Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Problem with 303 Leather product?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Problem with 303 Leather product?

It was recommended to me so I bought & used it on the leather interior (3lz) of a new to me 2013 c6 z06.

The car had a nice leather smell when I got it (only 8k miles).

The 303 seemed to go on & work ok BUT it killed every bit of the leather smell. Gone. Chit.

Must have sealed the leather pores? Anyone heard of this? Any way to get my nice leather smell back?

Thanks. I am not much of a "waxer" but when I get a new one I like to clean it up nice to start anyway.

Last edited by froggy47; 04-25-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:01 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

It will change the smell for sure it doesn't hurt anything it's just different. What you could do is remove it with a very light mix of Dawn and water. just a drop of dawn in about a quart of water will do it. Use a micro-fiber towel to wash and another towel with clean distilled water for the final wipe down. You will need to "polish" in a circular motion after it is dry to bring back the sheen. No guarantee the original smell will return.

Corvette interiors are synthetic leather like material, not actual leather. what you smell is the chemicals "Gassing"out of the material.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:43 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
It will change the smell for sure it doesn't hurt anything it's just different. What you could do is remove it with a very light mix of Dawn and water. just a drop of dawn in about a quart of water will do it. Use a micro-fiber towel to wash and another towel with clean distilled water for the final wipe down. You will need to "polish" in a circular motion after it is dry to bring back the sheen. No guarantee the original smell will return.

Corvette interiors are synthetic leather like material, not actual leather. what you smell is the chemicals "Gassing"out of the material.
The "leather" is actually real leather that has been heavily processed. The cow would not recognize it anymore, but it is real on the higher optioned cars (for example think of your steering wheel, it is real leather). I am not claiming the whole interior is leather, mostly dash & tops of door, console, arm rests, seating SURFACES (unless you get the "alcantera" inserts).

Last edited by froggy47; 04-26-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:16 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
The "leather" is actually real leather that has been heavily processed. The cow would not recognize it anymore, but it is real on the higher optioned cars (for example think of your steering wheel, it is real leather). I am not claiming the whole interior is leather, mostly dash & tops of door, console, arm rests, seating SURFACES (unless you get the "alcantera" inserts).

Highly processed leather, is still a leather based material but nothing like the leather used in very upscale automobiles.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:23 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Highly processed leather, is still a leather based material but nothing like the leather used in very upscale automobiles.
Correct.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with 303 Leather product?

Quick Reply: Problem with 303 Leather product?