Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Nanoskin

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 01:15 PM
Celticknot
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Nanoskin

Has anyone used the nano skin sponge or "clay" Towel. Thoughts? Do they work?
Old 09-18-2018, 03:56 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I don't use the Autoscrub towel, but I do use the Autoscrub wash mitt (fine grade). It works just as well as my Cobra clay mitt. Using a heavy dilution of wash soap in the bucket (for lubricity), I was able to pull off quite a bit of surface contamination from my daily driver with the Autoscrub mitt.

Nanoskin has great stuff. I have their carnauba wax, spray sealant, detail spray, interior odor eliminator, wash soap, and glass sealant. Pretty high-quality products with great prices.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

I have stopped using clay bars ever since I first used the NanoSkin AutoSrub Towel.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...bar-again.html
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (09-19-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 01:48 AM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
I have stopped using clay bars ever since I first used the NanoSkin AutoSrub Towel.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...bar-again.html

What homer said....traded in the clay bar for a mitt. Way better job and 10x's as fast.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sixgun95:
FYRARMS (09-21-2018), MMD (10-24-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:42 AM
DK83
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I use the mitts, discs, and towels in both fine and medium grade. They are definitely HUGE time savers and do work. Make sure to use PLENTY of lubrication and break in the towel on glass before using on paint. Refer to their directions before using. I like to use ONR as my lube, but also have heard their glide lube is pretty good as well.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:05 PM
pcbreflectionsllc
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get ready to break out your Rupes Polishers after using a neoprene clay mitt/disc. Lube or No Lube your going to marr the surface.
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 11:15 PM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcbreflectionsllc
Get ready to break out your Rupes Polishers after using a neoprene clay mitt/disc. Lube or No Lube your going to marr the surface.
Ridiculous statement. These are an alternative to a clay bar, makes life much easier cleaning the paint surface prior to a nice detail. My preference is a Griots mitt, I use this one and it is fantastic https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ks&from=Search
Old 09-24-2018, 11:20 PM
pcbreflectionsllc
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixgun95

Ridiculous statement. These are an alternative to a clay bar, makes life much easier cleaning the paint surface prior to a nice detail. My preference is a Griots mitt, I use this one and it is fantastic https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ks&from=Search
I own probably 5 or 6 Nanoskin Clay mitts and use them everyday prepping cars for multi step paint corrections. They will Marr/microscratch a vehicle everytime they are used. I don't care what lube you use. Immolube by carpro (which is what we use), nanoskin shock, ONR diluted 1/2oz per 32oz as per lube mixing guide. If you think you are not scratching your car with the Fine grade or Medium grade mitt or disc you have lost your marbles!
Old 09-25-2018, 12:24 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

He is correct. I never use my Nanoskin or Cobra clay mitts without at least a mild machine polish afterwards. Minimum regiment for my cars is Poorboy's World Pro Polish (pad-dependent formula) with an LC blue polishing pad.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:53 PM
DK83
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree as well! Some colors are more forgiving than others, but regardless claying does mar the surface. Back to the original question, yes clay mitts do work though.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:12 PM
MidLife+
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

They work great, make sure you give them a good workout on your glass before you work on your paint. See instructions....
Old 09-30-2018, 12:28 AM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcbreflectionsllc
I own probably 5 or 6 Nanoskin Clay mitts and use them everyday prepping cars for multi step paint corrections. They will Marr/microscratch a vehicle everytime they are used. I don't care what lube you use. Immolube by carpro (which is what we use), nanoskin shock, ONR diluted 1/2oz per 32oz as per lube mixing guide. If you think you are not scratching your car with the Fine grade or Medium grade mitt or disc you have lost your marbles!
You are correct and point well taken. I was assuming that if you were using a Nanoskin, or clay for that matter you were doing a paint correction. Not simply using the mitt followed by paint protection. Good point!
Old 10-12-2018, 05:05 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I use the "fine" grade Nanoskin sponge and haven't noticed any marring.

But then I have a Machine Silver car which is garaged and covered , so the paint is in great condition anyway.

In my case it works fine.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:17 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I have used the Nanoskin fine mitt on the hard paints on my Mustang and my wifes Lexus. Had no problems and no marring at all. It's possible if you used a medium Mitt on a softer paint like a Corvette you could see minor marring. Keep in mind that claying a painted surface is a form of abrasion. It does have abrasive properties as this is how it removes irregularities in the paint. I only use the Mitt if I am going to do a paint correction. Even if the paint did get abraded or marred a good polishing will remove. Once you use a Nanaskin Mitt you will never use clay bar again. It does a much better job and does it in a fraction amount of time, Really enjoying using my mitt.

Get notified of new replies

To Nanoskin

Quick Reply: Nanoskin