Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Whats the hot ticket for paint correction these days...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Whats the hot ticket for paint correction these days...

Looking for some updated advice.

I've used HD Uno Cut and various pads on my PC polisher in the past to prep for Zaino CS. This was 2013-2014.

I'm planning to do some minor polishing on my Jazz Blue Hellcat in preparation for some type of Ceramic...maybe CS, maybe Hydro Silex. I'm definitely going to give Kenotek a shot as well...

Any more current product advice or help appreciated. I searched...didn't find much specific to the prep work.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:58 PM
pcbreflectionsllc
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you looking for a a great single step product? Or are you looking to maximize the overall clarity and gloss of your hellcat with a multi step paint correction? Even though this is a Corvette Forum and GM clear coat has no similarities. Your dodge will be a great deal softer in terms of clear coat hardness and will be easier to work with and finish down.

Single Step Combination, I would recommend Shine Supply Burn Out with a light cutting pad (like a orange lake country flat pad) which is a great product for single stepping and is infused with Si02 and will leave your paint ready for a ceramic coating installation assuming you have prepped the surface correctly by removing contamination (iron, environmental fallout, and sealant)

If your wanting to maximize the depth and shine and make it all it can be I would recommend shine supply flat top compound or sonax cut max with a meguiars microfiber cutting pad or a buff and shine euro fiber cutting pad for your correction work and Carpro Essences with a orange or white lake country flat pad to polish out to high gloss. Essences is also infused with Si02 and will leave your surface prepared and ready for a ceramic coating.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:18 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

In my dettiling shop I had incredible success with Jescar's Correcting Compound with the Meguiars Microfiber Cutting Pad, followed up by Zaino's ZPC and a Rupes Yellow Pad. Then used Ceramic Pro on the horizontal surface and Kamikaze Miyabe on the vertical. It was a test to see which product looked better and held on longer. So far Kamikaze's Miyabe has hands down won the battle for looks, between those two.
Now, I am also a Feynlabe installer which came after Ceramic Pro and Kamikaze,and that product is simply beats the heck out of both of them.
But back to your point, the Meguiars Microfiber Cutting Pad leaves behind microscopic swirls that very faintly detract from the finish. Sonax, or ZPC with the Rupes Yellow Foam Pad produces an incredible gloss.
My shop was known for more Best In Show car that I can count, but I sold it and moved onto other things. I did my wife's metallic Red PT Cruiser as an experiment in terror with the above combinations, and can barely get out of the gas station, as so many people want to know what kind of paint is on that car
As pbreflectionsllc hints at good correction takes time and patience. It is not an exercise in speed.
​​​​​​
Old 10-02-2018, 02:07 AM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Grzldvt1, I am an amatuer paint correction enthuisast.

I have been using my Porter Cable 7424 6" backing Plate.....with your suggested Meguiars Microfiber Cutting Pad
and Meg's 105 and a little 100 to remove the chips in my 2012 Grand Sport Clear Coat and the straight line scratches.
Is the Jescar's Correcting Compound that much better to justify buying it as I have new 32oz bottle of Meg's 105.
I followed the 105 with Meg;s 205 on White Lake Country Foam Pad.

Also for remaining very minor clear coat defects (chips) should I quit while Im ahead versus any grit of wet sanding
I dont have paint depth gauge. Should I buy one that is affordable (???) and then how to know how thick your clear is???

Never heard of Feynlabe before. Is it only sold direct from Mfg to ANYONE???
Do I need to buy ALL there Prep products
I'll look for other Feynlabe Reviews ????

Thanks
Old 10-02-2018, 09:37 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,238 Likes on 909 Posts

There is no way to know how thick your clear coat is without a paint depth gage which is very expensive. There is no quick fix to defect free paint. Always start with the least aggressive approach and go more aggressive as needed. If you are not experienced in paint correction you may want to watch the videos posted on the Autogeek site and other internet sights for technique and product usage.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:34 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pcbreflectionsllc
Even though this is a Corvette Forum and GM clear coat has no similarities. Your dodge will be a great deal softer in terms of clear coat hardness and will be easier to work with and finish down.

Single Step Combination, I would recommend Shine Supply Burn Out with a light cutting pad (like a orange lake country flat pad) which is a great product for single stepping and is infused with Si02 and will leave your paint ready for a ceramic coating installation assuming you have prepped the surface correctly by removing contamination (iron, environmental fallout, and sealant)
Thanks for the tips and clarification here. Most of my correction work has been done on GM products - including some old stuff from the 99-03 vintage. Always impressed with how much better the OE paint was starting on the 99-06 GM Trucks compared to the old days.

I think for my purposes on the Hellcat (which scratches very easily), the single stage should work nicely. Thanks again!

Here is my sons '03 Sierra - V8 with a 5-Speed stick. This was my first attempt at correction. This truck had lived in CO/KS and saw it's fair share of automatic washes. I thought it came out pretty good.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:46 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by CamarosRus
Grzldvt1, I am an amatuer paint correction enthuisast.

I have been using my Porter Cable 7424 6" backing Plate.....with your suggested Meguiars Microfiber Cutting Pad
and Meg's 105 and a little 100 to remove the chips in my 2012 Grand Sport Clear Coat and the straight line scratches.
Is the Jescar's Correcting Compound that much better to justify buying it as I have new 32oz bottle of Meg's 105.
I followed the 105 with Meg;s 205 on White Lake Country Foam Pad.

Also for remaining very minor clear coat defects (chips) should I quit while Im ahead versus any grit of wet sanding
I dont have paint depth gauge. Should I buy one that is affordable (???) and then how to know how thick your clear is???

Never heard of Feynlabe before. Is it only sold direct from Mfg to ANYONE???
Do I need to buy ALL there Prep products
I'll look for other Feynlabe Reviews ????

Thanks
Ok, I am guessing what you are trying to fix is not that old. No need for a paint gauge. A bit of overkill unless you are trying to buff a car from the 80/90's and don't know the history. The products you are using are excellent. The 105 is an awesome product, I would follow up with 205 and a foam pad. I was using 105 and 205 in my shop with excellent results. I just experimented and liked the Jescar/Zaino ZPC ever so slightly better.. Would anyone off the street tell the difference, I seriously doubt it, but as someone that does it for a living, I saw a subtle difference that was enough for me to go with Jescar/Zaino.
Do not get too bollixed up with all the Feynlabs products. You just need the coating product. I have used all of their products and given them feedback. While most are absolutely incredible, some are a pain in a$$ to use. Because I am an installer I see a different view. If you create an account and can get the Heal Lite, that is the way to go. Include the Leveling Aid, even if not Feynlabs product it is amazing to help remove high spots and create the perfect ceramic surface.for any product.
Having said all of that Kamikaze Miyabe available at Esoteric Car Care, is my second choice, Easy to use, you have a lot of time to correct high spots, but you don;t get the longevity that Feynlabs has.

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 10-04-2018 at 03:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CamarosRus (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 04:48 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Grzldvt1, Your posts are informative..THANK YOU

I would like to buy the FENELAB product(s) during Black Friday sales weekend if possible
I need to read more and list out exactly what Im able to purchase vs the certified stuff Im unable

A friend this last week had a new RAV4 rental that had picked up significant parking lot scratches
defects.
I started out with my Megs Micro Fibre Cutting Pad and Meg's 105. While doing a good job it would not
remove all the scratch defects....after TWO sessions
I then used Megs 100 and Bingo...it removed ALL the defects within a few minutes (or less)
I surprised myself

I am NOT a pro detailer and dont want to keep buying product after product $$$$$$$$$
Which of the above mentioned polishes is most similar to MEG's 100 vs more similar to MEG's 105
Old 10-22-2018, 02:52 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by CamarosRus
I would like to buy the FENELAB product(s) during Black Friday sales weekend if possible
Feynlab products are only available via their website which likely means no sales but I don't follow them very closely so maybe they run sales from time to time. Have a vehicle I'm watching that had their Ceramic + TopCoat applied to it in Febraury 2018. If you like a sharp, brilliant shine (a la' Zaino) it.s the product for you. As a consumer you'll likely not have access to their self-healing products but that could have changed as well.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:40 PM
Z51VetteFan
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 157 Posts

Ive recently gotten into a little detailing, myself, and to get started, I of course went to YouTube. Because, where else can you find out how to do just about anything??

Anyway, I started following a gentleman that has a successful mobile detailing business, in Dallas. He uses many products from Menzerna, to HD Speed. And hes actually had great success with Griots more professional line, of BOSS Creams. Scott from Dallas Paint Correction and Detailing. Great videos.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:27 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51VetteFan
Scott from Dallas Paint Correction and Detailing. Great videos.
Scott is my favorite, and even though he rambles a lot, he has helped me a LOT. I follow a few guys. The Forensic Detailing dude from the UK is good, and the Apex Detail guy does a lot of product versus product testing. You can waste a whole week watching these guys. LOL
The following users liked this post:
Z51VetteFan (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Z51VetteFan
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 157 Posts

Same. Ive spent countless hours, watching his videos, as well as others.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:51 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
The Forensic Detailing dude from the UK is good, and the Apex Detail guy does a lot of product versus product testing.
Like his channel but man, that guy always looks cold.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the hot ticket for paint correction these days...

Quick Reply: Whats the hot ticket for paint correction these days...