Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino Accelerator Q

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 02:29 PM
Sphinx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Zaino Accelerator Q

I'm getting tired of buying zaino accelerator, not going through it fast enough, and having to throw the rest away because it dries up. Typically I go two or three polish routines and then a few months later I find the stuff dried up.

Now, I have a new car that I need to zaino and I am out of accelerator. Other than the ability to be able to reapply polish the car very quickly, provided that I am willing to wait for the coat to dry, what's the harm in using the polish without the accelerator?

​​​
Old 03-10-2018, 11:19 PM
Mark Ca
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Sphinx
I'm getting tired of buying zaino accelerator, not going through it fast enough, and having to throw the rest away because it dries up. Typically I go two or three polish routines and then a few months later I find the stuff dried up.

Now, I have a new car that I need to zaino and I am out of accelerator. Other than the ability to be able to reapply polish the car very quickly, provided that I am willing to wait for the coat to dry, what's the harm in using the polish without the accelerator?

​​​
There's nothing wrong with that. That's how I used to do it prior to the accelerator. Their Z-CS clear is great also
Old 03-11-2018, 04:25 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

In my shop, we will do a Z-CS(Clear Seal) as a base, then Z-8, another Clear Seal with Z-8, up to 3 coats of each. The results are stunning.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Ca (03-11-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:24 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
In my shop, we will do a Z-CS(Clear Seal) as a base, then Z-8, another Clear Seal with Z-8, up to 3 coats of each. The results are stunning.
Gotta love that Z-8.
Grzldvt1 (03-24-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 11:04 AM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used the ZFX product on several occasions. What I found when I did use it, it did not speed up any drying time at all. Also, nor did it make any difference whether I did or did not use it when I applied second applications of Z-5 or Z-2. Did several tests to conclude my decision not to continue to use it. To me, I found it is a waste of money. I know what it states about more than one application of Z-2 or Z-5 within a 24 hour period, but I have never had a problem with applying two coats of Z-5, and then followed by one coat of Z-2, when I used Z-2 in 24-hour period. Simple enough, just follow the directions on the bottles of Z2 and Z5. You will be fine. However, I would strongly encourage to use a top coat or two with Z-CS followed by Z-8. It is important to let the Z-5 and Z-2, if used, to dry for at least 30 - 45 minutes. You will not use ZFX with Z-CS. It really takes about 30 minutes or so with or without ZFX. I have not used ZFX in years and I will put my vehicle up against anyone else that has or uses ZFX.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

My personal opinion is the ZFX didn't produce the results time between coats produced. I planned my application to include 2 days, at minimum, for Zaino Z2 or Z5 application. Plan was at least 2 coats. Always appeared "deeper" this way than ZFX accelerated application with same products, even going 3 coats.

This is very personal in opinion, as all car detail data typically is. Very few shops ever purchase the equipment that can measure gloss and such.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:33 PM
captaineddie
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

I use Z-2, Z-8 and Clear Seal. How long should I let each product dry between coats in a heated garage?
Old 03-23-2018, 11:55 AM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by captaineddie
I use Z-2, Z-8 and Clear Seal. How long should I let each product dry between coats in a heated garage?
After you have applied a coat of Z-2, without ZFX, I have allowed for 30 minutes to cure or dry. Then, I wipe off followed by wiping it down with either Z-6 or Z-8. Then, you need to apply a second coat of Z-2 and allow 30 minutes to dry and wipe off again. Again, after you wipe off the second coat of Z-2, you will wipe down with Z-6 or Z-8. Next, apply your Z-CS as your top coat, following the application directions. I, personally allow this to take up to 2 hours to dry. That might be a bit extreme, but for me, it works. After it has cured, then, wipe down with Z-8. If you want to apply an addition top coat of Z-CS, which I do, allow 2 hours to dry again, and then, wipe down with Z-8 as the last step. Man, I am telling, you will not be disappointed. Patience is the key to this process, the rewards are with it.

Last edited by c6vetteinhouston; 03-23-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:11 PM
captaineddie
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by c6vetteinhouston
After you have applied a coat of Z-2, without ZFX, I have allowed for 30 minutes to cure or dry. Then, I wipe off followed by wiping it down with either Z-6 or Z-8. Then, you need to apply a second coat of Z-2 and allow 30 minutes to dry and wipe off again. Again, after you wipe off the second coat of Z-2, you will wipe down with Z-6 or Z-8. Next, apply your Z-CS as your top coat, following the application directions. I, personally allow this to take up to 2 hours to dry. That might be a bit extreme, but for me, it works. After it has cured, then, wipe down with Z-8. If you want to apply an addition top coat of Z-CS, which I do, allow 2 hours to dry again, and then, wipe down with Z-8 as the last step. Man, I am telling, you will not be disappointed. Patience is the key to this process, the rewards are with it.
Thanks for your reply! What you suggested is pretty much what I'm doing. The car is looking really good.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:02 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Sphinx

​​​
By not using the accelerator only means you have to wait till the next day for the next coat. It was never really a necessity just a convienence

Clif
Grzldvt1 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 10:30 AM
jlbjr
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My experience has been the same as above, I do not think the accelerator does anything. When I wipe it smears just as if nothing was added. It’s awesome shine, but it takes a long time to haze in south Florida. JMO.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino Accelerator Q

Quick Reply: Zaino Accelerator Q