Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

C5 50 Anniversary Cleaning Wheelx

Old 06-06-2018, 08:20 PM
HeyVern
Racer

Location: Grace Valley: A small, peaceful & beautiful valley in the Volunteer State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C5 50 Anniversary Cleaning Wheelx

My tENNESSEE license plate # is XXXXXTH (i thought 50TH was not inspiring). When I bought my "Annie" I had been running some very expensive California Chrome Wheels on a 2009 C5 (a gift from my fiancee, who had been driving Vettes since she was 18 and absolutely loved bling on anything...cars, purses, cell phone covers, shoes, and the list goes on---you get the idea) neither of us were impressed with the ""golden???" wheels on Annie. So I put some made in China chrome wheels on the '99 and they looked OK, kept the OEM wheels in storage and have been running the California specials for 14 years and ~100K miles. But they developed some corrosion on the inside and could not keep good pressure. The guys at Franklin Tire Rack applied several fixes (grinidng on the inside of the wheel) and it worked for a while, but... the time had come to move on. ) I figured it was time to put the OEMs back on. All I caa say is... NO, I better not,

Finally comes the question to this long sad story, the OEM wheels seem to have a "coating" for want of a better word. The brake dust, pollen, tobacco juice from passing cars woohoo:. Have left the wheels looking like they were made in a Siberian Gulag.

Here's the QUESTION: IS THERE ANYTHING SPECIAL I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CLEANING THE 50TH WHEELS? OR EVEN BETTER TO MAKE MY BRIDE OF 17 YEARS HAPPY, HOW TO MAKE THEM "BLING"

Last edited by HeyVern; 06-06-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:01 AM
Trigger Creep
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The 50th Ann. Edition wheels are painted aluminum. Warm Nickel Metallic and clearcoat. Any parts store cleaner can be used.

Last edited by Trigger Creep; 06-16-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:46 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

....a 2009 c5...?
Old 06-18-2018, 10:10 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by Trigger Creep
The 50th Ann. Edition wheels are painted aluminum. Warm Nickel Metallic and clearcoat. Any parts store cleaner can be used.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 50 Anniversary Cleaning Wheelx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 50 Anniversary Cleaning Wheelx