Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Meguiars 105 and their MF cutting pad

Old 06-20-2018, 02:16 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Meguiars 105 and their MF cutting pad

Just wanted to share my experience with these 2 products even with the other reviews in here.

I am only an enthusiast detailer at this point in my life. I have a ton of detailing equipment from my more active days and I have even added some stuff over the years.

If you have seen my few recent posts in this forum, you may know I am stepping all my cars over to Kamikaze coatings, leaving my Zaino days behind. I need more longevity.

My wife and I purchased a CPO German performance sedan with low milage and full dealership maint history. Was in great shape, except the owners must have hit every auto wash in town and let the dealer wash after every service(actually they did, dealer has records of it.... ). For just shy of 2 years old, this vehicle had a lot of heavy marring and marks into the clear that gave me pause.

Tried a few compounds I have on aggressive foam pads, no luck
Already tried the Meguiars 105, but now I brought out my Flex 3401 and the Meguiars MF cutting pads. One pass!!!!!! Amazing what these pads can do. Those kind of marks used to be rotary compounding only back in the days I got into detailing. What is most amazing to me is the finish out. I am a bit sarcastic of people's ideas of detailed/clean cars, so I say this with the 90% in mind: The finish out with just the MF pad would pass as perfect to most. Never saw that with a rotary and cutting compound.
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (06-21-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 04:01 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Good stuff. Any before and after pics?

Also, just FYI. The Flex 3401 is not a "rotary" it is a "Dual Action Orbital Polisher".
Old 06-21-2018, 02:31 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Excellent Review. Finish it off with 205 and a foam polishing pad, and you will take the paint to a new level. The Meguiars MF Pad, of which I am a huge fan(we have 15 of them in my shop) and will use 4-5 per car, as they do get loaded up.
But they do leave behind almost microscopic scratches. Finishing up with a Foam Polishing pad and 205 will make a noticeable difference as the foam pad will remove those microscopic scratches.. I prefer the Rupes Yellow or White Pads.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grzldvt1:
FYRARMS (06-21-2018), WhiteDiamond (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:30 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Good stuff. Any before and after pics?

Also, just FYI. The Flex 3401 is not a "rotary" it is a "Dual Action Orbital Polisher".
I know. I have been detailing for a long time and I was trying to imply that the MF pads + Meg's 105 + Flex 3401 DA does the work a rotary was needed for long ago.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:32 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Excellent Review. Finish it off with 205 and a foam polishing pad, and you will take the paint to a new level. The Meguiars MF Pad, of which I am a huge fan(we have 15 of them in my shop) and will use 4-5 per car, as they do get loaded up.
But they do leave behind almost microscopic scratches. Finishing up with a Foam Polishing pad and 205 will make a noticeable difference as the foam pad will remove those microscopic scratches.. I prefer the Rupes Yellow or White Pads.
Yep, saw some very fine micro scratches or marring after the MF pads. Used Sonax Perfect finish on with a white Rupes pad on a variety of Rupes polishers. Nice, slow linear speed with DA set to about speed 4 and the surface came out incredible!! Very happy!
The following users liked this post:
Grzldvt1 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 11:39 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,095 Likes on 807 Posts

Thanks, I have some of those pads I got years ago and will give it a go with the 105. I have been using Yellow pads and then 205 with White pads. I like Wolfgang 3.0 Sealer and then Wolfgang Fusion wax on Cyber Gray.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:50 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Just used the same Meguiars 105 and MF pads to removed 2 layers of Myabi and 1 layer of ISM coating on my Vette's hood. I found that the two "artifacts" I was seeing in the hood were in fact the coating not properly removed..........yep, my bad. Anyway, the combo took the Kamikaze off with some effort, but it did it. I did 1/2 the hood first to see and what a difference. The Kamikaze coating combo gave the still coated portion a very deep, very reflective, almost wet, look compared to the side I removed the coating from. Kinda hard to see how the Kamikaze is enhancing the look, since it is done in stages, but side by side coated-uncoated was really revealing.

Sorry, no pictures. I tried. Don't have a proper camera set up for this. Thinking it requires some sort of hood to prevent unwanted light and reflections in the image......Oh well.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:48 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
Just wanted to share my experience with these 2 products even with the other reviews in here.

I am only an enthusiast detailer at this point in my life. I have a ton of detailing equipment from my more active days and I have even added some stuff over the years.

If you have seen my few recent posts in this forum, you may know I am stepping all my cars over to Kamikaze coatings, leaving my Zaino days behind. I need more longevity.

My wife and I purchased a CPO German performance sedan with low milage and full dealership maint history. Was in great shape, except the owners must have hit every auto wash in town and let the dealer wash after every service(actually they did, dealer has records of it.... ). For just shy of 2 years old, this vehicle had a lot of heavy marring and marks into the clear that gave me pause.

Tried a few compounds I have on aggressive foam pads, no luck
Already tried the Meguiars 105, but now I brought out my Flex 3401 and the Meguiars MF cutting pads. One pass!!!!!! Amazing what these pads can do. Those kind of marks used to be rotary compounding only back in the days I got into detailing. What is most amazing to me is the finish out. I am a bit sarcastic of people's ideas of detailed/clean cars, so I say this with the 90% in mind: The finish out with just the MF pad would pass as perfect to most. Never saw that with a rotary and cutting compound.
I did not either until I used the 3M wool pad with the IGL F1/F3 Combo, it was near perfect. I finish down just to pull out the microscratches that I sometimes do not see.

When I do compound with a DA, the Meguiar's MF pad is my go to! Use Meguiar's M100 a little as well, that would of pulled the coating off quicker. M100 cuts hard!

Get notified of new replies

To Meguiars 105 and their MF cutting pad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Meguiars 105 and their MF cutting pad