Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Products that "wow" you

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 11:40 AM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Griot's Liquid Polymer Wax

I've used Griot's product for nearly 20 years now, I've always liked their products. I've had the Best of Show wax in both the liquid form and the paste form, and they were both fantastic.

For a long, LONG time Richard Griot has always been against synthetic polymer type waxes and sung the praises of natural carnauba as the BEST protection paint can have, and for 10 years ago I would agree. I've used SOME synthetic products and they're easy to apply, but they don't achieve the same shine as layered carnauba.

So it was a big surprise when Griot came out with a liquid poly wax.

I would have been happy if this product provided similar shine to Best of Show wax but easier to apply. I was floored by the amount of shine, ease of use, and length of protection. This is a SUPERB product that will replace the Best of Show carnauba product for me. It provided a shine that surpasses the Best of Show wax on top of a glazed paint, and 6+ month protection on a car that's parked outside all the time (in fact it's 7 month now and it's about 60% as shine-y as when first applied). The results on darker cars is just amazing.

Hard to show effect on a lighter color car, but the shine and protection is fantastic for how easy it is to apply.

The following users liked this post:
myredhead1 (07-13-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 05:24 AM
RedC6
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcypress
tried the kenotek this morning it is easy to apply and shiny . think if you get streaks you are probably using a little to much product . i also like the z8 but think the kenotek is a little less costly . i'll get back to you on the ''dust discussion '' in a few days . . peace
So how does the Kenotek compare to the Z8 looks wise? I've been using Zaino for a long time but it seems like many products have caught up or surpassed them in a lot of things.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:52 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RedC6
So how does the Kenotek compare to the Z8 looks wise? I've been using Zaino for a long time but it seems like many products have caught up or surpassed them in a lot of things.
From an appearance standpoint, they are pretty close. The Kenotek buffs off more easily and leaves the finish a bit more slippery feeling than the Z8. There are many great products out there. Zaino Clear Sealant is still one of them in my opinion. Z8 is still an excellent product.
The following 4 users liked this post by capevettes:
got2hav1 (04-19-2019), myredhead1 (07-18-2018), RedC6 (06-30-2018), Street Rat (06-30-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 04:36 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Products that wow me? Hmm, IGL F1 Compound and F3 Finish with a rotary and 3M Wool pad. That corrects paint like crazy, speed buffing works like a charm! Finish down with F1/F3 on an IGL Yellow pad works great or even F3 Finish on a Yellow pad to finish. Then IGL Kenzo is amazing as a Ceramic Coating!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-detailer.html
myredhead1 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 01:54 PM
SoFloVette
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

I've been using Pinnacle for years. Fantastic paste wax. Especially on black cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by SoFloVette:
FYRARMS (07-05-2018), myredhead1 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 11:52 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Tried out Mckees window treatment. Have to see how it goes.
myredhead1 (07-18-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 01:17 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. It was recommended in another forum, and I can't find the post to thank the person.
The chrome wheels on my C6 had some dirt/rust issues in the nooks and crannies, and I think I tried five or six different products that didn't work. The Turtle Wax is inexpensive, easy to find, and worked like a dream. Easy to apply, easy to remove. I think I could apply makeup with the reflection, if I felt like laying on the pavement.
myredhead1 (07-13-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:10 PM
EASonBASS
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by the kid C6
Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. It was recommended in another forum, and I can't find the post to thank the person.
The chrome wheels on my C6 had some dirt/rust issues in the nooks and crannies, and I think I tried five or six different products that didn't work. The Turtle Wax is inexpensive, easy to find, and worked like a dream. Easy to apply, easy to remove. I think I could apply makeup with the reflection, if I felt like laying on the pavement.
Agree! I hit the exhaust tips with this and they stay nice 'n shiny. Don't wear makeup so that aspect never really crossed my mind though.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:11 PM
EASonBASS
Burning Brakes

Okay, ya'll convinced me to give the Kenotek a shot. Impressed with the results. Nice big bottle too!

So, thanks for that.
The following 4 users liked this post by EASonBASS:
capevettes (08-02-2018), FYRARMS (08-01-2018), myredhead1 (08-04-2018), ronkh57 (08-29-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 02:29 PM
CorvetteGurl
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations! Can you all weigh in on what type of cloths you use to wash, wax, dry, etc? I'm so paranoid about little flecks of scratchy stuff.....do microfiber cloths really have little shards of stuff in them

What about using a water blade type thing before you completely dry??

Got my new "gurl" Saturday - wanna treat her good like all girls wanna be treated
Old 08-15-2018, 03:50 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,230 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteGurl
Can you all weigh in on what type of cloths you use to wash, wax, dry, etc?
As far as vendors are concerned, I only buy from TowelPros, The Rag Company, and Griot's Garage.

For washing, I use a microfiber wash mitt.
For drying, I use a leaf blower on the Z06. I use waffle-weave "Guzzler" drying towels from Cobra on my daily driver.
For glaze, sealant, and wax removal, I use shorter nap towels in the 380-450gsm range.
For detail spray and spray wax application, I use longer nap towels in the 500-800gsm range

Stay FAR away from them.
CorvetteGurl (08-27-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 06:28 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteGurl
Thanks for the recommendations! Can you all weigh in on what type of cloths you use to wash, wax, dry, etc? I'm so paranoid about little flecks of scratchy stuff.....do microfiber cloths really have little shards of stuff in them

Got my new "gurl" Saturday - wanna treat her good like all girls wanna be treated
Research info here.

https://www.theragcompany.com/what-is-microfiber/

https://www.theragcompany.com/the-ra...ny-difference/

https://www.theragcompany.com/use-and-care-tips/
CorvetteGurl (08-27-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 03:26 PM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been buying Griots products of late and so far I like everything they offer. Their Speed Shine Detailer is the best I've used. Their interior detailer as well. I look forward to using more of their stuff as it seems to be available over the counter now.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:18 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

I was warned against the silicone water blades, as well. They can pick up tiny bits and then you drag the tiny bits across your car. Voila! Lots of tiny scratches.
I use a waffle cloth to dry -- invest in a good one, it makes a difference. The cheap ones don't work very well.
I use microfiber cloths, and I sort of migrate their uses because no matter how carefully I wash them, they aren't as soft. New and soft on the car, after washing they end up on wheels, then tires, then trash.

A tip I learned today regarding tire shine that I'll share -- apply with a paint brush (to avoid overspray on wheels) (which I've done for a couple of years anyway), let it set a bit, then wipe off the excess with a cloth to prevent "slinging."
Old 09-12-2018, 02:31 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by the kid C6
I use a waffle cloth to dry -- invest in a good one, it makes a difference. The cheap ones don't work very well.
So true. I have been using the Cobra "Guzzler" waffle-weave towels. Not on my Z06, but on my daily sedan. Literally, I can dry off the entire car without wringing out the towel. It amazes me how much water these things can hold.

A tip I learned today regarding tire shine that I'll share -- apply with a paint brush (to avoid overspray on wheels) (which I've done for a couple of years anyway), let it set a bit, then wipe off the excess with a cloth to prevent "slinging."
The brush technique just didn't work for me. I always got product on my wheels, even when being careful and using a gel or cream type of product. I have settled on using tire-specific sponge applicators. They seem to hold more product without dripping, and are curved to match sidewalls. The yellow part is solid and the product will not penetrate and get on your hands. Highly recommended.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:52 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

So, I wanted to try some new product combos out for the 2 shows I entered this past weekend. I washed my car using Adam's Strip Wash soap, then wiped it down with Chemical Guys "Clean Slate". Gave the whole car a quick polish with Buff & Shine blue foam light polishing pads and Poorboy's World "Professional Polish", which is pad-dependent. That pretty much cleaned off my old sealant and wax. Applied a coat of Poorboy's World "Black Hole" glaze with red finishing pads, then hand-applied a nice thin coat of Griot's Garage "Best of Show" paste wax. I reeeally like this wax. The smell is addictive. Like if you melted a vanilla candle with a cinnamon candle, then added a dash of chocolate. It spread nice and thin and melted quickly. Came off easily with almost no dusting. It definitely added some depth to the paint. The metallic in the Electron Blue seemed to pop more in the sun. Kept the car dust-free at the shows using Griot's "Best of Show" detail spray. Anyway, the wax is way too good to pass up at the price point. $25 for a big tin that you can fit a foam applicator in (and Griot's includes one), and I used a 25% off discount code for an even better steal. If you like wax, give this a try. My daily driver is pearl white, and is currently coated with a good synthetic sealant. I am going to throw a coat of the Griot's on top of it and see if it changes the look of the paint. Might really bring out the pearl...

myredhead1 (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 11:54 PM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Adams Brilliant Glaze is amazing ! However, with the Daytona Sunset Orange Vette being metallic I no longer use the glaze. On the other cars the Adams Glaze is an absolute must. On the prior black Vette the glaze not only had the "WOW" factor but filled in swirl marks in the black Vette !!!.
FYRARMS (09-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Products that "wow" you

Old 09-13-2018, 12:44 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by xlr8rvette
Adams Brilliant Glaze is amazing ! However, with the Daytona Sunset Orange Vette being metallic I no longer use the glaze
I love Brilliant Glaze on my metallic blue paint. It doesn't fill as well as thicker glazes (I normally use Poorboy's World "Black Hole" and Chemical Guys "Wet Mirror Finish"), but it sure does a great job of making the paint look awesome under a sealant and wax. It is what I use when I want to throw down glaze in a hurry. It is so thin that I actually swapped the dispenser cap for a spray head. I just spritz each panel with a couple mists of Brilliant Glaze, then I put a 6.5" black finishing pad on my Nanoskin hand strap and spread it all out. I can actually glaze my whole car faster than if I used my Porter Cable. LOL

Last edited by FYRARMS; 09-13-2018 at 12:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FYRARMS:
Adam's Polish (02-21-2019), EASonBASS (09-14-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 09:42 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

McKee's Hydro Blue SIO2 coating spray. I got it for my DD Lincoln and my wife's Explorer. Super easy to use, nice shine, and water beads like crazy. It seems to last several months. I now use it on the 'Vette from time to time for a little more pop in the shine.
myredhead1 (09-13-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 11:49 PM
EASonBASS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
I love Brilliant Glaze on my metallic blue paint. It doesn't fill as well as thicker glazes (I normally use Poorboy's World "Black Hole" and Chemical Guys "Wet Mirror Finish"), but it sure does a great job of making the paint look awesome under a sealant and wax. It is what I use when I want to throw down glaze in a hurry. It is so thin that I actually swapped the dispenser cap for a spray head. I just spritz each panel with a couple mists of Brilliant Glaze, then I put a 6.5" black finishing pad on my Nanoskin hand strap and spread it all out. I can actually glaze my whole car faster than if I used my Porter Cable. LOL

Brilliant idea; the adding the sprayer.

Quick Reply: Products that "wow" you