Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Kamikaze Zipang coat (Self Healing)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 03:18 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Kamikaze Zipang coat (Self Healing)

Well, I guess it was only a matter of time before somebody went this route on the coating. I have been impressed with Kamikaze Myabi and ISM coat on my vehicles and the very few other vehicles I have done(friends of family or family). Ok, it look like I am going ZiPang coat, Myabi coat, then last coat of Zipang coat on my Audi S6. It is a dark moomlight blue metallic color from the manufacturer. I have had issue with this color, but it has been centered around Gyeon Prep.

Since I am sure this will go incredible, the Z06 in LeMans Blue will be next on the list,,,,,However, my Ruby Red Ford Raptor is not to be missed in 2 coats of Myabi and 1 coat of ISM!!

I encourage anyone in the are to contact me. I am more active than my posts would lead one to believe and I can provide examples.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:26 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Is that coating out yet? I saw it on Esoteric's YouTube channel being talked about. I am interested in how it looks and the way it self-heals.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:01 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Innovate
Is that coating out yet? I saw it on Esoteric's YouTube channel being talked about. I am interested in how it looks and the way it self-heals.
Was avaliable for a short time, initial shipment sold out quickly in about a day.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:18 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
Well, I guess it was only a matter of time before somebody went this route on the coating.
With the 'limited' or 'semi' self healing mentions regarding Zipang, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

The 'ultimate' application of Zipang - Miyabi - Zipang is gonna be near the top of prosumer offerings at $320 for Zipang 30ml and $100 for Miyabi 30ml, assuming 30ml of Zipang will provide 2 coats, perhaps an iffy proposition on a very large vehicle.

I did have it in my shopping cart and was ready to jump right in but, honestly, just don't have the motivation to redo any of our vehicles that still have Miyabi/ISM doing so well on them.

Will be interesting to see if I can resist the temptation next time Zipang becomes avaliable.

They also mentioned a new formulation of ISM is on the horizon, as is a new version of Overcoat.

Looking forward to seeing the initial reports of Zipang from the field.

Feynlab, and a few other mfg's, have been offering pro-only self healing coatings for a while now, nice to see it (hopefully) trickling down to consumer level.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 07-01-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:32 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm also really curious to see how the self healing properties work in real life. A bit skeptical at this time, but maybe I'll be impressed.

Rick
Old 09-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Jnemerow
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wish me Luck!!

Just received zipang, myabi, rim stance, and of course all of prep stuff, going on a white c7

Last edited by Jnemerow; 09-13-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:52 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice, looking forward to what your opinion is.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:18 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Jnemerow
Just received zipang, myabi, rim stance, and of course all of prep stuff, going on a white c7
Curious as to what you thought? Gave Miyabi + Zipang a go yesterday.

Finally got around to giving this a go on (yes, another) 2019 Ford Race Red Transit Connect van...at least this one was a bit smaller than the regular Transits we get. While I woulda loved to do the `ultimate` application of Zipang + Miyabi + Zipang, even my fiscal alarm went off at the prospect of dumping $750 in coatings on a fleet vehicle regardless of curiosity. While generally, if ISM Coat is any indicator, can get 2 layers outta 30ml, because of the roof and no windows of this van, that wasn`t gonna happen. So I skipped the highly impractical `ultimate Zipang/Miyabi/Zipang sandwich` and went with the merely marginally impractical middle ground of a base coat of Miyabi + Zipang on top....topped with Overcoat of course.

I used the Autofiber Coating Saver Microfiber Coating Sponge for both Miyabi and Zipang and like the Cquartz UK 3 and 22ple VXPRO2 applications, they worked very well. Miyabi was it`s typically mindless application, apply to 2 panels, remove after 5-6 minutes at about 70 degrees F.

Zipang application was a bit different as recommendations are to apply evenly in a single direction, no cross hatch to insure complete coverage so have to pay a bit more attention to make sure everything is covered. It was ready for removal in 3-5 minutes, a little tacky on removal but nothing special. Definitely a short nap towel deal, however, and I used 300gsm/350gsm for initial removal and leveling and then a final buff with a 400-450gsm. Just for grins on one panel I did do cross hatch in a small area and in addition to getting some texture in the application, the crosshatch pass seemed to dry out the applied coating prematurely making for a somewhat draggy applicator feel. I think perhaps a microsuede applicator would allow for more even coverage as a `thick even layer` is what is recommended. Any small ridges left by the texture of the microfiber applicator were easily leveled during removal though so who knows?

It`s a somewhat `thick` product on application, much like ISM Coat, almost a thin, syrup type of deal. Regardless it all went well, a relatively easy product to use. The look is ISM-ish, the Zipang toned down a bit of the overt reflectivity of Miyabi and gave the surface a deeper richness while still maintaining nice gloss. It looks `rich` in the way that Gtechniq CSL looked rich on this paint shade....very classy. I imagine the Overcoat will lend a nice touch of gloss, will see tomorrow.

As for what *might* make Zipang special, that is the self-healing claims, will wait a week or 2 and then give that a go in some very inconspicuous areas like lower rocker panels. I don`t expect it to be miraculous in any way shape or form but if it has the ability to self-heal light swirls from a less-than-perfect drying towels, that`ll be good enough for me. Pricey, yes, but will solve a potential issue on black cars that will otherwise make it thru 2 years without re-doing. Of course, that depends on if Zipang has the legs that the normal Miyabi + ISM coat has show on my personal car since application 20 months/34k miles ago.

Another red van...well, except for the 100 square feet of black plastic trim...geez Ford. They make nice rolling test panels regardless.

Since I had just a tiny bit of leftovers, pulled a heavily used van in this morning, CarPro ClearCut on microfiber, Sonax Perfect Finish on yellow Rupes and then the `ultimate` Zipang application of Zipang + Miyabi + Zipang. I`ll have no issues taking various items to this hood to test the limits of the claimed self-healing.

If it lives up to my expectations, will put on personal cars this Spring.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 02-08-2019 at 04:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:33 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

BP1 : love to have our vehicles look that good , make that ''great'' , but what really amazes me , as always , is your knowledge . it's like when i talk to our son about computers , it's all ''greek'' [overwhelming] to my . i've talked for several years about getting a porter cable but then read about all the pads and pad sizes and materials and just shake my head knowing i'm a] to old and b] to dumb to figure it out . guess i'll just stick with adams stuff by hand and enjoy reading your amazing reports . thanks for all your time . . . peace........O P , please forgive the intrusion .
The following users liked this post:
BudgetPlan1 (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 12:52 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Thanks for the kinda words but the one thing I know for sure is there is a lot more I *don't* know than I do. Fortunately, there's a lot of good resources available, great help for the asking at Autopia and Autogeek forums. Great bunch of folks, lotsa good YouTube vids as well.

Started off in Spring 2016, a Griots Garage 6" DA, 6 orange pads, 6 white pads, a bottle of Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and a bottle of Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and then gave it a go. It's very, very, *very* hard to do any damage with modern DA's (like the Porter Cable) unless you actually throw the machine at the car. When ya run into something your initial setup can't handle (like etched waterspots on our 2004 Corvette) a little Google and some help from the forums set me up with some more aggressive products (Meguiars D300 compound and their microfiber cutting discs) and one more problem solved. After that, it's just searching for things that either make the job easier and quicker or things you wanna try just to try them. The latter part is the danger zone as curiosity leads ya down the rabbit hole...and it can get deep! Quartz/glass/ceramic (kinda all the same general thing) were my Achilles heel, got real fascinated with them and just can't stop trying new ones.

I also have the good fortune to work for a seasonal business with a large fleet of vehicles, some of whom luckily near the end of their useful lives each year. THOSE are the things you can really learn some stuff on without fear of doing something dumb as the vehicles are soon to be traded in for new replacements.

While there is definitely a myriad of product choices, what you can accomplish with a limited set of tools and products is quite amazing. I certainly don't NEED all the stuff I have to get results, I just WANT it...there's worse 'addictions' by far.

That said, just ordered a new C7 a few weeks ago and when it arrives, going straight from dealer to detailer to get fully wrapped in Paint Protection Film and a few other services (wheel and caliper coating, window tint) that I know is mostly far beyond my skill set. I could do the wheels but hate pulling them and doing the work in my garage so the checkbook will take care of that one this time around.

And I can't clean interior glass to save my life, despite all of the different things I've tried...know your limitations and all and I certainly have mine.

Also, FWIW I was a computer geek in corporate IT/Software development for 25 years; when it finally went offshore in 2010 decided enough of that and weaseled my way into the pool company I'm at now (always had a fascination with pool equipment and chemistry), with it's large fleet of vehicles for me to play with. Funny how things work out...

Originally Posted by bigcypress
BP1 : love to have our vehicles look that good , make that ''great'' , but what really amazes me , as always , is your knowledge . it's like when i talk to our son about computers , it's all ''greek'' [overwhelming] to my . i've talked for several years about getting a porter cable but then read about all the pads and pad sizes and materials and just shake my head knowing i'm a] to old and b] to dumb to figure it out . guess i'll just stick with adams stuff by hand and enjoy reading your amazing reports . thanks for all your time . . . peace........O P , please forgive the intrusion .
Old 02-10-2019, 08:07 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

One of the things I found with Feynlabs Self Healing and I have the Zipang on order, is you need to get it out in the sun or be able to bake it before it truly works.
I did a black Benz and the customer was not willing to pay for paint correction, so we used Feynlabs Heal Lite to see what would happen(it was the first car we did with that product), finished the car put it out on the driveway, thought the car looked like $h!t, but that is what the customer was willing to pay. Got very busy, 6 hours later the customer comes to pick up the car and it looked perfect!!!! I was shocked myself. I was not expecting that at all. Hopefully Zipang will do the same.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:35 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Thanks for the info, quite interesting about the Feynlab. Please keep me updated on your experiences with Zipang...with your experience with this kinda thing, I'd certainly trust your results over mine

An English vendor did the below test and had decent results, more so with hot water than just a heat gun:

https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/...-product-test/

They mention the healing point to be 75 degrees C so about 170 degrees F give or take; that's pretty hot. Does a car panel out in the sun on an 85 F day get to that temp? I'd guess so on horizontal panels but what about sides/vertical panels?

Maybe February in the middle of Winter in NE Ohio was not the optimal time to try something that requires heat to activate its key feature...but will do the best I can with hot water/heat gun and see what happens.

At the end of the day, the trouble with products that claim self-healing is trying to meet unrealistic expectations. Dunno the science behind self healing but would think it sure cant heal anything that is deeper than the thickness of the Zipang layer which, despite being applied in a "...thick, even layer" still is pretty thin.

My hopes for Zipang personally are that it will 'work' to the level of minor, wash induced surface marring/swirling. Anything beyond that would definately be a bonus but not holding out hope. Miss Jones running her shopping cart into my car door at the local Piggly Wiggly would leave marks beyond the capabilities of any self-healing claims methinks but when paying $320 for a 30ml bottle, I fear some expectations will exceed results. And if doing the 'ultimate' application on a large SUV, product cost alone could exceed $750...many would expect significant advantages for that expenditure.

Only time will tell. Thanks for your thoughts/help...looking forward to seeing how it works out for you.

Stuff looks nice, though...a little bit 'sharply glossier' than ISM I think but who really knows...everything looks good when freshly complete.

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
One of the things I found with Feynlabs Self Healing and I have the Zipang on order, is you need to get it out in the sun or be able to bake it before it truly works.
I did a black Benz and the customer was not willing to pay for paint correction, so we used Feynlabs Heal Lite to see what would happen(it was the first car we did with that product), finished the car put it out on the driveway, thought the car looked like $h!t, but that is what the customer was willing to pay. Got very busy, 6 hours later the customer comes to pick up the car and it looked perfect!!!! I was shocked myself. I was not expecting that at all. Hopefully Zipang will do the same.

Get notified of new replies

To Kamikaze Zipang coat (Self Healing)

Quick Reply: Kamikaze Zipang coat (Self Healing)