Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

2002 c5 full of crazing and micro scratches

Old 06-26-2018, 08:52 AM
danny99
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2002 c5 full of crazing and micro scratches

If I tilt my head a certain angle to the paint's surface on a super sunny day, it's filled with crazing/swirls and micro scratches. Is this normal to have? You can't see them a foot away from the car, you have to get REALLY close with your eye to the paint.

I am not sure how it got this way, maybe from a car cover or from me using microfiber towels ...I wash the car myself. Never been to a car wash.

Is there any hope to fix this? I was thinking to take it to a professional shop here that details exotic Ferrari's and Lamborghini's, supposedly they have paint correction. I do not want to try to fix it myself with an orbitor, as I'm not experienced at all.

Last edited by danny99; 06-26-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:23 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,237 Likes on 908 Posts

Should be a reasonably easy fix. There are hundreds of posts here on polishing to remove surface paint defects. If you don't have the equipment and or knowledge to DYI then your best bet is to take it to a good professional detailer. Cost depends on the condition of the paint and any repair that needs to be done. Usually you are looking at about $500 more or less.
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 02:51 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by danny99
If I tilt my head a certain angle to the paint's surface on a super sunny day, it's filled with crazing/swirls and micro scratches. Is this normal to have? You can't see them a foot away from the car, you have to get REALLY close with your eye to the paint.

I am not sure how it got this way, maybe from a car cover or from me using microfiber towels ...I wash the car myself. Never been to a car wash.

Is there any hope to fix this? I was thinking to take it to a professional shop here that details exotic Ferrari's and Lamborghini's, supposedly they have paint correction. I do not want to try to fix it myself with an orbitor, as I'm not experienced at all.
Grab a DA and some polish like M205 from Walmart and go to town! Well, watch some polishing YouTube videos first if you plan to do it yourself. Using a DA is pretty safe. I have buddy up your way in CO that is a fellow IGL Installer that can do the paint correction for you if you plan to have a shop do it. PM me if interested.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:18 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

All paint will end up with scratches & swirls from improper washing and drying and not using quality MF towels and wash mitts.
It's best if you do a two bucket wash to help prevent swirls.
However the good news is they will come out and it's not that hard, I have included a video of our polishing in action.
Let me know if you have any questions after watching.
Thanks!

Last edited by Adam's Polish; 06-26-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2002 c5 full of crazing and micro scratches

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 c5 full of crazing and micro scratches