Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Glaze/Sealer before wax?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 02:33 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Glaze/Sealer before wax?

Hey all,

I spent the better part of the morning detailing my car.

I used an orbital and applied a coat of this stuff...

Then I buffed the paint out and applied a coat of this..

I have to say I'm quite pleased with the results I've never done it this way before. usually I just clay bar then wax... but this combo really put a shine on the car I haven't seen since I owned it.
When I get her out in the sun in a little I'll post a proper picture.

How often should I uses glaze/Sealer type of product. These will do cause had them laying around. Is it something that's done after every claybar? or also in between waxes? thanks!
Old 07-25-2018, 03:16 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by NmtMev
How often should I uses glaze/Sealer type of product.
Hard to say. It depends on how much weather/sun your car sees, and how good of a product you use. Each sealant is different. For daily drivers, some people apply good quality sealants 2 or 3 times per year. For my daily driver, I give it a full detail twice per year, including a light machine polish and new sealant. I do use a synthetic spray wax (sealant) after each wash to help extend the life of my base sealant.

Is it something that's done after every claybar?
Claybarring usually will remove whatever sealant or wax you have on your finish. So, yes.

also in between waxes?
You do not apply glaze or sealant between waxes. Glaze and sealant is to be applied to clean, wax-free paint. That is so it can bond properly. If you apply glaze and/or sealant on top of wax, it will simply come off when the wax does, which is often.

I am not familiar with a glaze/sealant combo product like yours, as I use each product separately. However, the process always goes like this, in this order: Clay bar > polish (if needed) > glaze > sealant > wax > spray wax > detail spray.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:47 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

^^^^ thank you! it gets very time consuming but I think the results are worth it. my pain looks really clean!

next day off I'll do another car that needs it. I wanna use this stuff up so I can get something new to try!
Old 07-25-2018, 06:05 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Looks great!

Yeah, once you finish up those bottles, there are a lot of other products that provide better bang for the buck. I have learned a lot over the past year or so, and many pro detailers have helped me out big time. The only store-bought items I use these days are a few select Meguiar's products. Everything else I purchase from online detailing suppliers. There are a LOT of good choices available, and it can make your head spin. I definitely have spent WAY too much on detailing stuff this year, but really wanted to try out many products.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:21 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

black is one of those colors though...aghhhh, I just got back from a drive around town and it's damn dusty as hell.... Mine also lives outside under the covered area so I'm pretty much screwed no matter what I use....

but considering my results I will look for some other products, separates maybe..., we will see how long this holds up. usually the wax lasts about a month with baths 2x a week. It's a lot of damn work! thank goodness I have a machine and am not doing it by hand...
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 08:15 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Looks good!
Old 07-25-2018, 08:38 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Adam's Polish
Looks good!
Thanks!

Hey with all this waxing and all going on all the time, how long till I mess up my xpel? the whole front half of the car is covered in it. The spray they sell and tell you to use on it is crap. when I wax, if I don't hit the clearwrap with the wax you can totally half isn't waxed? any products or suggestions? I spent about 30min today cleaning wax out of the xpel seams with little brush
Old 07-26-2018, 08:28 AM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

You can't go wrong with Kenotec detail spray as a maintainer. I use it on my Expel and it always looks amazing with this product.

Get notified of new replies

To Glaze/Sealer before wax?

Quick Reply: Glaze/Sealer before wax?