Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Is there a "best" tire dressing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:25 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 639 Likes on 424 Posts
Default Is there a "best" tire dressing?

I've been reading a lot about them, and have come to the conclusion that it just depends on what look you are going for: wet/shiny, clean, natural, etc.

I've also learned that there are many, many products out there from which to choose!

Basically, I guess, there are two types: silicone-based and water-based. Silicone will give you more of the wet look, whereas as water looks natural.

Not sure if one lasts longer than the other (need to do more research).

So . . . . . what product do you use and why?

Before I spend my hard-earned money on a tire dressing, I'd like to know what you guys and gals think. Any information you could pass my way would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:02 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I like 303 Aerospace Protectant. Gives a matte, natural finish. Won't sling. It is also good for the tires. Water based.
Zaino also makes a nice product for a natural look.
If you like a bit more shine, Adam's makes a more aggressive product. It is the one with the yellow colored liquid. You will see it on their sight.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:34 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

of the many I've tried the 2 that last the longest on my applications are very different in nature. Mckee's tire coating ( water based-need to get tire very clean first. more coats= more shine but never the wet look. I can get a couple months out of this product. coats very easily and can be layered in a very short time).
Gyeon Q2 Tire (which does not seem to require the agressive cleaning of Mckee's) This is a SIO2 based dressing. A bit more sheen can be had with this dressing. Longevity is very good as well although I feel may be just a touch shorter.
I feel both products enhance the tire without giving it a false shine to them.I don't think anyone's who vehicles I do will go back to the "wet" look again
Old 01-20-2018, 10:56 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Tuff Shine Tire Coating has given me the best longevity; gloss level controlled by number of coats applied. On a 'hobby' car like wifes Vette, cleaned and applied initially in July 2016, quick clean and re-application in Summer 2017 and other than that, just wipedown during wash.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:46 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 341 Likes on 213 Posts

Yes, there is. Lemon Pledge...............without doubt.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:13 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

There is no "Best". You will get numerous recommendations and most will be good. Just stay away from the high silicone based products which give a greasy look and everything will stick to your tires.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:31 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

After trying many products I now use "Stoners Trim Shine". This product is not marketed as a tire dressing but I find it works better than anything I have tried including the Stoners "Tire Shine".

Amazon Amazon

BIGMAC
The following users liked this post:
Yaupon (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 07:01 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,230 Likes on 1,588 Posts

I have tried many products over the past few decades. I have settled on using Meguiar's Hyper Dressing in the gallon size. It is water-based, so I cut it with distilled water for the intended purpose. For tires and exterior plastic trim, I cut it 2:1 with water. That gives me a medium gloss. For engine bay plastic and other items, I cut it like 4:1. That gives me a rich satin look. Since I cut it with water, that gallon lasts a lonnng time.

Water-based dressings don't last as long as silicone-based, but if you don't drive your Vette every day, the tires stay looking nice. Besides, water-based dressings dry quickly and don't sling that greasy crap all over your car.

Last edited by FYRARMS; 01-22-2018 at 02:21 AM.
Yaupon (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 08:16 PM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 639 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
I have tried many products over the past few decades. I have settled on using Meguiar's Hyper Dressing in the gallon size. It is water-based, so I cut it with distilled water for the intended purpose. For tires and exterior plastic trim, I cut it 2:1 with water. That gives me a medium gloss. For engine bay plastic and other items, I cut it like 4:1. That gives me a rich satin look. Since I cut it with water, that gallon lasts a lonnng time.

Water-based dressings don't last as long as silicone-based, but if you don't drive your Vette every day like me, the tires stay looking nice. Besides, water-based dressings dry quickly and don't sling that greasy crap all over your car.
I saw that product mentioned in several detailing You Tube videos.

It must be pretty good!
FYRARMS (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 11:31 AM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA3
I saw that product mentioned in several detailing You Tube videos.

It must be pretty good!
The Hyper Dressing by Meguiar's is very good. Good UV protection. Not cheap.
I buy it in the 5 gal containers and split it with a couple other guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a "best" tire dressing?

Quick Reply: Is there a "best" tire dressing?