Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Which spray wax to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 11:04 AM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Which spray wax to go with?

Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax or Wolfgang Fuzion Spray Wax. To set my decision in place, I am a believer in product continuity. but open to what works best with a cross product giving me the "WOW" factor on the finish results. I will be using Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax. I have used this before and it gave me the results I were expecting. However, there lies within my question now, which spray wax to use? I am leaning towards Wolfgang Fuzion, but I had wonderful results with the pinnacle spray wax. With that, just seeking your thoughts and opinions. Thanks..... Yeah, yeah , yeah, I know, why change from what has worked? Well, how else does one learn what works and not without experiencing with other methods or products, seeking that factor you are looking for the most ultimate finish one is looking for. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:43 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

If you are happy with the Pinnacle paste wax (excellent choice), my vote is to just use the Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax. I would highly doubt you would notice any difference in appearance if you chose the Wolfgang Fuzion. Spray waxes just don't make that much of an improvement in what your polishing and base wax or sealant is already providing. Since the correction/polishing stage is what gives you 90% (probably more) of your shine and depth, the remaining 10% (if even that) is due to your protection products. Most of that 10% will be from a good paste product with a high polymer and/or carnauba content. So, very little additional "pop" is due to a spray wax. I have tried many different brands in hopes of finding that one spray wax that really adds the "wow" factor, but they just all provide the same results to me. I have yet to really notice any better appearance improvement that one spray wax made versus that of any another spray wax. With that in mind, my spray wax selection is now based on: 1) ease of application, 2) flash time, 3) lack of streaking/hazing, 4) cost.

I currently have all these carnauba-based spray waxes in my arsenal. All of them work with whichever base paste or liquid/cream protection I use (currently Jescar Power Lock sealant topped with Griot's "Best Of Show" paste wax):

Sonax "High Speed Wax"
Sonus "Carnauba Spritz"
McKee's 37 "Fast Wax"
Griot's Garage "Best Of Show"
Optimum Polymer Technologies "Car Wax"
303 Aerospace "Spray Wax"
Jax Wax "Hawaiian Shine"
Chemical Guys "Blazin' Banana"

So, yeah, if I had to choose between the Pinnacle and the Wolfgang, I would choose the Pinnacle.
And, at $30 per 16oz for the Pinnacle and $40 per 16oz for the Wolfgang (ouch), they both better work miracles!

Old 09-20-2018, 02:15 PM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
If you are happy with the Pinnacle paste wax (excellent choice), my vote is to just use the Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax. I would highly doubt you would notice any difference in appearance if you chose the Wolfgang Fuzion. Spray waxes just don't make that much of an improvement in what your polishing and base wax or sealant is already providing. Since the correction/polishing stage is what gives you 90% (probably more) of your shine and depth, the remaining 10% (if even that) is due to your protection products. Most of that 10% will be from a good paste product with a high polymer and/or carnauba content. So, very little additional "pop" is due to a spray wax. I have tried many different brands in hopes of finding that one spray wax that really adds the "wow" factor, but they just all provide the same results to me. I have yet to really notice any better appearance improvement that one spray wax made versus that of any another spray wax. With that in mind, my spray wax selection is now based on: 1) ease of application, 2) flash time, 3) lack of streaking/hazing, 4) cost.

I currently have all these carnauba-based spray waxes in my arsenal. All of them work with whichever base paste or liquid/cream protection I use (currently Jescar Power Lock sealant topped with Griot's "Best Of Show" paste wax):

Sonax "High Speed Wax"
Sonus "Carnauba Spritz"
McKee's 37 "Fast Wax"
Griot's Garage "Best Of Show"
Optimum Polymer Technologies "Car Wax"
303 Aerospace "Spray Wax"
Jax Wax "Hawaiian Shine"
Chemical Guys "Blazin' Banana"

So, yeah, if I had to choose between the Pinnacle and the Wolfgang, I would choose the Pinnacle.
And, at $30 per 16oz for the Pinnacle and $40 per 16oz for the Wolfgang (ouch), they both better work miracles!
make since......thanks.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:32 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by c6vetteinhouston
make since......thanks.
You may want to snag the McKee's 37 Fast Wax. Cheaper than the Pinnacle and Wolfgang, but still a VERY high quality product. McKee's 37 is at the same level as the other brands. And Bob McKee used to own Pinnacle, so...
Old 09-21-2018, 12:01 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 132 Likes on 75 Posts

Old 09-21-2018, 12:14 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Meg's "Ultimate Fast Finish" is a synthetic sealant, not a wax. It works pretty well for what it is.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:53 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

I have used most all and I've found that The Best of Show Wax from Griot's Garage out performs the rest. Very easy to use, super gloss and slickness, great hydrophobic properties and lasts the longest. I gave away all the other bottles I had of spray wax. This stuff is awesome.

The following 2 users liked this post by tractman:
c6vetteinhouston (09-21-2018), FYRARMS (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 01:17 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tractman
I have used most all and I've found that The Best of Show Wax from Griot's Garage out performs the rest. Very easy to use, super gloss and slickness, great hydrophobic properties and lasts the longest. I gave away all the other bottles I had of spray wax. This stuff is awesome.
Agreed 100%. I have gravitated to the Griot's and the CG Blazin' Banana (works exactly the same for me) for spray waxes. I put a coat of "Best Of Show" paste wax on last month, and wiped the car down with the "Best Of Show" spray wax the morning of a car show I attended a couple weeks later. The gloss was great, and the metallic in my paint really jumped. I am sold on Griot's products!

The following 2 users liked this post by FYRARMS:
c6vetteinhouston (09-21-2018), Tim2013 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 07:37 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Meg's "Ultimate Fast Finish" is a synthetic sealant, not a wax. It works pretty well for what it is.
ok, all spray waxes are high in(synthetic material) polymers.
From Griot's..... If Best of Show Spray Wax was applied in direct sunlight or onto a hot panel it can sometimes be difficult to achieve a streak free finish because of the rich, high polymer nature of the formula. For best results always apply to a cool panel out of direct sunlight.

The following users liked this post:
Joe K (09-24-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:06 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sunset-C6
ok, all spray waxes are high in(synthetic material) polymers.
From Griot's..... If Best of Show Spray Wax was applied in direct sunlight or onto a hot panel it can sometimes be difficult to achieve a streak free finish because of the rich, high polymer nature of the formula. For best results always apply to a cool panel out of direct sunlight.
Of course, liquid spray waxes contain synthetic polymers. Even paste waxes do. What is your point? This thread is about spray wax. Not spray sealant. Ultimate Fast Finish does not contain wax. It is a sealant. All the spray waxes we are discussing do. Because, well... wax. LOL Again, Ultimate Fast Finish is a great synthetic spray product. I use it on my daily driver as a topper after my base sealant applications.

Also from Griot's: "Best of Show Spray Wax doesn't just add the retina-shattering gloss we all lust after, it leaves behind premium carnauba wax protection."

Old 09-21-2018, 11:11 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Of course, liquid spray waxes contain synthetic polymers. Even paste waxes do. What is your point? This thread is about spray wax. Not spray sealant. Ultimate Fast Finish does not contain wax. It is a sealant. All the spray waxes we are discussing do. Because, well... wax. LOL Again, Ultimate Fast Finish is a great synthetic spray product. I use it on my daily driver as a topper after my base sealant applications.

Also from Griot's: "Best of Show Spray Wax doesn't just add the retina-shattering gloss we all lust after, it leaves behind premium carnauba wax protection."
Meguire's Fast finish box the easiest way to "Wax" offering another way to enhance/protect your paint. I suppose you can put anything on the label to make a sale. Find a product you like & use it.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:45 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sunset-C6
Find a product you like & use it.
Well, duh. That is what this spray wax thread is about. Finding the OP the best carnauba in a bottle for his needs. Which spray carnaubas have you used that you would recommend?
Old 09-22-2018, 01:37 PM
Tim2013
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I used the Griots Best of Show spray wax this morning and it is great! A little goes a long long way. Mist it on, wipe off and lightly buff by hand with a microfiber towel. The next time I buff I will use the best of show liquid wax. Griots makes some great products. Tim

Last edited by Tim2013; 09-22-2018 at 01:38 PM.
FYRARMS (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 05:32 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tim2013
I used the Griots Best of Show spray wax this morning and it is great! A little goes a long long way. Mist it on, wipe off and lightly buff by hand with a microfiber towel. The next time I buff I will use the best of show liquid wax. Griots makes some great products.

Tim2013 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:58 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts

Cheap, Fast, Good...............
No need to buy "boutique" car wax.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:33 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

My Corvette is worth the extra $7 to buy a better spray wax from Griot's. Nothing "boutique" about premium detailing products that actually out-perform the cheap stuff.
Tim2013 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 05:27 AM
Tim2013
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

My Corvette is worth the extra $7 to buy a better spray wax from Griot's. Nothing "boutique" about premium detailing products that actually out-perform the cheap stuff.
i agree with you! I use to use Simoniz paste wax with a Waxcoa buffer 45 years ago and thought that was great. It also took all day to do my car too. Turtle wax is a good product but these new waxes are far superior to anything I use to use. I really like Griots and love the product support that they offer too! In the end you have to use what you have confidence in . For me, I like having fun in my garage with Griot’s Garage! Lol Tim

Get notified of new replies

To Which spray wax to go with?

Old 09-23-2018, 11:49 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tim2013
i agree with you! I use to use Simoniz paste wax with a Waxcoa buffer 45 years ago and thought that was great. It also took all day to do my car too. Turtle wax is a good product but these new waxes are far superior to anything I use to use. I really like Griots and love the product support that they offer too! In the end you have to use what you have confidence in . For me, I like having fun in my garage with Griot’s Garage! Lol
Exactly. I mean, nobody "needs" to buy a $14 spray wax instead of a $7 one. However, when the $14 spray wax actually works better, I can justify the cost. Like you, I used to buy whatever cheap detailing product was on the shelf at whatever store I was at. Then, I actually spent more on high-end products to see what the fuss was about. I was actually amazed at the difference. Most of the pricier products provided better results while being easier to apply/remove, and I also used much less product to achieve those results. Probably a reason why most professional detailers don't use Turtle Wax or Simoniz. LOL
Old 09-23-2018, 07:16 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts

Just "saying" Groit's is better than Turtle, doesn't make it so.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:36 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ztheusa
Just "saying" Groit's is better than Turtle, doesn't make it so.
And just "saying" Griot's and others are merely "boutique" products doesn't make them so. Oops.

I have actually used the Turtle Wax Express Shine. And, yes, the Griot's "Best Of Show" spray wax is a much better product. I found that it had higher lubricity, it flashed much faster, it was less streaky when applied in humidity, and I was able to use less product to cover the entire car. Hell, even the spray head on the Griot's bottle is better. All their spray heads blast a very fine mist. That atomization surely helps to reduce the amount of product used.

Please tell us about your personal experience with the Griot's, and why nobody needs to spend the extra $7 on it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Which spray wax to go with?