Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

California Duster questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 11:57 AM
Austin83
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Duster questions

Hey guys, I used a California Duster for about 10 years, but got away from it when I got rid of my black cars. I just bought a new one, and I’ve got a few questions for the seasoned California Duster users. Occasionally my hood and roof will accumulate some dew while away from the garage. Is it safe to use the duster after the dew evaporates? In the past, I was always hesitant to use it following a morning dew. How dusty is too dusty? If I was away from the garage, I would attempt to use it in the morning, afternoon, and evening to minimize excessive buildup in an effort to prevent any surface scratches. The afternoon dusting was always tricky due to heat from the sun. Any advice or input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:20 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 1,589 Posts

The key to preventing scratches is to NOT drag the California Duster across the paint. Literally, let the ends of the duster strands glide across the surface. I don't even let the weight of the duster on to the car. I just hover it across the surface. If your dew drops leave water-spotting behind, or if the car gets so dusty that you need to apply pressure to the duster to remove the dust, STOP. You are better off using a quality spray detailer and some microfiber towels instead of the duster.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:29 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...if-duster.html
Old 03-13-2018, 09:28 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
The key to preventing scratches is to NOT drag the California Duster across the paint. Literally, let the ends of the duster strands glide across the surface. I don't even let the weight of the duster on to the car. I just hover it across the surface. If your dew drops leave water-spotting behind, or if the car gets so dusty that you need to apply pressure to the duster to remove the dust, STOP. You are better off using a quality spray detailer and some microfiber towels instead of the duster.
Well said.
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (03-13-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 08:41 AM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

I use mine on my black paint. I only dust it while it has sat in the garage and very lightly glide across the paint. I never use it after the car has been driven. Only use it for dust that's accumulated while sitting in the garage.

Get notified of new replies

To California Duster questions

Quick Reply: California Duster questions