Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Need a little advice on my detailing process

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 02:48 PM
Xcaliber
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Need a little advice on my detailing process

It has been about 8 years since I really detailed a car. I use to have a pretty good feel for paint care, but I know there are a lot better processes now, so tell me where to improve.

​​​​​​I start off a detailing session by washing the car with a cleaner soap to clean all the old wax off. To dry it after washing I use a micro fiber towel. I only use cobra towels, due to the fact that I have had a few of them for several years and they do not tear up that easy. After that, I then use a high quality clay bar and clay bar lubricant. As I am claying the car, I am mentally marking the bad spots on the car, such as scratches and scuffs. I then wash the car again with pH-balanced car shampoo. I like to use duragloss shampoo #901. Once I dry it with a micro fiber towel, I pull out my Porter cable 7424 Dual Action polisher with all the different pads I will need, depending on what I have found during clay baring the car. If I had deep scratches and scuffs, I will use a lake county orange pad with either poorboys SSR 3 or SSR 2.5, and then once done with either of those, will wipe off the residue with a micro fiber hand towel. I will then go back over it with poorboys SSR 1 and a lake county yellow pad to finish that spot. If it is an intermediate scratch or scuff, I will use the same steps as before, but start with the poorboys SSR 2.5 with a lake county orange pad, but just not apply as much pressure on the 7424. Again, I follow up immediately after with the poorboys SSR 1 with the lake county yellow pad. The light scratches and micro marring only need the poorboys SSR1 with the lake county white pad. Once done with that process, I will again wash the car with a pH-balanced car shampoo and dry it with a micro fiber towel. I will use Klasse All-in-One Polish. I put it on with a damp micro fiber towel and wait about 15-20 seconds and wipe it off with a dry micro fiber towel. Next, I use Klasse High gloss sealant and put on 2 to 3 coats of it. Last but not least on the exterior side, is the 100% carnauba wax. I use poorboy's natty’s paste wax - Blue. I apply it with the 7424 and a lake county blue pad. I will put on the first coat the same day that all of the other things are going on and then put a second coat on the next day and a third coat on the day after that. Once applied and the wax has dried, I again use a micro fiber towel to wipe off the residue.

So where do I need to improve? I have read about ceramic coatings, but have no clue how they work or their worth.

Thanks for any advice.

Quick Reply: Need a little advice on my detailing process