Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

67 paint detailing

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 07:38 PM
673x2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 67 paint detailing

Good evening ,
It’s been a few years since my last thorough paint detailing.
At that time I clayed the car and used Menerza products with a porter cable
orbit sander.
I lost touch of new products.
The car has an older ( 80’s) enamel paint job in decent
shape. Needs to be cleaned up.
Can someone steer me to products to give my paint
the WOW it once had.
thx, Brian
Old 07-02-2018, 09:45 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by 673x2
Good evening ,
orbit sander.
the WOW it once had.
thx, Brian
Sorry, I don't have any experience with the old enamel paint. You might begin with a good clay bar cleaning and see where that takes you. If the paint is still in fairly good condition you might try Menzerna 3800 with a DA on an orange Lake Country pad in an inconspicuous place and see what that looks like.The old enamel may be pretty soft compared to the newer base coat/clear coat paints so I would proceed with caution. Call Autogeek technical services and tell them what you are doing and see what their recommendation would be on products and technique. If Mike Phillips is in the office see if you can talk with him, if not they have several other experts that can help.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:36 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ge-paints.html
Old 07-09-2018, 07:06 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by 673x2
Good evening ,
orbit sander.
the WOW it once had.
thx, Brian
A bit of a tough one, but let me try.
With a PC, I would get the following:
BIG POINT!! Pushing a buffer around at high speed, just pushes product around and does not allow it to do it's job. Moving a buffer at speed is counterproductive. It should move along at a snails pace. Let the product spend some time on each section.
If the paint is micro marred/light swirls - Zaino's ZPC will produce an incredible shine, the best I have ever seen with 4 Rupes Yellow Pads - One for the hood, roof, and rear, One for the left side, one for the right side, and an extra one to have in reserve if the pads get exceptionally dirty.
Run the PC, just a notch or two above 4 and work ZPC until it is almost dry. It is what they call a diminishing compound. It starts out as an aggressive compund(This is a very relative term, as it is mild compared to many products), then breaks down as you work it and will polish up the surface to a brilliant shine.

If the paint is really beat up, then go with Jescar Cutting Compound and 4 Meguiars Microfiber Cutting Pads
You can get an incredible shine from Jescar using the proper technique.
Proper Technique for Jescar Using a Meguairs cutting pad, 4 pea sized drop on each corner, run it at 4, with some pressure, but not too much. I do 4 passes over an area 2' x 2' is the recommended area, so I come as close as I can to that. The 4 passes are one horizontal, or vertical, depending on the panel, then the opposite direction, rotating for 3 more passes. Here is the key... then I do 2 more passes with very little pressure at all. That will polish up the surface. Microfiber pads have a tendency to leave microscopic scratches behind that detract every so slightly the finish. Very, very light pressure will improve the final finish. Same speed goes for Jescar, snails pace.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 paint detailing

Quick Reply: 67 paint detailing