Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

C5 very rough paint. What correction to use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Sub8
Pro

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts

Default C5 very rough paint. What correction to use?

Hi guys. I have a track c5 Z06 black paint. Very rough. Lots of deep scratches all over.

I have some basic detailing experience - what will get me the best results. I had read that the body / paint is very 'hard' on these cars and as such needs a more heavy duty pad / compound. Is that true?

Will a good DA be sufficient? I'm a little reluctant to go rotary for fear of damaging the paint. Also my other cars wouldn't need a rotary. So a bit of a one use purchase.

Any advice welcome. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Unless you know how to use a rotary, don’t. If you don’t know what you are doing you can end up burning the paint. My DA (Flex 3401vrg) worked just fine on my corvette. When detailing, you always want to start with the “least aggressive” method first. If you find that didn’t give you the results you are looking for, step up to next level. There are tons of pads and polishes out there with varying degrees of “cutting”. I am sure you can find a combo that will work for your car well before needing to step up to a rotary buffer.

A popular option that many people (even pro detailers) use is the Porter Cable 7424 XP. For product, check out Meguiar's M105 and M205. They work great and can usually find them in most automotive stores.

With my Flex I have 3 pads; light, medium, and heavy cut with corresponding polishes. To take care of my 2013 GS (also black) I only need the first 2 (light and medium). I was very happy with the results.

The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 12:45 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 1,589 Posts

If you only have access to store-bought compounds and polishes, the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish are a good combo that don't dust that much. Scott at Dallas Paint Correction has featured them in a couple of his videos. A good polisher like the Porter Cable, Flex, or Griot's and some orange cutting pads and white polishing pads should tackle most of your scratches and swirls. Soooo many products and pads to choose from. It can make your head hurt. Everyone likes different stuff, and every car has different needs. Like mentioned, try the least aggressive method first.

I know Griot's is starting to show up in retail stores. Their Correcting and Polishing creams are really nice, and would be a step up from the Meguiar's.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:39 AM
Sub8
Pro

Hi - All good comments. It was more weather the glass fiber body and hence paint type on our cars really is `harder` than normal metal bodied cars.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:29 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub8
Hi - All good comments. It was more weather the glass fiber body and hence paint type on our cars really is `harder` than normal metal bodied cars.
Most people will say that the clearcoat on Corvettes and some other GM vehicles is "harder" than that of other makes. A few others say it isn't any different. Personally, I don't have any experience doing heavy correction on Corvettes, as my paint was in great shape when I bought the car. But, I was able to easily remove minor swirls and scuffs and get the paint almost perfect using the same products and methods that I have used on other vehicles.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:13 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

If you need "Heavy correction" I would not attempt it yourself due to the skill need. The paint may be good enough for rotary or dual action buffer to fix. If not it may need to be color sanded and buffed providing the clear coat is thick enough. A shop with an electronic paint thickness gage can determine how much clear coat is remaining on the car. The only way to determine what it actually needs is have an experienced high end detailer look at it and give you a recommendation.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:56 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

C5 clear is pretty hard, I always start our Swirl Killer 15mm. with MF pad & our Heavy Correcting Compound. Then step down to Orange pad & Correcting Polish, It takes some time but you can correct it. As far as the deeper scratches if your finger nail doesn't catch in them they will come out. Also do a 2 x 2 test spot first so you will know what it will take to correct your paint.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...olish-kit.html
Old 06-12-2018, 04:39 AM
Sub8
Pro

All good stuff - many thanks.

I will stick with my DA rather than risking a rotary.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 very rough paint. What correction to use?

Quick Reply: C5 very rough paint. What correction to use?