Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Late to the party: Kamikaze!! Polish/MF haze ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 11:14 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Late to the party: Kamikaze!! Polish/MF haze ?'s

I have sat on the fence long enough. I am leaving Zaino for Kamikaze and Qyeon products. I am in need of some answers or thoughts on a particular issue I am having in preparing for the new coating.

I am getting a micro-haze on only one of my cars: 2016 Audi S6.
I was under the impression it was my dry towels, so I washed them as I normally do, and tried them on my Z06. I only used one of the panels on the Z06, it is LMB in color, and not one of the towels left any sign of haze/marks in the finish.

I did polish out the Audi, as it is a CPO vehicle for us, and used my favorite: Menzerna products(2 stages). It did polish out well, but I really need to go to a MF pad level with the compound to get at the deeper marks(think previous owner was a car wash/dealer wash only type). I am now wondering if Menzerna is responsible for the haze I am seeing. Is it possible Menzerna residue can sit on the finish, even through wash, as the haze seems to have the optical illusion or reality of moving with a towel wipe.

Esoteric sent me some Sonax Perfect Finish and I went after 2 panels with it. Haze minimized/eliminated, but came right back after another wash. This has towels written all over it, but can't duplicate on another vehicle. I have several hundreds $$ in towels, so hard to say they are out and order new......but......

Wash sequence: 3 bucket method, Gyeon Foam(love this), dedicated wheel mitts/brushes/bucket completed first with full rinse after, Gyeon Bathe Essence w/3 pumps to just over 4 gallons and gyeon mitts, Cobra Waffle weave dry with compressed air help in areas needed. Audi is not coated and has no Zaino on it. Should be just paint with amount of polish completed.

This is the same I use on my Corvette, but I have NONE, ZERO of this type of paint defect/appearance in the Corvettes paint. The corvette, for lack of better, looks like glass in all light. In fact, Kamikaze is going on it today.....ok, maybe tomorrow. Time is a missing element around here lately.

Thank you for all your help and the great reviews of the various coatings out there. I don't jump on the bandwagon, so to speak, quickly, but Zaino has its time limits and I want more time between coated to needs another. My DDs are the ones I am most interested in. Can't get much time in Colorado winter with Zaino protection.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:24 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I think you'll enjoy the Kamikaze; all our cars are done in Miyabi + ISM, a coat if Infinity Wax on occasion, all maintained with Overcoat used as a drying aid.

As far as potential haze, it can even survive a single wipedown with Gyeon Prep. Ran into this with a black Honda. Couldn't really see it until I pointed a penlight (Scangrip) at paint and I could see the 'starburst' of haze. Wiped horizontally and the burst wss predominantly vertical, when I wiped vertically, the starburst would shift to predominantly horizontal. Eventually hadda wipe car down with Prep very very lightly switching to new towel for each panel as the slightest bit of towel residue would introduce haze again; not in the paint but rather on the paint.

Menzerna is a somewhat oily product, one reason I switched to Jescar. In the Honda's case, Scholl S40 on a LC Crimson Hydrotech pad solved it and gave me a clarity and gloss i could never achieve with Menz 3800.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 03-06-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:26 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
Menzerna is a somewhat oily product, one reason I switched to Jescar. In the Honda's case, Scholl S40 on a LC Crimson Hydrotech pad solved it and gave me a clarity and gloss i could never achieve with Menz 3800.
Thank you for the info. I see your comments on several forums and Esoteric's website. You are one of the reasons I have finally decided to move to a coating vs Zaino.

I have a bottle Jescar's at this point. Highly recommended by Esoteric. Also have Sonax final polish and I have used it. Really like it.

I have a sneaky feeling the hazing I see is some sort of residue ON the paint and not in the paint. It changes, much like you mention in your reply, with a swipe of a towel. I will try to get after it with Gyeon Prep and see what happens. It is the only car in my line up acting this way. I have been a menzerna guy for a while.....it is possible it finally showed its bad side.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:00 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Could just be the nature if the paint I guess. When I ran into it i got a bottle of Gtechniq Panel Wipe and that seemed to wipe cleaner then Prep did in that case.

Have to work in smaller sections with Gtechniq as it evaporates quicker but in that particular situation, it seemed to work better. Have accumulated a few different panel preps over the past few months; generally start/use Gyeon but use others on occasion...whatever seems to be easiest at the time.

Don't pretend to know why another works better in some situations.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:59 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

I have seen this and some paints are very sensitive to detergent oils. What detergent are you using to wash your towels? Some paints are much more sensitive to the oils and perfumes that are in the detergent than others.
We use both Gyeon Towel wash and Micro-Fibre Restore and it eliminated a haze we were getting. Audi paints are incredibly soft, and I saw the same thing happen on a black A8.
Problem solved with Gyeon Towel wash and vinegar rinse.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:13 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
I have seen this and some paints are very sensitive to detergent oils. What detergent are you using to wash your towels? Some paints are much more sensitive to the oils and perfumes that are in the detergent than others.
We use both Gyeon Towel wash and Micro-Fibre Restore and it eliminated a haze we were getting. Audi paints are incredibly soft, and I saw the same thing happen on a black A8.
What does the vinegar contribute to the wash? Have occasionally heard of using it. I like Micro-Restore but would be truly overjoyed if Gyeon would start selling towel wash in a 4L jug, regardless of price. Dunno why I like it, but I do and the little bottles are just too impractical. Woulda preferred a 4L Bathe too as opposed to Bathe Essence but life sometimes passes me by without listening...
Old 03-09-2018, 03:06 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
This is my exact wash. I have heard that some Audi paints are soft and others hard. I am guessing my issue is more of an oil/detergent left on the paint, as it has resolved itself with a good wipe down with Gyeon Prep.

May try your other wipe recommendation, BudgetPlan1.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:38 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Ii had my car coated with Kenzo Coating from IGL Products, which comes with a 4 year warranty.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:07 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
What does the vinegar contribute to the wash? Have occasionally heard of using it. I like Micro-Restore but would be truly overjoyed if Gyeon would start selling towel wash in a 4L jug, regardless of price. Dunno why I like it, but I do and the little bottles are just too impractical. Woulda preferred a 4L Bathe too as opposed to Bathe Essence but life sometimes passes me by without listening...
Vinegar is a natural water softener, plus it dissolves mineral content and oil/perfumes that get built up in a towel from your standard detergents.
Microfiber towels are unique, and the wash/dry cycle causes mineral content/oils from the water/detergent to build up in the fabric. Vinegar dissolves it and returns the fabric to it's original content.
Gyeon calls for 2ML of soap in a wash, that is two capfuls. I will put in three capfuls because we are washing way more towels at my shop than the normal person would. Works like a charm, but my water is hard so the vinegar helps.
The Gyeon bottle gives me 25-30 washes
The following users liked this post:
BudgetPlan1 (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 03:09 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
This is my exact wash. I have heard that some Audi paints are soft and others hard. I am guessing my issue is more of an oil/detergent left on the paint, as it has resolved itself with a good wipe down with Gyeon Prep.

May try your other wipe recommendation, BudgetPlan1.
BINGO You have it nailed.

Get notified of new replies

To Late to the party: Kamikaze!! Polish/MF haze ?'s

Quick Reply: Late to the party: Kamikaze!! Polish/MF haze ?'s