 01-08-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:26 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by WIC7Diver
Some don’t care for his style, but look up Junkman2000 on YouTube. He has quite a few no nonsense videos on proper care.
Not to knock your post, I detail for a living and Junkman's posts are useless. About the best I have seen is him promoting a product so he can get more for free.
Adam's videos are the way to go.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:46 PM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Not to knock your post, I detail for a living and Junkman's posts are useless. About the best I have seen is him promoting a product so he can get more for free.
Adam's videos are the way to go.

Like I said, he's not for everyone but he is an example of what is out there: good, bad or indifferent.
Grzldvt1 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 08:20 AM
Frankers
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like Ammo NYC and Dallas Paint Correction & Auto Detailing YouTube channels. Check them out below:

https://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl...QbHMmKdVWTleaQ

On Ammo NYC he has a beginner detailing playlist that is great to check out and start with. He also has an older video where he does a quick detail on a 2014 Stingray.
I like DPCAD for his unbiased product recommendations. He uses cheap products sometimes because they work. It is refreshing to see that since most videos are sponsored or want to be sponsored.

Have fun!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:18 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I like The Rag Company channel, AMMO, Autogeek 40+ minute class video's, Obsessed Garage (sometimes, not a fan of long drawn out video's), and Ben Bailey. Haha, the last one is mine. I am starting to post detailing video's for customers. The name of the channel will change soon to Innovative Auto Detailing.

The Rag Company video's were my favorite as I use Optimum products. Larry @AMMO is great for learning to use a DA and so is Mike @autogeek.

Adam's Polishes are great as well, their videos are great and to the point. Which you will find some people's channels are long and drawn out.

P.S. No, I am not the cash cab Ben Bailey. You may find parts of my current and future video's funny, to bad I am still no comedian.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:43 PM
Slick61
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Another vote for AutoGeek.net... huge detailing forum that's not as brand-centric as others.

Another idea... Meguiar's HQ is in Orange County, if you fancy a weekend trip... their intro detailing class is very fun, informative, and hands-on regarding washing, claying, & DA polishing... good pizza too.

I have also taken their more rarely offered advanced class, which focuses more on wet-sanding and rotary polishing... also very hands-on & informative.

They used to do a Thursday night "open garage", where you could drop by in the evening & try out pretty much any product they have... and/or ask advice from their staff. Usually starts up once daylight savings kicks in.

FYI... no affiliation with Meguiar's... I like (and use) a lot of their stuff, tho not exclusively.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:36 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Some YouTube channels and forums; Autopia is nice forum, lotsa very experienced & pros sharing info

Autogeek: https://www.youtube.com/user/autogeek

Esoteric https://www.youtube.com/user/EsotericAutoDetail

Autopia:
https://www.autopia.org/

Autogeek:
https://www.autogeekonline.net/

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 01-25-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:43 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

Autogeek is your best choice for the how-to videos and products.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:43 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I like the old Junkman videos. It is easy...you will need to invest about $200 in stuff to get started with a DA polisher. Maybe a little more.

If you and a friend split the costs on the buffing and polishing compound, that can help as an entire quart of product is a little expensive. I buy pint squeezy bottles anyhow and you could dispense the giant quart jugs into those (make sure they are airtight).

Get notified of new replies

To How do I learn to detail my car?

Quick Reply: How do I learn to detail my car?