Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Best polish for lemans blue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 09:34 PM
Ladensack3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Best polish for lemans blue?

Ok I just purchased a porter cable 7424xp. I am planning on doing a paint correction come spring.
i want to buy the best for these 3 steps. I know Adams is a sponsor and have heard great things, but regardless of brand what’s the best in your opinion.
Best correcting polish?
Best finishing polish?
Best wax after those steps?
Old 02-09-2019, 11:06 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

I used Zaino's ZPC for polishing, and Zaino's Z-2, 4 coats

Old 02-09-2019, 11:45 PM
Ladensack3
Instructor

What does zpc stand for? Also did it take out swirl marks and small scratches?
Old 02-09-2019, 11:46 PM
Ladensack3
Instructor

By the way your car came out very nice!
Old 02-10-2019, 01:00 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Ladensack3
What does zpc stand for? Also did it take out swirl marks and small scratches?
Paint Cleaner and yes it does remove minor scratches and swirls
Zaino Fusion Paint Cleaner
ON that car I believe I used the PC 7424 and a orange LC pad
Old 02-10-2019, 01:28 AM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I started out with Meguairs 105 on 6" Orange Pad and Finished with 205 On White Pad
with my 7424XP...

Ive now switched to Meguairs 100 on Micro Fiber Pad as they do better faster job at removing
ALL the scratches and swirls

I also bought a 3" Backing Plate and 3" Lake Country Microfiber pads as Ive found the 3" size
easier to maneuver in and around many of the Corvette body shapes/spaces

I also suggest you get an original AC/Delco paint pen/paint brush all in one mfg by
DupliColor I believe. Im using the paint pen to fill in tiny chips in the clear coat

Chuck Sharin Auburn,WA Inferno Orange 2012 Grand Sport
Old 02-10-2019, 01:43 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Ok I just purchased a porter cable 7424xp. I am planning on doing a paint correction come spring.
i want to buy the best for these 3 steps. I know Adams is a sponsor and have heard great things, but regardless of brand what’s the best in your opinion.
Best correcting polish?
Best finishing polish?
Best wax after those steps?
I copied my reply from your last thread about this...

There really is no "best". There are many good products available, and some work better for different paints, and when applied using different pads. However, if you want a "mirror shine", you will likely have to use a couple different polishes and pads, and step down in aggression. I was able to get my car's paint about as shiny as I could using my 7424XP and 5.5" pads, but I did quite a few steps to get there, and I tried quite a few different products along the way. Current condition of my car was achieved using:

Correction
Microfiber cutting pads and 3D "HD Cut Plus" compound
Green foam polishing pads and Poorboy's World "SSR-1".
Blue foam polishing pads and Poorboy's World "Pro Polish".
Protection/Appearance
Black foam finishing pads and Poorboy's World "Black Hole" show glaze.
Red foam finishing pads and Collinite 845 base sealant/wax
Red foam hand applicators and Griot's Garage "Best Of Show" topper wax

Old 02-10-2019, 03:47 PM
Ladensack3
Instructor

Looks great!! What are your opinions on pinnacle and Adams? They both have a 2 step process of swirl mark removing polish and finishing polish. Thoughts on this?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:26 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Looks great!! What are your opinions on pinnacle and Adams? They both have a 2 step process of swirl mark removing polish and finishing polish. Thoughts on this?
I use some Pinnacle products, but nothing for correcting. I use a ton of Adam's products, but have only used the Adam's Finishing Polish for any correcting. It works pretty well, but it is expensive. A little 8oz bottle costs more than some 16oz bottles of polish from anyone else.

The problem with recommending the "perfect" products for you is that nobody knows what condition your paint is in except for you. Grzldvt1 was able to take out his swirls with Zaino ZPC on an LC orange foam pad. I was able to get 90% of my swirls out with Poorboy's World SSR-1 polish on an LC green pad. However, I had some deeper defects on my hood and trunk lid that required a compound on microfiber pads first. You might not need anything more aggressive than a finishing polish to remove your swirls. .

There are some proven combos that seem to work for the majority of people trying to correct minor scratches and swirls:
Meguiar's M100 or M105 followed by M205
Menzerna FG400 followed by SF3500 or SF3800.
Griot's Garage BOSS "Fast Correcting Cream" followed by "Perfecting Cream".

Grzldvt1 does detailing for a living, so he is the one who can make better suggestions than I can.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:12 PM
Ladensack3
Instructor

Awesome feedback!! My lemans blue c6 paint is actually pretty good but just needs some swirl removing and I want to make the best reflections possible. I know my paint won’t need severe correcting.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:02 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

My lemans blue c6 paint is actually pretty good but just needs some swirl removing and I want to make the best reflections possible. I know my paint won’t need severe correcting.
Well, you might be okay with just a finishing polish and a white foam pad. You want to try the least aggressive method possible first. If you use a product like 3D "One" or Optimum "Hyper Polish", you could try a white polishing pad first, and step up to an orange pad or even a microfiber pad if necessary.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:14 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'm just an amateur here with obviously no credibility....I get that

FYRARMS and Grzldxxxxx, I respect your work and experience
Before I started reading Corvette Forum and AutoGeek (Mike Phillips) I was taking
my advice from the Pro writers at The Detailed Image.Com

I spent significant $$ buying ALL the colors of 6" Foam pads, along with Meg's 105 and 205
and Menzera ??? and Black Diamond NightFire Sealant, etc etc
I bought my INFERNO ORANGE 2012 Grand Sport in April of 2018 and really got into detailing.
I was having trouble removing "everything" with M105 and Orange Lake Country Flat Foam.

My Real Name is still Chuck Sharin Auburn,WA

Curious if any of the above Pros are now finishing their polishing with Ceramic Coating from Feynlab
and Kamakaze etc ..........Yes I know you are!!!!!!!!

I'm still thinking that 3M XPEL Ultimate on at least my Front Bumper Facia would be a good move
but Im not done with my correction yet
I read about and bought M100 and the Megs MicroFiber 6"Pads. Much better taking out all the
clear coat scratches. Ive since bought 3" Micro Fiber pads as I find it easier, better to maneuver
into/around areas of the C6.

Ive also purchased 3" 5000grit 3M TriZact wet discs and using those sparingly to level the touchups
Ive done with the AC Delco paint pen and clear foam brush.

Meguairs with all its $$ and chemists has developed some great products. I dont understand why
so many amateur's HERE want to reject them and not believe the truth that I write.
Is there something about Meguiars being the BIG #1 so phychlogially some people wanna
go with the smaller company

Chuck Sharin Auburn,WA

Last edited by CamarosRus; 02-11-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:55 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by CamarosRus
Meguairs with all its $$ and chemists has developed some great products. I dont understand why
so many amateur's HERE want to reject them and not believe the truth that I write.
Is there something about Meguiars being the BIG #1 so phychlogially some people wanna
go with the smaller company

Chuck Sharin Auburn,WA
Not all products work with all paints and some products work better than Megs on something like Subaru paint (soft). Add to that personal preference and the options are limitless. I gave M105 a go once but it's kinda dusty and can be a PIA to use on some paints. While there are a lot of tricks to using it, why bother with that when other compounds are a squirt and go proposition, wiping off much easier than M105.

I do like some Megs stuff, M101 is a killer compound for heavy stuff without some of the peculiarities of M105. On our black 2004 that had many etched waterspots, Megs D300 on microfiber did a quicker and better job than M101 on yellow LC Foam...dunno why, it just did.

Being the biggest does not always equate to being the best and different situations call for different products. Some folks prefer the SMAT technology of Meguiars stuff, others prefer the DAT technology of other brands compounds and polishes. "Find what you like and use it often..." it's been said and personal preference along with the lack of a true "1 size fits all" product leads to people seeking that product which best fits their needs, styles, and the job at hand.

FWIW, no pro here...

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 02-11-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:49 PM
Ladensack3
Instructor

Bump

Get notified of new replies

To Best polish for lemans blue?

Quick Reply: Best polish for lemans blue?