Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Is ceramic coating worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 10:00 PM
Brolicteddy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is ceramic coating worth it?

I'm thinking of taking my C6 to get ceramic coated. It's more on expensive side the 2 places I called I got quotes for 1200-2000 depending on what I want. Does it really protect the car like they say? For the same amount I can get the car wrapped.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:04 AM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Coating for $2K !!!

Wow, you could get the whole front end and more wrapped with PPF that is self healing and have actual real protection from rock chips and such....

Coating won't protect from rock chips and the coating itself will swirl and scratch so....
Old 04-28-2018, 01:56 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

I am with Joshvette, the front end in PPF, is the ticket, the rest of the car in Ceramic is awesome. As a pro detailer that has dealt with both, You cannot beat PPF for the bumper, hood and mirrors. Ceramics(aka the well know names, Ceramic Pro. Kamikaze and Feynlabs) and PPF it is the way to go on the rest of the car
Old 05-06-2018, 10:51 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

yes it is - I did it myself (have done a dozen cars for family and friends) the kit is about $200

and take you time - prep work is the hard part -
Old 05-07-2018, 12:47 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I just finished 2 of my vehicles in the Kamikaze product. One of them is a daily driver and the other is my Z06: rarely driven. I was looking for something to provide the finish, the look, and the protection and switched from another well known product on this forum. I only have 1 month on the coatings, but the look and finish is incredible. Very happy to have a product, Kamikaze ISM, that also protects the textured black plastic so many vehicles have nowdays. No report on longevity, yet, but the DD took a 1500 mile round trip with heavy bug hits on front and it came right off. The little dirt that was able to stick to it also washed off easy. Good start.

Oh, I was quoted over 2K for both the vehicles I did myself: each!!! I know there is a difference between pro and home user in the products, but I was able to add some new products to my home detailing cabinet AND coat 2 vehicles for less than the shop would have.

Take your time. Prep is everything. Was ABSOLUTELY worth it, so far.

Last edited by WhiteDiamond; 05-07-2018 at 12:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteDiamond:
BudgetPlan1 (05-07-2018), Grzldvt1 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 04:35 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I just finished 2 of my vehicles in the Kamikaze product. One of them is a daily driver and the other is my Z06: rarely driven. I was looking for something to provide the finish, the look, and the protection and switched from another well known product on this forum. I only have 1 month on the coatings, but the look and finish is incredible. Very happy to have a product, Kamikaze ISM, that also protects the textured black plastic so many vehicles have nowdays. No report on longevity, yet, but the DD took a 1500 mile round trip with heavy bug hits on front and it came right off. The little dirt that was able to stick to it also washed off easy. Good start.

Oh, I was quoted over 2K for both the vehicles I did myself: each!!! I know there is a difference between pro and home user in the products, but I was able to add some new products to my home detailing cabinet AND coat 2 vehicles for less than the shop would have.

Take your time. Prep is everything. Was ABSOLUTELY worth it, so far.
Excellent choice I have used both Miyabi and ISM and prefer ISM
Old 05-07-2018, 01:34 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

I have a question concerning the ceramic coatings. If after applying the ceramic and later the surface begins to show some lite swirling and holograms can you re apply the ceramic coating to eliminate the imperfections? It would be a shame to strip everything start the process all over again. Would a clear wrap with self healing be a better choice for a weekend driver?
Old 05-07-2018, 04:55 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
I have a question concerning the ceramic coatings. If after applying the ceramic and later the surface begins to show some lite swirling and holograms can you re apply the ceramic coating to eliminate the imperfections? It would be a shame to strip everything start the process all over again. Would a clear wrap with self healing be a better choice for a weekend driver?
Nope

Needs to be polished and coated or coating glaze applied.
The following users liked this post:
cmonkey713 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 03:43 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

If it is a quality coating, and my preferences are Feynlabs product, Kamikaze and Ceramic Pro, or Gyeon, you should not get any swirls/holograms at all.

I have all the products on a car, that I buffed to a pristine state. Not a swirl mark or scratch on it 6 months later and I have washed it at least 20 times since the application as a test.
It is still as stunning as the day I installed the products.
I have had customers get keyed, and that takes a light buffing with a very light compound. I will then recoat the surface I buffed.
The following users liked this post:
cmonkey713 (05-09-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 09:59 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

wife's daily driver - black - when new put Kamikaze on it - wash every week, leaf blower to dry, and then quick detail - still no swirl marks

but I did re-coat it after two years

will do it again - every two years - keeps it easy to clean
Old 05-10-2018, 03:14 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

What is PPF?
Old 05-10-2018, 07:52 PM
Joe C5 C2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
What is PPF?
"Paint Protection Film" like Xpel.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Donald P.
Cruising

Default It Must be completely removed

This came from not being properly prepared for the coating. It must be removed by a professionally approved ceranic detailer. If you are in Mi let me know. There is a 'way' to properly prepare a Corvette for a ceramic coating. My prep time is at least 10 hours.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:58 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Donald P.
This came from not being properly prepared for the coating. It must be removed by a professionally approved ceranic detailer. If you are in Mi let me know. There is a 'way' to properly prepare a Corvette for a ceramic coating. My prep time is at least 10 hours.
I know I'm gonna hate myself for this......

But there is a "way" to properly prep a vette for coating ?!?!?!?!?!

Please please please describe.....
Old 05-13-2018, 04:12 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ronkh57
I know I'm gonna hate myself for this......

But there is a "way" to properly prep a vette for coating ?!?!?!?!?!

Please please please describe.....
I am a bit baffled by the comment about proper preparation prevents marring and micro scratches, since these are surface issues versus bonding issues. In my experience marring and micro scratches come from a lower end product that allows the surface to be scratched.
Proper prep, is the following at my shop:
Washing and Claying the finish.
Paint correction - removing the swirls and scratches on the paint surface. In my shop it ranges from 3 hours to 48 hours depending on how bad the paint is. You do not want to lock in scratches and swirls under a coating. I will always request to see the car before I do any estimate. As I have seen on this forum, I have been told "My Black car has no swirls or scratches" only to find it is a total mess.
Then you have to clean the surface oils and dust using a surface prep product.
Once that is done you are ready to apply.

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 05-13-2018 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:52 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
I am a bit baffled by the comment about proper preparation prevents marring and micro scratches, since these are surface issues versus bonding issues. In my experience marring and micro scratches come from a lower end product that allows the surface to be scratched.
Proper prep, is the following at my shop:
Washing and Claying the finish.
Paint correction - removing the swirls and scratches on the paint surface. In my shop it ranges from 3 hours to 48 hours depending on how bad the paint is. You do not want to lock in scratches and swirls under a coating. I will always request to see the car before I do any estimate. As I have seen on this forum, I have been told "My Black car has no swirls or scratches" only to find it is a total mess.
Then you have to clean the surface oils and dust using a surface prep product.
Once that is done you are ready to apply.
Yep.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:42 AM
keith568
Intermediate

I'm also going to have my car ceramic coated next weekend. My neighbor has his Maserati done from this auto detailer and it looks like glass. different packages, different pricing. PFF is or can be pretty expensive, another neighbor has a 2017 and had the car paint corrected first, then the film put on most of the car, $4000! I'm going to get this "silver" package which supposedly last for 5 years, but they also charge for "paint correction" to remove swirl marks and light scratches first. The paint correction is $350, the ceramic coating is $595.

Get notified of new replies

To Is ceramic coating worth it?

Old 05-18-2018, 10:02 PM
HOCKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I am ordering my car than on delivery day I am taking for ceramic coating for $1,500 on my Z06 Coupe. Does not seem like the going price. I have no idea and never done..thanks
Old 05-18-2018, 11:35 PM
Brolicteddy
Heel & Toe

A local shop is running a special till June 5th 1 step paint correction, gyeon can coat ceramic coating, light interior detailing for 350. He said he can do 2 coats of the gyeon for an extra 50.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:21 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Brolicteddy
A local shop is running a special till June 5th 1 step paint correction, gyeon can coat ceramic coating, light interior detailing for 350. He said he can do 2 coats of the gyeon for an extra 50.
Given the 1 step correction and interior detailing, kinda not a bad deal if done correctly. CanCoat is kinda a 'coating lite' product, sitting between a spray ceramic sealant (i.e. Carpro Reload) and a full-on ceramic coating (Gyeon Mohs). It's a very nice product, easily applied, great candy-gloss and nice self cleaning/water behavior characteristics. It's neat stuff, generally around 6 months longevity with decent maintenance/washing routine, climate and mileage dependant of course. Did hear one account of it performing well for a year by using Gyeon Bathe+ as a shampoo.

Another plus is the easy application so you can pick up a can for around $45 and refresh as you like. Vid below shows application ease, plenty more on YouTube

CanCoat:

CanCoat:

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 05-19-2018 at 09:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
Carvin (05-19-2018), ronkh57 (05-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Is ceramic coating worth it?