Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Brown spots on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 07:00 PM
Pete Schweaty
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Brown spots on wheels

I’m looking for some advice on cleaning wheels. My wheels are in pretty decent shape but have noticed a couple of brown spots that have shown up recently. I tried claying them yesterday with little (no) success. Any pointers on how to fix this and preventing it from happening in the future?

Old 03-11-2019, 08:01 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Something has stained the clear coat. I would treat it just like the paint on the car using various compounds to remove the damaged clear coat. You might be able to do it by hand but a 3" polishing pad on a drill would most likely be the best approach. It may be that the stain is all the way through the clear and cannot be removed. To have the wheels reconditioned by a professional wheel shop usually runs around $100 each.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:02 PM
Pete Schweaty
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Something has stained the clear coat. I would treat it just like the paint on the car using various compounds to remove the damaged clear coat. You might be able to do it by hand but a 3" polishing pad on a drill would most likely be the best approach. It may be that the stain is all the way through the clear and cannot be removed. To have the wheels reconditioned by a professional wheel shop usually runs around $100 each.
Thanks. I guess I'll hit it with the DA next weekend.
The following users liked this post:
cmonkey713 (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 08:35 AM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

I would try to polish a spot out by hand before Ii used a DA.

Get notified of new replies

To Brown spots on wheels

Quick Reply: Brown spots on wheels