Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Best car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 06:37 PM
Ladensack3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Best car wash?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I normally go through automatic car washes for my regular cars. How do most of you wash your vette? In driveway? And what exactly do you use? Sorry if this is a dumb question or has been talked about a million times. I’m new here! Thanks
Old 10-06-2018, 09:13 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

First and foremost if you love your car (s) you will avoid automatic-quick wash places like the plague. While they will remove most dirt, they will also use that dirt to induce swirls ( scratches ) in the paint that will detract from that nice shiny paint.
With out seeing your car I can tell you -you now have them. Smooth flat paint is what reflects the most light back at you and gives that marvelous shine we love. You take a light source or pull out into the sun and see these swirls

that is an example of a car I received that had the bad fortune of being through car washes. The only way to remove is to polish. Machine that is. Go to AutoGeek or Adams to see "how to's ) on this. Very easy actually and there are various DA's that won't break the bank. After that of course you need to add a LSP ( Last Step Protection ) product of which you can choose wax-sealant's or coatings to help preserve and protect that new found shine

Same hood after correction. Somewhat of a difference.
To maintain this most would use what's called the 2 bucket method

https://www.autogeek.net/car-wash-bucket.html
Using a dedicated car shampoo-NOT dishsoap. Hope this helps get you started at least

Last edited by yamabob; 10-06-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:35 PM
Ladensack3
Instructor

Thanks! I was sayin my old daily driver I take through auto washes. I actually just bought my vette today. And yes I know I shouldn’t take it through auto wash. That’s why I’m asking what is best method in my driveway?
Old 10-06-2018, 04:45 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

Ah. First congrats on the purchase.In that case 2 bucket method. Now when it comes to what brand of shampoo, I'd base that off what LSP you use andwhat you want from the shampoo,ie. youi want it to leave a little gloss enhancement or not.
I will 2 bucket on others cars. On my own I subscribe to the keep it clean. No matter what or how you choose to clean it, I strongly believe a key is the pre-soak. I will do a 2 step where I I start bottom up. After things loosen I'll mix my wash solution an squirt top down before I put a hand on it.
If yo give us some idea's of what you like-want to spend and type of LSP you want there are several here that can help make great suggestions
Old 10-06-2018, 04:54 PM
Ladensack3
Instructor

I just want to get a good wash on it! I just bought some griots wash and that seemed to work well. I also bought some griots Spray detailer. Car is done with wash now. Should I use the detailer? Guy I bought it from said there should still be some good wax on it. Seemed head up pretty good too. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Best car wash?

Quick Reply: Best car wash?