Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wheel coating, Kamikaze or Gyeon, on black matte Cup??'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 11:06 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Wheel coating, Kamikaze or Gyeon, on black matte Cup??'s

I upgraded my Z06 with the GM Cup wheels in "satin" black finish some number of years ago. The Z06 is currently up on stands, makes polishing and coatings easier sitting in my rolling garage chair, and the wheels are off. Super clean. I am concerned the finish will be altered by applying one of the coatings. Esoteric has told me the Kamikaze Stance will not alter the appearance, but for some reason, I am super hesitant on this.

Anyone with specific experience? Esoteric did not mention specific experience in their reply, although I suspect they have seen the wheels on a few occasions.

Thank you.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:21 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I ordered the Gyeon Rim and the Kamikaze Stance. I am going to try both and answer this. I am going Kamikaze Stance on the Vette's Satin black Cups and I will try the Gyeon on an Audi S6 with the 20" sport wheel. It has a matte/satin finish as well.

If anyone can offer specific experience, I am still very interested in comments.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:25 AM
Mark Ca
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I ordered the Gyeon Rim and the Kamikaze Stance. I am going to try both and answer this. I am going Kamikaze Stance on the Vette's Satin black Cups and I will try the Gyeon on an Audi S6 with the 20" sport wheel. It has a matte/satin finish as well.

If anyone can offer specific experience, I am still very interested in comments.
No experience, but looking forward to your follow up!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:18 AM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Just remember to look at from multiple angles and with different intensity of light. What I mean is not only look at in bright light from above or straight on, but in low light from off to the side or even below the coated area.

This help me to identify high spots which can IMO cause slight changes in appearance and color shading.

Also, most manufacturers will recommend you try a inconspicuous test area first. I know, hard to do on a Vette.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:36 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Well, I can say that Gyeon Tar and Iron are incredible products. My Cups are several years old now. My milage is low on them, but I drive the same filthy roads you all drive. It has been a chore to get them basically brand new in surface prep. Kamikaze Stance is my decision for the wheels on the Vette. I will proceed with initial application early next week(my schedule sucks) and plan on two coats.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:21 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Kamikaze Stance is complete on the Black Cups. The application process was done just as viewed in the Esoteric product video. I waited 15 minutes on the first wheel and nearly 20 on the second. Didn't feel or see any difference due to time. Product came off wheels nicely and I don't see any dark spots, so believe they are even. This is my first time using this product, so in no way an expert, but very happy with application.

Wheel appearance, they are the GM Matte finish, seems to be exactly as was when new comparing the first wheel completed to the others(did one first to see even after test on inner barrel). I will not comment on durability or cleanability at this time, as the Corvette is still a garage queen for other detailing/coating issues and needs. Also did the caliper fronts. Did not trust I had the backside of calipers clean enough and didn't want to take them off.

I will update or get a new image host in the coming weeks and update thread with pictures. Not really a big deal, as all you need to imagine is a really clean set of Cups. That is how they look.

Last edited by WhiteDiamond; 04-03-2018 at 10:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BudgetPlan1 (04-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel coating, Kamikaze or Gyeon, on black matte Cup??'s

Quick Reply: Wheel coating, Kamikaze or Gyeon, on black matte Cup??'s