Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Teach me on what I need for ceramic coatings

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 04:39 AM
0EricAvalonKing
Former Vendor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vader86
So what is the primary difference you guys see when you try out different brands of coating?

Are more coats better or do multiples detract from the shine?
I'll let someone else comment on the brands.

For the multiple coats, it will depend on the manufacturer, for some more coats would be recommended for some less. With our coating, Armor Shield IX, I wouldn't go over 3 layers as it is quite thick inherently. I think also fair to say, that for most manufacturers doing multiple coats up to a maximum recommended number is both beneficial and improves the depth of the finish.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:48 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

One other question I had about flashing times. I gather that different brands will do it at different times. I waited until the blackfire dried itself into a "rainbow" look, usually took just a couple minutes in the 70F garage. Then I just wiped it smooth. I didn't know if I was supposed to let it sit any further length of time before using the MF to wipe it clear.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:48 AM
0EricAvalonKing
Former Vendor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vader86
One other question I had about flashing times. I gather that different brands will do it at different times. I waited until the blackfire dried itself into a "rainbow" look, usually took just a couple minutes in the 70F garage. Then I just wiped it smooth. I didn't know if I was supposed to let it sit any further length of time before using the MF to wipe it clear.
It is true that flash times will depend between manufacturers according to the temperature but yeah if you can see the rainbow effect that would be the best indicator that it is ready to wipe and quickly buff with a microfiber cloth.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Underachieved
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread needs a sticky. Props to EAK for taking the time.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:02 AM
twiget
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 111 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified

Lot's of great info in this thread, thanks @vader86 for asking the questions.

I've got a couple more questions though.

1. Can we use ceramic coatings on glass, the CF aero bits, head & tail lights ect...?

2. My car's got Carbon Flash racing stripes and I don't want a glossy shine on them. I'm going to apply some painters tape to the stripes before I do the coating. Is there a non-shiny alternative to ceramic coats for the stripes?

3. What about wheel coatings? Are they heat sensitive? I assume the best way to do those is to remove the wheels from the car?
The following users liked this post:
ZimC6 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 12:35 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I use Rain-X or a McKees 37 glass ceramic coating, they basically work the same. Work about the same.

Gyeon Rim is formulated for wheels, and yes remove the wheel from the car so you get it spotless and can get into the nooks easier.

Quick Reply: Teach me on what I need for ceramic coatings