Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Opinions on, or do you use, waterless car washing sprays?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 08:18 PM
2019Vette
Pro

Received 325 Likes on 154 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
Default Opinions on, or do you use, waterless car washing sprays?

Evening all, looking for some advice!

Having recently bought my Corvette I’m looking for the most convenient way to keep it sparkling clean. I have no issue with getting the hose, buckets, sponges, mits out etc at the weekend. But after having it parked at the office collecting pollen or dust all day I’m wondering what’s best to use to spray it down and wipe before putting it to bed in the garage..

now, obviously if it’s ‘dirty’ a wash is the best solution, but to polish it up and get the dust from the day off, what do you all use? Or advise?

anyone use the chemical guys spray, think it’s called eco wash, or the Meguiars waterless wash and wax spray?

thank you in advance for any tips!
Old 03-15-2019, 12:03 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,225 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Any good detail spray and soft microfiber towels will do the trick. However, I do quite a bit of waterless washing and rinseless washing on my cars, so I use a concentrated product and makes gallons of wash solution. I am copying and pasting my response from another post I replied in...

"For waterless wash needs, you guys MUST buy a 16oz bottle of Wolfgang "Uber Rinseless Wash" concentrate. It is just $20 for the bottle, and you dilute it with water for different uses. For a very slick and glossy waterless wash spray, you just add 1/3oz to 16oz of water! Guys, that is literally 6 gallons of waterless wash solution for $20. Read the reviews online. The stuff is amazing."

Old 03-15-2019, 12:24 AM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

Coincidentally, Griot's Garage sent an email this morning with a car wash comparison that you might find useful.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:40 AM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Love the Wolfgang. One of the only products that I repeat buy.

Last edited by myredhead1; 03-15-2019 at 01:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 01:45 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Never. I don't care how well they advertise. Would you use waterless products on your dinner plates?

Rinse off with warm water.

Wash with lots of soapy water.

Rinse off.

Wash with "waxy water" (almost like using the clearcoat protectant at a Do-It-Yourself Car Wash. Small amount of wax liquified in the warm water.

Rinse.

Master Blaster Dry.
stig-zzz (04-12-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 07:56 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,432 Likes on 2,797 Posts

I use waterless wash for touch ups like removing bird poops.I cant imagine doing the whole car with it.

I think its really aimed at people in CA where the state wont allow them to wash their car normally.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:03 AM
SlothX311
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

FYRARMS hit the nail right on the head. Detail spray and soft microfiber towels will get the job done. General rule of thumb, you want to minimize the risk for scratches by always putting a lubricant between anything touching your paint.

Some other tips between washes:
  1. Don't use quick detail on glass (most have wax in them)
  2. Don't use it on wheels
  3. Don't cross contaminate your microfiber towels. Designate a color for paint, a color for trim and running boards, another for wheels, another for glass, etc.
FYRARMS (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 08:17 AM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

for pollen, you always want to hose off and wash, as pollen will scratch the paint. The rinseless wash is ok for light dust, but that's as far as I would go.
I mainly use the Wolfgang Rinseless wash as a detail spray to clay with.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:31 AM
2019Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Never. I don't care how well they advertise. Would you use waterless products on your dinner plates?

Rinse off with warm water.

Wash with lots of soapy water.

Rinse off.

Wash with "waxy water" (almost like using the clearcoat protectant at a Do-It-Yourself Car Wash. Small amount of wax liquified in the warm water.

Rinse.

Master Blaster Dry.
thats what I would do weekly/at weekends And allow a couple of hours, but I don’t have that kind of time, or daylight when getting home at 7pm, and only having driven maybe 10 miles at 30mph to the office, where the only debris on it is dust or pollen. But it sounds like you are definitely against these types of sprays, so good to know!
Old 03-15-2019, 08:31 AM
2019Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by KyJim
for pollen, you always want to hose off and wash, as pollen will scratch the paint. The rinseless wash is ok for light dust, but that's as far as I would go.
I mainly use the Wolfgang Rinseless wash as a detail spray to clay with.
i did Not know pollen could scratch paint! Thank you!!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:19 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

used the uber rinseless wash and was satisfied . switched to ''adams'' products when autogeek listed uber rinseless in half gallon size and refused to sell it to me . i prefer the adams products and their attitude toward customers . ''adams'' products work just as advertised/demoed and wifes cars have NEVER looked better and the application of their products is easy [ and i'll be eighty in a couple months and do four cars ] . lastly , i'd used ''zaino'' products for a long time and after using ''adams'' would never switch back . . . peace
Old 03-15-2019, 01:18 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
To remove dust? Absolutely. Do you fully wash your dinner plates every time you take them out from the cupboard? I am guessing you don't. These waterless wash products and detail sprays are designed specifically for the purpose we use them for. They loosen and lift dust and mild dirt, and lubricate the surface so your towel does not scratch. In fact, most of the synthetic sprays contain anti-static properties, to help reduce the amount of dust in the future. I don't care about advertising, either. I care about real-world results from those who use them. Many, many, professional detailers use waterless/rinseless wash products all the time with great success. I mean, I don't think there are many detailers who don't have at least one bottle of OPT "No-Rinse" in their arsenal.

Personally, I last two-bucket method soap-washed my C5Z in April of 2018. It will get it's second soap wash this April. All I used last year for cleaning the paint was waterless wash solution, followed by detail spray or spray wax. Now that I think about it, I didn't even use soap on my wheels, despite the heavy dusting from the Wilwood track pads. I just cleaned them with iron/fallout remover, hose rinsed them off, and wiped them down with synthetic spray sealant. Easy.

My paint is swirl/scratch-free, glows like crazy, and is smooth as can be. Again, I don't use waterless wash products for "dirty" cars. I use them for "dusty" cars.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:23 PM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

I've been using Chadwick's Triple Play for several years. Very happy with it..
Old 03-15-2019, 01:28 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SlothX311
  1. Don't use quick detail on glass (most have wax in them)
  2. Don't use it on wheels
For sure. I use both Kenotek Showroom Shine and P&S Bead Maker on glass and wheels. I also like the Chemical Guys "Extreme Slick Synthetic" acrylic-based spray. They all help reduce static, too. I have also found that the only product I can use in direct sunlight on hot paint and glass that won't streak or leave a haze is my Wolfgang Uber. I actually have an empty Adam's detail spray bottle in my trunk bag that contains a heavier detail spray dilution ratio of the Uber waterless wash concentrate. It works great at car shows for removing dust in the hot sun.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:10 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

With the water quality we don't have here in the desert I find waterless is the way to go for me. If I use water to wash I feel the amount of white spots is worse then waterless wash with micro fiber towels. Even on a cloudy day the water dries way to fast to avoid spotting and I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on a filter system for the water.
I use Adams products with their towels and don't really notice any scratches or swirls so I guess all is good, with the above reviews on Wolfgang maybe I'll give them a try.
FYRARMS (03-15-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 06:37 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Originally Posted by bigcypress
used the uber rinseless wash and was satisfied . switched to ''adams'' products when autogeek listed uber rinseless in half gallon size and refused to sell it to me . i prefer the adams products and their attitude toward customers . ''adams'' products work just as advertised/demoed and wifes cars have NEVER looked better and the application of their products is easy [ and i'll be eighty in a couple months and do four cars ] . lastly , i'd used ''zaino'' products for a long time and after using ''adams'' would never switch back . . . peace
I'm liking the rinseless wash best over the spray on/waterless. In my case I use the Griot's rinseless wash and it does a great job and is pretty time efficient. If the car is very lightly dirty I'lll use the waterless. But with more moderate dirt I think it just takes longer.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:58 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I think its really aimed at people in CA where the state wont allow them to wash their car normally.
During the drought a few years ago, I discovered Meguiar's G3626 Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax -- huge fan. Still using it occasionally.

However, to remove dust and pollen on a daily basis, I have also discovered Meguiar's Gold Class Premium Quik Detailer, which is formulated for black cars. If you use enough product, you don't need to worry about scratches, imho.

So, yes, I use waterless products. I get a lot of compliments on my car, so I must be doing something right.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on, or do you use, waterless car washing sprays?

Old 03-16-2019, 10:07 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I use Chadwick on glass and wheels.

Have tried a lot of different detail sprays for removal of light dust on paint, but currently am very pleased with a DIY mixture of CarPro EcH2O, CarPro Reload, and distilled water mixed at a 1:1:14 ratio. Found that tip on some website a while back ago and sort of dismissed it, but I had the two products sitting on a shelf and tried it. My go-to mixture now.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:39 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

I have a black 05 GTO that has been washed with water 4 or 5 times, all the rest of the time I use Waterless Wash.
My paint is better than when new not scratched or swirled.
So I am a big fan of WW.
https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...-car-wash.html
https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...waterless.html
FYRARMS (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 05:14 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Originally Posted by Adam's Polish
I have a black 05 GTO that has been washed with water 4 or 5 times, all the rest of the time I use Waterless Wash.
My paint is better than when new not scratched or swirled.
So I am a big fan of WW.
https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...-car-wash.html
https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...waterless.html
Good to know. Black is the ultimate test!

Quick Reply: Opinions on, or do you use, waterless car washing sprays?