Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wheel barrel cleaning, heavy duty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:17 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Wheel barrel cleaning, heavy duty?

My recent clean on my Vette's Cups revealed that even my lightly driven wheels have substantial tar(or tar like) build up in clumps. I used to tar remover products on my wheels, one big name and other from a local store, and found very little in difference between the two. Used various cleaners from hardware store to same result. WD 40 seemed to have greatest effect on releasing this stuff, but worried about finish. WD40 followed with soap/water immediately didn't seem to affect the finish, but time will tell.

Best method seemed to be mechanically cut the tar like stuff down then tackle thin layer of residue with WD40 -- soap/water.

Anyone have a product recommendation here? My daily driver wheels are next, and they have a lot more build up in those barrels on inspection. I have always just used the wheel brushes and soap/water to wash the barrels.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:38 PM
hb4lthr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
My recent clean on my Vette's Cups revealed that even my lightly driven wheels have substantial tar(or tar like) build up in clumps. I used to tar remover products on my wheels, one big name and other from a local store, and found very little in difference between the two. Used various cleaners from hardware store to same result. WD 40 seemed to have greatest effect on releasing this stuff, but worried about finish. WD40 followed with soap/water immediately didn't seem to affect the finish, but time will tell.

Best method seemed to be mechanically cut the tar like stuff down then tackle thin layer of residue with WD40 -- soap/water.

Anyone have a product recommendation here? My daily driver wheels are next, and they have a lot more build up in those barrels on inspection. I have always just used the wheel brushes and soap/water to wash the barrels.
If I am washing the car only and don't plan to wax it, I use the same soap on the wheels as I do on the body of the car. If I plan on waxing the car, then I will use Sonax Full Effects wheel cleaner. This is the stuff that goes on green then turns reds. I also use a Daytona wheel brush and will wax my wheels after using Sonax
Old 04-08-2018, 01:09 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Sorry I did not see this post sooner. Depending on what condition the wheel barrels are in I would start with removing them and washing the wheels with Dawn, then using WD-40 to dissolve the tar. After the tar and dirt are gone give the wheels a good washing with Dawn to remove all the remaining residue from the tar and WD-40. After you are satisfied with the outcome, wax the entire wheel with your favorite product. there are actually "Wheel Wax" products you car get. Autogeek has several different product to choose from. Once you start maintaining the wheels they will be easier to keep that way. You may want to consider changing the brake pads to a low dusting ceramic to cut down on the brake dust.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:01 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
I would start with removing them and washing the wheels with Dawn, then using WD-40 to dissolve the tar.
Interesting. I have 2 dedicated tar removal products for autos and neither did the trick. I found the WD-40 did the trick, as you state. Gave them an additional wash after and coated them. Will look into the "wheel wax" as you mention. Maybe a good sacrificial layer....
The following users liked this post:
cmonkey713 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 02:24 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
Interesting. I have 2 dedicated tar removal products for autos and neither did the trick. I found the WD-40 did the trick, as you state. Gave them an additional wash after and coated them. Will look into the "wheel wax" as you mention. Maybe a good sacrificial layer....
Completely removing and cleaning the wheels and then applying a ceramic coating will make life WAY easier for cleaning and will last far beyond any wheel wax.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:38 AM
tony abbski
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Completely removing and cleaning the wheels and then applying a ceramic coating will make life WAY easier for cleaning and will last far beyond any wheel wax.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:44 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Agreed. They, my wheels, are coated and I am looking into the wheel wax in terms of removability, as it may turn out to be a good sacrificial layer to give the coating under it a longer life. No matter what, the metallic and such involved with braking are going to wreck havoc on any surface a wheel has.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:05 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Not sure about your cup wheels. My wheels are chrome, so are the barrels. I use a little gasoline on a rag to remove the tar spots in the barrels. Then a good coat of wax. 5+ years and no problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel barrel cleaning, heavy duty?

Quick Reply: Wheel barrel cleaning, heavy duty?