Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Light dust. California Car Duster or Griots Speed Shine and new MF towel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 10:12 AM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Light dust. California Car Duster or Griots Speed Shine and new MF towel?

My wife gave me a set of California Car Dusters (lg and sm) for Xmas about 15 years ago. They've been in my shop ever since and I've never once used them.
I was cleaning the garage today and figured I should probably get rid of them if I'm never going to use them.
What's the word on these things, should they be avoided?

I have used Griot's Speed Shine but only with a new micro fiber towel and it seems to work pretty well.
I'm only talking about a car that's been washed very recently, hardly driven if at all and maybe just has a very small amount of dust on it.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:55 AM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

California duster is great for light dust & faster then(spray/wipe)detail spray.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:28 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I've used them for many years for light dust an never had a problem. Before you use them, assuming they are still in the wrapper, set them on a towel or newspaper overnight to absorb the excess paraffin resin. Otherwise, it will streak.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:25 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

You'll get answers on both sides of this fence
Old 12-17-2018, 08:36 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Dusters, my cars are black, used for decades, no complaints, good product.

Light touch, in the same direction to avoid fine line scratches from dust/ dirt would be my comments
Follow dusting w/ Detail spray/ MF towel if need be

P.S. Perhaps try the duster on a section of the car to see if you like it, worse case you can re-machine polish.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:45 AM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Carvin
You'll get answers on both sides of this fence
Yes, I've googled and found a bunch of conflicting answers from they're the best thing since sliced bread to I wouldn't be caught dead using one.
The one that puzzles me is that they are great but don't use them on black cars. In my view, they either cause micro scratches or they don't. If they do, I don't want to use them on any color.

I'm really only interest in a case where my car has sit in the garage for some number of days after being put there freshly washed. If using a spray product like Speed & Shine and a new microfiber towel is BETTER than using a California duster, then I'm thinking I wont ever use the duster.

The following users liked this post:
Carvin (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 01:34 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Depends on how annal a person is regarding end result.

My fairly extreme believe:

Any touching/dragging contact, however light, having imbedded particulate on tool will certainly cause abrasion.

Better off invest in a blower or air gun to blow off simple dust/pollen.

Anything more, need to resist lazy temptations, give it a proper wash. After wash, use car cover.

Further enhancements is ceramic coat, way easier to blow off dust. Dust settled on my coated car simply blows off from out driving.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:33 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by roger55
Yes, I've googled and found a bunch of conflicting answers from they're the best thing since sliced bread to I wouldn't be caught dead using one.
The one that puzzles me is that they are great but don't use them on black cars. In my view, they either cause micro scratches or they don't. If they do, I don't want to use them on any color.

I'm really only interest in a case where my car has sit in the garage for some number of days after being put there freshly washed. If using a spray product like Speed & Shine and a new microfiber towel is BETTER than using a California duster, then I'm thinking I wont ever use the duster.
any time you touch the paint with anything you run the risk of damage...….as with everything proper technic is the key.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:38 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would and do recommend the detail spray & a GOOD micro fiber towel

Get notified of new replies

To Light dust. California Car Duster or Griots Speed Shine and new MF towel?

Quick Reply: Light dust. California Car Duster or Griots Speed Shine and new MF towel?